Notices

Boost gauge question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost gauge question

Did some quick searching, couldn't find an answer to this. To the people running a boost gauge, which vacuum/boost line have you been tapping into? My first thought would be to tap into the line connecting the bypass valve to the intake mani (just put a T in the line). My second option would be to tap into the line for the FPR boost reference, which would let me know instantly if it happened to to come off under boost. My third option was to T into both lines, run a hose between these two Ts, with a T in the middle which runs to my boost gauge. This would let me know if either line came off.

What do u guys think?

Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

There are answers on this somewhere. It might be buried in a thread though. So to answer your question: option 1
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

DO NOT do #3, either do 1 or 2.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm running option 2 (fpr hose) with an AEM analog boost gauge
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
I'm running option 2 (fpr hose) with an AEM analog boost gauge
+1. Pretty sure I did the same thing. All I know is it matches my AEM gauge matches my datalogs.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Using the line to the BOV and not to the fuel pressure regulator is always the best policy.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Option 1 is what I was leaning to. Mad_SB, could you shed some light on why not to use #3? I figured since both lines draw pressure from the intake mani, they should see the same pressure.

Last edited by SudzRA; Jun 16, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think the issue with #2 is that, in the event of a fault with the new boost hose connection, the fuel pressure regulator won't see its proper boost reference.

Which is a really Bad Thing at WOT.

Nobody wants to sacrifice their engine for the sake of a gauge that is ostensibly there for safety reasons!

Rich
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Agreed, however I have seen cars running #1 setup with bpv opening/fluttering and compressor surge issues. My guess is that there were other factors involved that I don't know about, as well, I just know that it's happened.

As far as running at the FPR, with my AEM gauge at least, there is only a very short (4", if that) hose needed at the T and then it connects right onto the electrical sender portion. That way there are only wires, not hose, running the length of the engine bay, minimizing the possibility of pinching/cutting/burning/etc. the vacuum source hose.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

u can do more options but the # 3 is a no no.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Take back what I said earlier. I did option #1.

Last edited by omegis; Jun 16, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
I think the issue with #2 is that, in the event of a fault with the new boost hose connection, the fuel pressure regulator won't see its proper boost reference.

Which is a really Bad Thing at WOT.

Nobody wants to sacrifice their engine for the sake of a gauge that is ostensibly there for safety reasons!

Rich
i dont see any problem running the gauge from the FPR, thats how mitsu run it on the rs and mr cars.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by javicracer
i dont see any problem running the gauge from the FPR, thats how mitsu run it on the rs and mr cars.
Noted!

Rich
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SudzRA
Option 1 is what I was leaning to. Mad_SB, could you shed some light on why not to use #3? I figured since both lines draw pressure from the intake mani, they should see the same pressure.
Because you introduce yet another way for the FPR reference to fail. I have seen at least 3 or 4 "boost gauge leaks" in the past. When you have a leak in the line that feeds the FPR you go lean under boost and rich off boost.

While it is true that #2 will also let you know of the FPR line pops off.. a wideband will also do that without introducing an additional point of failure (the line from the T to the boost sensor, be it mechanical or electronic). #3 is the worst of both worlds in that you now have 3 potential failure points and any of which will result in lean in boost condition.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z

As far as running at the FPR, with my AEM gauge at least, there is only a very short (4", if that) hose needed at the T and then it connects right onto the electrical sender portion. That way there are only wires, not hose, running the length of the engine bay, minimizing the possibility of pinching/cutting/burning/etc. the vacuum source hose.
Thats probably about the ideal setup... no long run of vacume line to fail and you will know if an issue does develop with the lines.

Quick Reply: Boost gauge question