Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got mine from JB autosports as well. Good people
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crak
why did you get 9k and 10k? opposed to 10kF/8kR for the track?

Do you also need top hats to lower the noise the coilovers make?
Cuz 10 is too hard and 8 is too soft
It depends on how you are using the car, nothing suspension is black and white.
Standard street set-ups use higher rates in the front cuz that's where all the weight is (engine/tranny etc), and they are not intended to be driven hard. But for the track you want them to be at least the same (like 9/9 or 10/10). For my suspension/rear diff it's better to have the rear's slightly stiffer than the front. Conversely, for the X you want the front and rears to be the same (great chassis balance, and an electronic rear diff).
I've been using 8/7, and the fronts need just a bit more stiffness for my liking (so I went to 9). By bumping the rear's up a bit more, it helps the mechanical diff to rotate easier (electronic diffs don't care) as well as high speed stability (nothing scarier than the back end starting to bounce at 120mph in T8 of Big Willow). I "was" going to do 9/11, but I chickened out (still my DD).

Unless you get really high rates (like 14+) helper springs are pointless.
Roller bearing are to help keep the ruckus to a minimum.
As for Swift's....well their reputation preceed's them (and they made a DRAMATIC improvement in my BR's when I upgraded after the fact).
Last but not least, yes I got rear extenders (I'm going to have RRE do the install and cut through the two pieces of metal that encapsulates the rear strut tops)

Last edited by sstevojr; Oct 10, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sstevojr
Cuz 10 is too hard and 8 is too soft
It depends on how you are using the car, nothing suspension is black and white.
Standard street set-ups use higher rates in the front cuz that's where all the weight is (engine/tranny etc), and they are not intended to be driven hard. But for the track you want them to be at least the same (like 9/9 or 10/10). For my suspension/rear diff it's better to have the rear's slightly stiffer than the front. Conversely, for the X you want the front and rears to be the same (great chassis balance, and an electronic rear diff).
I've been using 8/7, and the fronts need just a bit more stiffness for my liking (so I went to 9). By bumping the rear's up a bit more, it helps the mechanical diff to rotate easier (electronic diffs don't care) as well as high speed stability (nothing scarier than the back end starting to bounce at 120mph in T8 of Big Willow). I "was" going to do 9/11, but I chickened out (still my DD).

Unless you get really high rates (like 14+) helper springs are pointless.
Roller bearing are to help keep the ruckus to a minimum.
As for Swift's....well their reputation preceed's them (and they made a DRAMATIC improvement in my BR's when I upgraded after the fact).
Last but not least, yes I got rear extenders (I'm going to have RRE do the install and cut through the two pieces of metal that encapsulates the rear strut tops)
I see you point on the spring setup. I just think that for autox and solo sprint you need different setups. What would you recommend for a autox setup? I'm trying to get an idea here. I need something stiffer, 9/9, im thinking, because I dont know if ill like 101/10
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

I would "think" that you want a really stiff rear end for max rotation. AutoX is all sharp turns, a few small straights, yes? 9/9 is as good starting point, worst case scenario you buy a new pair of springs for the rear (about $150 for a pair of Swift's).
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:33 PM

Is there a picture of the roller bearings?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

dubs
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluedevil500
Is there a picture of the roller bearings?
They come installed.
If you look at picture #5 of the OP you can see their profile (between the spring and the EDIT:top spring perch)
Or you can look on their website.

Last edited by sstevojr; Oct 11, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

you pick higher or equal rear spring rate because of the motion ratio. obviously they aren't the exact same as the Evo, but there's not much info to go on as far as RA's

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66230

and remember that there's not too much reason to go above 10k on street tires - they don't have the grip to support the spring rates

picking stiffer front rates "because we're nose heavy" is very one-dimensional thinking
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

and remember that there's not too much reason to go above 10k on street tires - they don't have the grip to support the spring rates

picking stiffer front rates "because we're nose heavy" is very one-dimensional thinking
Agreed. Many standard "street" coilover set-ups are "very one-dimensional".
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

I read that post, Andrew wrote

"For the front EVO with the strut based suspension, it's close to 1 (almost). For the rear, it's somewhere between .6 to .9".

So, if its off why should the spring rates be the same? Is it because the weight of the engine that compensates for the difference therefor the rates when getting springs should be identical? If they should be identical why are the rates different with stock suspension?

Im confused, at the start of the post you say to get equal F/R, but near the end guys are saying to get a stiffer rear. argh.

Last edited by crak; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

His comment was specifically for the VIII/IX, which is a FWD-based chassis. Those cars want a higher rate in the rear.
Same principle for the X, but a better balaced chassis, means the rears can be equal to the fronts.
The front supports the mass of the car, the rear supports less mass but also a less effective fulcrum point.
Mathematically speaking:
A ration of 1 eans 600=600
A ratio of .8 means 600=480
Notice how both use the same "spring rate" to support different mass??

SO, now we apply it our equally awesome chassis, with multi-link in front and rear. We should also have rates that are nearly the same.
Specifically FA defaults to a 8/7 configuration for the street ( seems like SOME manufactures actually check these things ahead of time, none of that 6/4 nonsense).
I choose to go 9/10 for a bit better rear end rotation, as our diff doesn't have the electronic clutch plates to push around grip (it also doesn't break from a violent sneezing, lol), so it needs a bit more to keep the rear end down on rotation(I'm also *** heavy by ~100 lbs).

Last edited by sstevojr; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, thats not a bad idea, I noticed when i do autox I have a **** ton of understeer. So, I might want to get a stiffer rear 9/10, to swing my *** end out more. I see where this is going now.

Right on. Thanks for clarifying that to me! (Who knows maybe at the time, my tire pressure sucked and thats' why I had understeer) Then again I had stock tires and suspension. Ever race the ralliart and notice the understeer?

On my autocross forum they referred me to this link:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

think its of any use? or 50 good stuff/ 50 outdated and bogus?

Last edited by crak; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

I think you mean understeer, oversteer is the *** end swinging out
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
I think you mean understeer, oversteer is the *** end swinging out
yes.. lol. let me go back and edit that post.

edit: top post fixed!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

So, to answer your question:
Stock tires and stock suspension, hell yeah that big nose just plows through turns (not enough rotating)

Quick Reply: Fortune Auto 500 coilover unboxing