Notices

Coilovers & Swaybars info. needed.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilovers & Swaybars info. needed.

Hey, instead of making two different threads I'd make one. I'm looking for some advice on CO and Sway bars.
I've read what I've could on both, but I just want to get a more clearer picture on both.
On CO, some ppl prefer those over Lower Springs for various of reasons. I'm looking for long term reliability, so would it be safe to say CO are more reliable a setup than LS are? I just hear LS put a lot of pressure on the shocks and struts. Financially, LS are cheaper to do, but I'd pay more for a peace of mind reliability(long term). If CO, then what brands are good(I'm looking just for better ride/lowering and I do some windy road driving). Hints on what to look for and what other stuff I would need?
Sway bars also help in the car's handling and even though our RA are decent I thought about getting some. Would I really need to get both front and rear or would that be overkill? How does the car handle if both or just one is installed(plus CO if I go that route)?
Like I said I don't race or autocross my car, but I do enjoy going on some windy roads for some fun. Thanks for any feedback.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In general CO's will give you more flexibility in terms of setup and can be dialed in for the specific car/driver. This will allow you to tweak how they're setup so that you can get everything to you're liking.

Springs... Not so much. That being said, changing the springs can have a dramatic impact on how the car handles and feels, but again, once installed, that's it.

As for sways, in theory they are primarily used for minor adjustments and tweaks to you're existing suspension package, not as an overall solution. I'd worry about these after.

What should you do? The question is more about what your budget is really.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coilovers:

If your not Auto crossing look into Fortune auto 500's. The default 8k front \7k Rear spring rates they recommend is good for daily driver and Still comfortable. If you need a stiffer spring you can always go up 2k in spring rates without needed them re valved.

Just make sure you order them with from Radial bearings (lets spring move without binding/making noises which is an issue with other brands on due to the lancer macpherson setup.) I would also get the rear extenders so you can adjust the dampaning in the rear without taking the coilover off everytime. (lets you run the extenders up into the shock tower up into the trunk.)

If you buy them from a vendors on this forum usually you can have them throw in the bearings and shipping for free. mine were around 1199 USD shipped.

Swaybar:

Get the rear whiteline 24mm (it's 3 way adjustable) Part #: BMR85XZ
Old Jun 18, 2015, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are looking into coilovers and a rear sway bar i recommend rear sway bar end links as well i blew out mine after about 4 months being lowered.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RalliRalli
If you are looking into coilovers and a rear sway bar i recommend rear sway bar end links as well i blew out mine after about 4 months being lowered.
Is it preferable to get front sway bars as well or is it overkill to get front and back? I know our cars handle pretty good anyways, just don't want to go overkill.