EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Ralliart Brakes/Wheels/Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-brakes-wheels-suspension-310/)
-   -   Clicking Noise When Turning the Wheel (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-brakes-wheels-suspension/529499-clicking-noise-when-turning-wheel.html)

DaJackson Dec 13, 2010 02:28 PM

Clicking Noise When Turning the Wheel

So my car has developed a new noise that doesn't sound good. When turning the wheel either direction I get a grinding/quick popping/creaking sound coming from the firewall area. It happens while sitting still or in motion and is most noticeable when pulling into or out of a parking spot (I think mainly due to the low speeds making it easier to hear).

My first thought is upper strut bearing since the same thing happened on my GTI but that was more of a single pop like something that was wound up popping from tension. Being lowered is the main culprit in the GTIs and as my RA is lowered too it seems to be similar.

Anyone have any ideas?

chazyronnie Dec 13, 2010 02:44 PM

what springs are you using? since when are you lowered? my ra is making a clunk too coz i install swift springs 3 weeks ago and just getting settle i would wait until it is fully settled hope the clunk will be gone after that..

bz963 Dec 13, 2010 03:37 PM

Mine does this too and the suspension creaks when going over bumps. I've heard of this before with a lowered car but my suspension is stock.

DaJackson Dec 13, 2010 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by chazyronnie (Post 8910386)
what springs are you using? since when are you lowered? my ra is making a clunk too coz i install swift springs 3 weeks ago and just getting settle i would wait until it is fully settled hope the clunk will be gone after that..

I'm on Teins for awhile now, 4 months+ (~3-4000 miles)

Ive got an appointment to drop it off at the dealership tomorrow.

BZ - this is not a vertical travel noise like with going over a bump its a rotational noise.

evil03 Dec 13, 2010 05:25 PM

its just the spring plastic silencer is dry... dirt and small rocks are in it.... and the you spring is turning when you turn the wheels... its very common when lowering a car... and your shocks probably finally settled with the lowering springs and not fight against it... i bet if you spray some silicone lube on the top and bottom of the spring it will go away but once it drys there it is again...

im on coilover and my spring pops and creek when i turn and full lock

bz963 Dec 13, 2010 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=BZ - this is not a vertical travel noise like with going over a bump its a rotational noise.[/QUOTE]

I know I meant I have the rotational noise and a noise when going over bumps. The thing that I don't understand is I'm not lowered.

AntiBlitz Dec 14, 2010 02:25 AM

dajackson i have this noise only in motion and sounds like it is from the steering wheel or something near it. I have no idea wtf it is. like a chain n sprocket in a box kinda noise. and it doesnt happen while the car is making moving corners at higher speeds only slow speed where u kinda have to give her a lil more muscle to turn and its not the inertia of the car moving the wheel so much

DaJackson Dec 14, 2010 07:11 AM

Interesting new development on my situation. The noise does not occur if the car has been running for awhile. I took it to a local shop that works on my car last night and tried to reproduce the noise and nothing happened. However, this morning the noise was back. Its been below freezing here the last few nights so it might have something to do with the cold.

Its at the dealership now being looked at, I was able to make the noise while in the service drive but it was not nearly as loud as it was when first starting the car.

chazyronnie Dec 14, 2010 10:36 AM

the new spring is vibrating on slow speed and while turning thus it clunks it is normal, the springs is just being settled wait until couple of months until the springs is fully settled

DaJackson Dec 14, 2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by chazyronnie (Post 8912635)
the new spring is vibrating on slow speed and while turning thus it clunks it is normal, the springs is just being settled wait until couple of months until the springs is fully settled

Ive had the springs on for 4 months, I think they are settled.

Just picked the car up from the dealer, they didn't get to it till close to 5 and were not able to reproduce the issue. Makes me think its a cold weather thing since it was 60 here today. Ill be taking it by first thing in the morning one day this week or dropping it off overnight so they can let it sit in the cold and hear it in the morning.

RalliSGT Dec 28, 2010 10:31 AM

Im having the same issue with my car. Been going on for a week now. I live in florida and dont think its cold related since it will happen after a 15min drive to work. My noise always happens on sharp turns, and it seems to be worse when i turn left. I have Eibach Sportline springs, that have been on now for 6 months.

Its currently at a shop to be put on a lift and we'll see what happens.

AntiBlitz Dec 28, 2010 11:04 AM

ya i kinda gave up on this issue and was just goin to live with it as everyone seems to just blurt out some silly answer like "oh its ur springs they aint settled" or telling me its a clunk noise........nah hoss it aint a flippin clunk noise, trust me its clicking, i listen to it every flippin day of my life as i drive to work at 5 in the mornin. For sure it clicks. And it does it in rapid succession as i turn th.........aint even goin to bother explaining it i have already done that several times to many. Just wondering if anybody has any more word on this shenanigans at all and if so how to absolve the issue

Alterna Dec 28, 2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by evil03 (Post 8910833)
its just the spring plastic silencer is dry... dirt and small rocks are in it.... and the you spring is turning when you turn the wheels... its very common when lowering a car... and your shocks probably finally settled with the lowering springs and not fight against it... i bet if you spray some silicone lube on the top and bottom of the spring it will go away but once it drys there it is again...
im on coilover and my spring pops and creek when i turn and full lock

Mr. Evil is correct. Your aftermarket springs are not as compliant as stock and will twist in the cups, especially when cool. Return to stock springs, grease, different cup bushings, or :lol: JOKE>>>removing the bushings and tack welding the springs to the cup may resolve this issue:lol: <<<JOKE.

chazyronnie Dec 29, 2010 02:05 AM

The clunk noise on my Ra is gone now, its fully settled now and no more annoying clunk even in cold weather no noise at all, in slow speed and while fully turning..the swift spring is the sh!t handles like a rockstar and gives comfortable ride and no clunk, pop, or creek...The science of winning

gotmangoo Jan 13, 2011 08:14 AM

i have the same problem and im dropped on h&r springs and stock wheels, tires. I hate this so much. everytime I turn it makes clicking noise from my right front fender. only below 10mph and when i turn full left. loud as **** and makes everyone turn their heads toward my car. i always thought this was because i took out my undertray and it led the front right fender to touch my tires. could this be the issue? btw its really cold nowadays