EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Ralliart Brakes/Wheels/Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-brakes-wheels-suspension-310/)
-   -   Improved Tires- real-world performance difference? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-brakes-wheels-suspension/487556-improved-tires-real-world-performance-difference.html)

Fizz04 Apr 20, 2010 10:42 AM

Improved Tires- real-world performance difference?

Hi all-

The main complain i've read about the Ralliart are the tires. As such, when i go to the dealer to buy my Ralliart, i'm going to insist they upgrade the tires. But how big a difference are we talking?

Consider the following numbers (all from motortrend.com). The first number is the lateral acceleration, the second is the figure-8.

GTS: 0.85g, 27.5s @ 0.61g
Ralliart: 0.81g, 27.3s @ 0.63g
Evo IX GSR: 0.95g, 25.5s @ 0.73g

One would think it should be somewhere between the Evo and the GTS, but the Ralliart's handling seems very similar to the GTS.

How much difference would better tires make? Say you took the Evo's tires (resized accordingly of course), and put them on the Ralliart. How improved would these numbers be?

-Fizz

Ladogaboy Apr 20, 2010 11:21 AM

First, let me say that you are a bit mistaken about the suspension on the Ralliart. It has the same suspension as the GTS, not the EVO IX. It has the same AWD system as the EVO IX, but the suspension is completely different.

Now, you are correct about the tires:

The short version:

Replacing the stock Yokohamas with worn Bridgestones resulted in a +0.02 g skidpad; +3.7 mph in the slalom; and -7 feet in 60-0 mph braking. So yes, tires make a huge difference in real-world performance.

The longer version:

Tires Ruin the Ralliart
Driven on the same roads, the 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart corners with less body roll than Subaru's WRX. Its steering is also better weighted and richer in feedback. And with all those limited-slip differentials helping to adjust its cornering attitude, we expect to get on the throttle earlier and harder.

But we can't, because the Lancer Ralliart wears 215/45R18 Yokohama Advan A10s, which are optimistically classified as summer tires. These Yokohamas push so severely that all you can do is slow way down for tight corners and squeeze back on the gas, anticipating a tail-out exit. It's a terrible waste of Evo IX kit.

At the track, the Ralliart goes through the slalom at 65.6 mph. That's 3 mph slower than the WRX — an eternity in our world. The Mitsu manages only 0.80g on the skid pad.

Braking is the bigger worry on public roads. More than once we find ourselves hurtling down a hill into a tight turn and really hoping the tires will eventually dig in to slow the car down. Through it all, brake pedal feel is solid and reassuring, so our brain is telling us the Lancer should have stopped 10 feet ago.

During testing, the 2009 Lancer Ralliart stops from 60 mph in 127 feet on the first run. All subsequent stops are in the 130s.

We Take a Time Out
We're sure a stickier set of tires is all the 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart needs.

But we don't want to speculate. Conveniently, our friends at Mitsubishi have a set of 215/45R18 93Y Bridgestone Potenza RE050As they're willing to swap onto the Lancer Ralliart. These are the same tires the Mazdaspeed 3 wears. New ones go for $215 apiece on Tire Rack.

So we run our braking and handling tests again. (Take note, Subie fans: These test results do not count toward the final score.) It turns out these RE050As are very worn, so we don't see much improvement on the skid pad with a performance of 0.82g, but the difference in the slalom is huge, as the Ralliart now goes through at 69.3 mph.

Full article:

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/imp...preza-wrx.html

Fizz04 Apr 21, 2010 11:55 AM

Ah yes, i recall reading that, one of the reasons why i'll require a dealer to give me different tires.

Those Potenza's they put on were worn, so hopefully new ones result in even better results. The effect they had the Subie (from 08 to 09) was incredible.

But i take it to get near Evo IX numbers, one would need a real Evo suspension.

-Fizz

SOG RA Apr 23, 2010 08:35 PM

I have the goodyear eagle gt all seasons and I am very happy with them. Everything you would expect from an all season, but very sticky as well.

jsemtz Nov 8, 2017 10:37 PM

What tires would you recommend if im trying to upgrade from the stock tires im running on right which are 215 45 18?