Notices

Coilovers - Street and Track

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilovers - Street and Track

Hey guys, been reading through this forum re options for coilovers - i currently run racing logic coilovers, but the front left is shagged, so on the look out for a new set. my home track has quite a few left handers, so that may have hastened its demise along with the pot holes often found on this side of the road (well, the way we drive backwards here in aus anyway ).

so rather than get a replacement set, looking at other options, probably a step up as i'll be doing a bit more track work, but still need to retain its DD capabilities.

Any recommendations for something that i can track/street it with?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by billyboy1
Hey guys, been reading through this forum re options for coilovers - i currently run racing logic coilovers, but the front left is shagged, so on the look out for a new set. my home track has quite a few left handers, so that may have hastened its demise along with the pot holes often found on this side of the road (well, the way we drive backwards here in aus anyway ).

so rather than get a replacement set, looking at other options, probably a step up as i'll be doing a bit more track work, but still need to retain its DD capabilities.

Any recommendations for something that i can track/street it with?
While I am a fan of a few coilover setups. I would have to say that the HSD coilovers would be your best bet for both comfort as a daily driver and as an Autocross capable option. The number one trait would be reliability. I have had mine for over a year, and a good chunk of my local car club that made a coilover upgrade, went to that option. The only compliant that comes up is the fact that you can't super slam the coilover in the front. So if you are looking to do killer drops, you may want to consider other brands.

I think there is an HSD Aussie distributor (OTO)

hope that helps.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

thanks mate - appreciate the info
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Fortune Auto now makes the 510 specifically for RA
I'm thinking of selling my BR's w/ Swift's to buy a custom set of 510
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

i've never heard of fortune auto before - are they a decent bit of kit?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Search for their reviews on the X's (especially EvoX Forum). FA is one of the few manufactures to openly post their plots; both 510's and the Dreadnoughts seem to be valved pretty good for track duty (not that I'm an authority).
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

anything has to be better than BC valving!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:08 PM

Fortune Auto has had some really good reviews especially since all of their coilovers are track tested.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
anything has to be better than BC valving!
Be nice, they are the Cadillac of cheap DD
With that said, they are several teams who use/win with ER's
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

wow, they do seem pretty good from people's experiences this could be right on the mark! (the fortune auto that is)

Last edited by billyboy1; Jun 14, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:33 AM

I would still take fortune auto coilovers over BCs.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Be nice, they are the Cadillac of cheap DD
With that said, they are several teams who use/win with ER's
yeah, actually you're right. I am being a bit harsh. BC's are pretty good for a cheap option honestly, especially for RAs who don't have much to choose from
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:23 PM
Former Sponsor

I have owned BC coilovers on previous cars. Twice...

The most positive thing I can say about BC would be their Post warranty service. The first time I required warranty replacement it took a while to get it, but I got it. Keep in mind I live in Canada. But the still delivered. The second time it was a very quick turn around time. BC deserves to be taken seriously because they have gotten extremely good at the warranty side of things. That said... I wasn't thrilled that my dampers had failed a few months beyond my one year warranty. To be fair my last ownership experience was 5 years ago. My last use was about 2 years ago working on a project car for a full month.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Stay away from cheap crap like Megan, Ksport, HSD, Fortune Auto, etc. If it's made in Korea, Taiwan or China, don't buy it. You can find good reviews for any product out there, so the fact somebody on the internet likes it shouldn't be given much weight. Personally if I was going to buy a kit for dual purpose, I'd go with Bilstein, KW or Ohlin. While the japanese makers, like Tein, make good track kits, they're valved quite stiff and can be rough on streets that aren't glass smooth. The european makers, on the other hand, are valved much nicer for dual purpose. When it comes to car parts, I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. If you don't recognize a brand and it's not popular among championship winning racers, it's not worth your business.

KW- Variant 2

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...dClar=Ralliart
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Stay away from cheap crap like Megan, Ksport, HSD, Fortune Auto, etc. If it's made in Korea, Taiwan or China, don't buy it. You can find good reviews for any product out there, so the fact somebody on the internet likes it shouldn't be given much weight. Personally if I was going to buy a kit for dual purpose, I'd go with Bilstein, KW or Ohlin. While the japanese makers, like Tein, make good track kits, they're valved quite stiff and can be rough on streets that aren't glass smooth. The european makers, on the other hand, are valved much nicer for dual purpose. When it comes to car parts, I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. If you don't recognize a brand and it's not popular among championship winning racers, it's not worth your business.

KW- Variant 2

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...dClar=Ralliart
You will not get an argument from me about how good KW coilovers are. But the argument of buying or not buying things based on where they are made just doesn't hold water anymore. The cold hard fact is almost everything is made in China or (Not in the USA). And as with anything, quality will always varies greatly, regardless of where they are made. It all comes down to quality standards and R&D. Some companies are committed to pump out a better product. While others dont improve, grow, and make new and better stuff.

