Notices

Upgrading Brake Rotors/Pads - Stock Calipers

Old Mar 2, 2018, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading Brake Rotors/Pads - Stock Calipers

Hello everyone, I've been doing some research here, looking to upgrade my rotors and pads. I've looked at various types of rotors, but still one question remains... What is the maximum size (mm) rotor I can use with the stock RA (Outlander) 2 POT front calipers. I know the stock size is 11.6 inch (294 mm) and rear 11.9 inch (302 mm) but how much more wiggle room do I have for that? I think that 13 inch rotors would look much better with 18" rims, but will the front/rear calipers support that size upgrade without being changed. Also if you could post brands of your favorite rotor/pads I'd be more than happy to do some more research to narrow down the best! Also slotted vs cross drilled. I've had both before but wondering if one over the other would end up being better in the long run.

I looked through the forums a bit already, sorry if I missed a similar post, but most of the ones I saw included caliper upgrades which I'm not wanting to do quite yet.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 05:53 AM

Im not sure about size but I have been told that slotted is the best rotor in terms of performance. Drilled are mostly for show. But I could be wrong as Im just going by word of mouth. I also want to upgrade my rotors and pads so this thread will help answer my questions as well.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You can't just slap on bigger rotors and hope to use the stock brake caliper. What you're thinking of is a Big Brake Kit with a bigger rotor and caliper. Just get a good quality rotor and pad for brake performance until you decide to go the BBK route. Im a fan of R1Concept rotors. Just ordered a set of rotors and pads from them. I prefer slotted. Stay away from drilled rotors as those tend to show stress cracks. Only get drilled if they're cast that way like Brembo or Wilwood or something. The cheaper alternatives just drill holes in blank rotors and that tends to weaken them.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 04:24 AM

You cant uograde the size of your stock rotors without a caliper change. If you arent changing the brake effective area (pad size) you want the smallest possible disc to give that to you to keep weight down.

as stated already avoid cheap cross drilled. From reading the internets it seems dimpled and slotted are fine though a little harsher on pads, which lets face it, is the only way you will see an upgrade in performance if using the same pads