Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
A source for Tein and KW coilovers.

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Tein...t-12880-1.html
http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Mits..._Ralliart.html
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Tein makes probably one of the best Twin Tube coilovers out there the the 2000 and under price point. But the main focus of this kit is Street with some decent track capability. A bonus to this package would be the electronic dampening control.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

If they make the Flex, they may be able to make the Monoflex. The Monoflex is quite a bit better. It certainly doesn't hurt to call and ask.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor

If they make the Flex, they may be able to make the Monoflex. The Monoflex is quite a bit better. It certainly doesn't hurt to call and ask.
I spoke to Tein in depth about the subject. They are not likely to offer a monotube option. They feel the current offering is enough with Street performance as their goal / focus. It sucks for a guy who has a ralliart and wishes to compete on a seriously level. Because a Tein Monoflex would be great.

There are not many track oriented options for the Ralliart. Manufacturers see the Ralliart more related to the Lancers than the EVO X unfortunately.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

AST is an option, if you have the money and the time to work with them for a custom kit. ASTs are one of the better track oriented manufacturers out there. A few people have reported switching to AST kits from Tein or other kits have shaved seconds off their lap times.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_soul
...There are not many track oriented options for the Ralliart. Manufacturers see the Ralliart more related to the Lancers than the EVO X unfortunately.
Nail.hit.head. Seems to be only street stuff offered and just enough for the mildly modded.

The AST sounds interesting though - $5k+ price bracket I assume?

What might have been if the RA was a greater success sales wise (always wonder how well it would have gone if a manual option was offered ie wrx) and the aftermarket support that would have invariably been followed.

Last edited by billyboy1; Jun 16, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

I'll find the info on AST for you. I've seen kits from them for under $2000. If I remember right, AST bought or was bought by Moton.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.ast-suspension.com/index.asp

I checked, they make kits using the 5100, 5200 and 5300 for various Evo models. I know that's not directly relevant but it may be worth checking if any older Evo struts work on the Ralliart. I'd send them a quick email and see what they can do. Maybe if you send them a stock front and stock rear strut, they can make a kit for you.

To give you an idea of pricing,

$1900 for a Clubsport kit

http://949racing.com/xida-club-sport...ver-miata.aspx

$2700 for a kit with aluminum top mounts and dual springs

http://949racing.com/xida-scoiloversmiata.aspx

$4300 for a double adjustable kit with aluminum top mounts, dual springs and remote reservoirs

http://949racing.com/xida-coilover-miata.aspx

Last edited by ambystom01; Jun 16, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Not bad, after your post I went onto their site and saw the options for the evos but not ralliart - should be interesting to see what they can come back with

Another side note, the RL are a mono tube design. What i might also do is to see if can get my existing coil overs modified with their competition spec ones - or reuse my brackets...

Last edited by billyboy1; Jun 16, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Although what I've found so far in emails/calls, if a company doesn't offer a product that will suit the ralliart, they arent keen on investigating it further
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by billyboy1
Although what I've found so far in emails/calls, if a company doesn't offer a product that will suit the ralliart, they arent keen on investigating it further
This brings us back to the problem I talked about in a few other posts/threads previously. If a manufacturer makes a coilover for the Ralliart, they are likely going to make it compatible for both the Ralliart / Lancer because it makes economical sense. The make two different kits just wouldnt net them any sales. This is why I am somewhat happy for the range of coilovers available for our cars. The fact that any are making coilovers specifically spec'd to the Ralliart is even better. But as you can see the odds are forever stacked against the Ralliart from becoming what it truly wants to be. A Seriously platform that can put down some decent power and fun. Its kinda tough being having the soul of an evo but being stuck in a Lancer body. lol

Everyone here will have an opinion. Go with the one that makes practical sense to you. And let us know what you ended up going with.

Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:20 PM

Yep, once again you're 100% right, I'm just here to argue. That's why I actually went to Tirerack to find that KW does indeed make kits for the Ralliart, and provided a link.
KW only makes the V2s which are not track suitable. So again you grasp for straws.

cheapest KWs are far more track suited than anything by Fortune Auto, Ksport, Megan, etc.
Uh.... Sure. I love how you say this while knowing nothing about anything you are talking about. I'll take Fortune Auto 510s over KW V2s who not even KW recommends the V2s for track use...

Please know what you are talking about.... I mean really.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Uh.... Sure. I love how you say this while knowing nothing about anything you are talking about. I'll take Fortune Auto 510s over KW V2s who not even KW recommends the V2s for track use...

x2
I'll gladly take 510's with custom built digressive valved coilovers over simplistic, generic KW V2 any day. Track driving is not about compliance, it's about driver input. Any company who provides a shock dyno for EVERY coilover they make is on the right track. Let alone continuous improvements in technology, by releasing newly improved versions every 6 months (Gen 4's just came out, praise allah!)

cheapest KWs are far more track suited than anything by Fortune Auto, Ksport, Megan, etc.
Talk about spreading false nonsense. At this point I'm grateful you don't have a Ralliart, some noob might read this and get the wrong impression you have a clue.

Last edited by sstevojr; Jun 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nv82
KW only makes the V2s which are not track suitable. So again you grasp for straws.

What makes them not track suitable? Moreover, the title itself says "street and track". The OP is, based on this, looking for a dual purpose setup, not some hardcore track setup. The original post:

Originally Posted by billyboy1
Hey guys, been reading through this forum re options for coilovers - i currently run racing logic coilovers, but the front left is shagged, so on the look out for a new set. my home track has quite a few left handers, so that may have hastened its demise along with the pot holes often found on this side of the road (well, the way we drive backwards here in aus anyway ).

so rather than get a replacement set, looking at other options, probably a step up as i'll be doing a bit more track work, but still need to retain its DD capabilities.

Any recommendations for something that i can track/street it with?
Plenty of people track off the shelf KWs that are not their hardcore track setups. For a dual purpose kit, I think KW is a good choice. If I recall correctly, the KW body is rust resistant/proof and they offer free lifetime rebuilds. But no, I don't know what I'm talking about, I've only been modifying and racing cars for 5+ years now . If you're in the realm of custom revalves, like the person below has suggested, you can do the same with KW, Tein or really any of the other major brands.

Originally Posted by sstevojr
x2
I'll gladly take 510's with custom built digressive valved coilovers over simplistic, generic KW V2 any day. Track driving is not about compliance, it's about driver input. Any company who provides a shock dyno for EVERY coilover they make is on the right track. Let alone continuous improvements in technology, by releasing newly improved versions every 6 months (Gen 4's just came out, praise allah!)

Talk about spreading false nonsense. At this point I'm grateful you don't have a Ralliart, some noob might read this and get the wrong impression you have a clue.
Oh the ironing .

Last edited by ambystom01; Jun 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
What makes them not track suitable? Moreover, the title itself says "street and track". The OP is, based on this, looking for a dual purpose setup, not some hardcore track setup. Plenty of people track off the shelf KWs that are not their hardcore track setups. For a dual purpose kit, I KW is a good choice. If I recall correctly, the KW body is rust resistant/proof and they offer free lifetime rebuilds. But no, I don't know what I'm talking about, I've only been modifying and racing cars for 5+ years now .
On my Evo 8, I was 2 secs slower with "off the shelf" KW V3's compared to the "Cheap" crackerjack $1,000 Apexi ExV's I had before. Only change being the coilovers.

My point is, not all "cheap" coilovers suck. This reminds me of peoples viewpoints on Rotas...

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Coilovers - Street and Track