Notices

09 Ralliart - Intermittent Wheel Vibration

Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Ralliart - Intermittent Wheel Vibration

Hey guys

Having a odd issue where my steering wheel is vibrating intermittently. When I say intermittently, I don't mean 1 day the issue is there and 1 day its back. I mean the vibration happens for about ~5 seconds.. stops for ~5 seconds... and then the vibration comes back for ~5 seconds continuously at highway speeds. It happens during highway speeds (100 kmph - 120+ kmph). 2 min video has been posted. Watch my fingers to seethe vibration.

What I have done:
  • Balanced the wheels (front left was 2 ounces off) - but this was a constant vibration - now its intermittent
  • Took off the wheel and confirmed no play left to right
  • Confirmed no play up and down
  • Confirmed tires have even wear
  • Replaced front Rotors with StopTech slotted rotors (needed brake service anyways - rotors where warped)

Now people have told me that it might be CV joints or a bent axel.. but if this was the case shouldn't the vibration be constant?

Anyone got any inputs?

Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

That is the exact speed where I have encountered occasional vibration (110-120kph) on both previous and current Ralliart.

Given what you have checked already, did you have a roadforce tire balance? If not, try to get one as the results tend to be better. Flatspotted or slightly out of round tires can also contribute to this issue. As well, be sure the wheels are properly centered on the hub and torqued evenly.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 08:06 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem, around 100-120kph as well.

My tires had 40k miles on em (still had ~30% life) but I suspected it was the tires since the vibration got worse when I rotated them front to back.

Took em to my local wheel guy and he was nice enough to check them before mounting the new wheels. Turns out they probably slipped around the rim during hard braking or cornering.

Had the new tires road forced matched and then balanced. Now they're butter smooth. The only thing I feel are the bumps on the road and the occasional very slight vibration (one of my wheels was a bit off and the tire balanced to like 22 lbs road force).
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^yeah but - each of these points to 'constant' vibration isssues (usually centered around a certain speed)...

this baffles me.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

have to agree with road force balancing. if the balance it out only slightly it could induce a harmonic type "shimmy" or vibration (cyclic vibration where it fades in and out over time).

Another theory is tire inflation, if one tire is inflated lower than the other then you could potentially have 2 different rotation rates causing the balance of the two sides to phase in and out with each other.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:05 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Veronica
^yeah but - each of these points to 'constant' vibration isssues (usually centered around a certain speed)...

this baffles me.
Something's inducing a harmonic in the suspension or steering. Usually when that happens it's because something's pumping energy into it within a certain period. That periodic cycle would be coming from either a weight or out of round imbalance.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

^true, but I see it as greater than 1/rev (or even .5/rev) of the wheel so even a sympathetic harmonization would have a shorter periodicity...

I am trying to express:
thumpthumpthumpthumpthump
versus
thuuump.....thuuump...thuuump.....thuuump...thuuum p.....thuuump...

Or i am wrong (uh-gain) which happens at a 1/thought as i age...
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:46 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Veronica
^true, but I see it as greater than 1/rev (or even .5/rev) of the wheel so even a sympathetic harmonization would have a shorter periodicity...

I am trying to express:
thumpthumpthumpthumpthump
versus
thuuump.....thuuump...thuuump.....thuuump...thuuum p.....thuuump...

Or i am wrong (uh-gain) which happens at a 1/thought as i age...
I don't claim to know how the harmonics add up, but it might not always be completely linear. Because it's the cycle of the wheel/tire, which feeds into the bushings, which feed into the shocks, which feed into the steering's valving, pump, and feedback system.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:46 PM
xi
Evolved Member

It's been like over a month, has the OP done a road force balance yet?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check if you've torqued down the wheels equally. I've had this issue before and that's fixed it for me.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 09:03 AM

I have the exact same thing. Tires were replaced about a year ago and were RoadForce balanced. I am really crazy about my tire pressure, wheel nut torque and constantly checking my tires for wear etc. because I drive so much (100 mile daily commute). Wife was pissed because we paid for RF balancing and it still vibrates but like yours it's not constant. I'm at a loss and have no idea what is causing it so I just deal with it.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedWhiteRA
I have the exact same thing. Tires were replaced about a year ago and were RoadForce balanced. I am really crazy about my tire pressure, wheel nut torque and constantly checking my tires for wear etc. because I drive so much (100 mile daily commute). Wife was pissed because we paid for RF balancing and it still vibrates but like yours it's not constant. I'm at a loss and have no idea what is causing it so I just deal with it.
Are you on stock wheels or aftermarket? Check to see if the rotor had warped. Also have you had an alignment done at all? It's possible that some of your angles are off causing the wheels to not rotate at the same rate.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Steven_Trujillo
Are you on stock wheels or aftermarket? Check to see if the rotor had warped. Also have you had an alignment done at all? It's possible that some of your angles are off causing the wheels to not rotate at the same rate.
Stock wheels. No I haven't had alignment done in a while. I was waiting until after winter cause the plows cause some pretty good potholes around here. Rotors seem to be fine, no vibration when I'm on the brakes but I guess I should check those too. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Huh! I am baffled.
Old May 23, 2016, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having this issue now on my 2010 ralliart sportback. did you ever find the problem or a way to stop the on and off wobble?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 Ralliart - Intermittent Wheel Vibration