I hate to make a none automotive reference, but Apple is a good example. IPhones are all the rage right now. In the beginning, I think the story started out that the term "shuffle" actually had to do with the fact that the devices would always need warranty work. You would need to always bring it in and get a new one. Funny enough I think Apple coined the word shuffle in to their IPOD.... and over time that product an many more after it became ubber popular to the masses. But for the longest time these devices are made in China. So to use a certain country and say what ever comes out of there is crap... doesn't hold water. Fast forward to today.... the largest or second largest company in the world, has made a good chunk of their money on product made in China. I personally am not an apple fan.... but I give them the respect they deserve for making an interesting product line up that for the most part the masses accept as a worthy product.

Now you might say... well thats a consumer electronic related matter. True!!!.

But this occurs in just about every type of product that is out there.

Hyundai for example, a Korean company.... many laughed about how terrible the quality was. They wouldn't last 3 years. Heck even my family burried an old Daewoo at 3 years + 2 weeks after buying it. lol But fast forward to today... the product quality and attention to detail has remarkably increased. I am not saying they make the best cars in the world. But they have spent money in R&D and hiring fresh blood from competitors and seriously turned themselves around. So at the very least you can say they have put themselves in a position that deserves some respect.

Getting back to the suspension products that we are surounded by today for the Ralliart and other Mitsubishi vehicles.

There is no doubt, there are some products that have a years of R&D poured into them and many continue to refine their products to keep them fresh. But to assume that there is nothing else out there based on region or country of manufacture, is a tad foolish. Companies constantly look at their competition and attempt to make a better product. Companies that make something to copy something else usually do not survive very long because of very real risks.

1) Quality of the copy is poor and the brand gets a bad reputation
2) Patent infringement law and import restrictions
3) Time and lack of R&D or vision

These companies simply run out of money, go back to being underground, or get sued into the stone age.

My main point is, these companies dont last very long and tend to go out of business. The product they make disappears.

I cant speak for all of the brands that you mentioned in your "ban list" Megan, Ksport, HSD, Fortune Auto, Tein. But some of them have earned the right to compete in the marketplace and its the market place that determines what is good or bad.

* BC & Megan have been around for a while.... while I dont think their product is near the high end of things. I base my opinion of them based on the fact that they were able to tighten their quality control a quite a bit and their Post Warranty spare parts and rebuilding program got way better. People still buy them... and they are still alive. I can respect that. They make ok monotube coilover. (I have tested them recently and owned them in the past, but wouldnt buy them again, because longevity is a very important factor in owning upgraded suspension)

* Tein, after meeting with Tein reps on multiple occasions, I continue to have a new found respect about their product scope and technical advantage in R&D. Tein gets a bad rep in my opinion because people purchase the wrong coilover for the wrong purpose. Their quality control was pretty good too. But if you trying to track your car on SS twin tube coilovers using your OE top mount and complain it doesnt track well or blew. Well you may deserve what happened. And usually someone somewhere offered them the right coilover for their car and application but they thought it was too expensive. I frequently see this! But does Tein deserve to be in this space. Yes... Because you have to respect what they do in all circles of motorsports. Rally, Drift, Time Attrack, endurance off road... etc.. etc... (I would buy tein if I had a specific purpose in motorsports, while expensive, they still are a worthy option)

* Fortune & Ksport, I have no experience testing. But I have already set aside a budget to test them on the lancer application so I have first hand feedback.

* HSD, well, what can I say.... they are probably one of the top 2 or 3 coilover brands I would buy for my Mitsubishi's, and recommend to others. 2 years ago, I really researched what coilover was best for my Lancer and other project cars. And how I came across HSD was on the UK EVO forums. But I didnt just sit there and read reviews and became convinced it was a worthy option. For sh^@ts and giggles I actually message people who owned the kit on their EVO's going as far back as 2007 and asked them, about the review or comments they posted and what happend to their kit ever since. To my surprise, of the 10 or so people I ended up contacting said they still had the kit installed on their car and had nothing but praises. And thats what sealed the deal for me. Get first hand feedback from users that know about suspension, drive it as a daily driver + competes with it. Fast forward to today, others around me here run the kit and love it too. I recommend HSD as my go too kit because its reliable as **$#, comfortable, and can be configured to handle well on track setups. And if you dont believe me... try it or speak to someone who has. Do what I did. message a complete stranger from a post 3 years ago.

* Bilstein, KW or Ohlin are great brands that for years... if not since the beginning of time, have stood behind their product from day one. Bilstein has earned the respect of the aftermarket motorsports community and OE community for years. Ohlin and KW right up there as well. Full service options, customizability, full life warranty coverage.... they are the real deal. And if you want to pay for the best... you dont need to look further. I have been fortunate enough to drive setups with Ohlins, but never owned one. KW I have frequently tested and never been disapointed. Its just in my younger days here in Canada these options were priced so over my head... it wasnt funny. Our currency exchange rate was 1.55 to 1 . It was brutal. Today with an even dollar searching for a coilover option isnt that painful. Also today, the product has come down in price slighly and more affordable options are available. $1,786.00 for the KW coilover V2 is a pretty good deal. and I would recommend that option for someone who wants a well built coilover option that is fully backed by the manufacturer against defects for the lifetime of the product.

My two cents...

(typed on a Blackberry Playbook, not a ipad) lol

Quick Reply: Coilovers - Street and Track