Notices

dom 2.0 ralliart dyno results inside

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^thanks for the info! that is a great looking torque curve!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

I think its just the 91 octane and the 94 degree temperature hence a conservative tune with little timing...Or maybe the turbo is worn out...Was the turbo fresh? or used from the previous owner? I would think 26psi would give you lots of HP.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
barely used turbo...2k miles. Turbo is great I'm in the process of getting a tactrx cable...it could be just the temp and 91oct...though I have no idea
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
I think its just the 91 octane and the 94 degree temperature hence a conservative tune with little timing...Or maybe the turbo is worn out...Was the turbo fresh? or used from the previous owner? I would think 26psi would give you lots of HP.
Low boost pressure, i would imagine, is the main reason for the low numbers. I'm sure the temps played a factor as well. These days everyone seems to tune for 25 - 26psi on pump gas. That turbo should easily still be in it's efficiency range at those boost levels. The boost curve needs a bit of work, but I think the tuner kept the boost low in the lower revs intentionally to avoid issues with the sst..... We forget that only a few tuners have access to the SST tables that need to be adjusted when running big boost on a quickish spooling turbo.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hixlancer
barely used turbo...2k miles. Turbo is great I'm in the process of getting a tactrx cable...it could be just the temp and 91oct...though I have no idea
Honestly, I think you should PM Razorlab and see if he will do a remote tune for you... the more I look at your plot.... the worse the tune looks to me. Boost should not be all over the place like that with a 3 port (unless it was installed wrong, or the tuner has no idea how to tune ecu boost control). I'm willing to bet there is a solid 30 or 40 whp left with a good tune... not to mention it will feel a lot smoother.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Well I hooked it up correctly...I'm not sure why is so whacked out I'm in contact with bryan....and trying to get access to a tactrx cable...hopefully he can work some magic
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hixlancer
Well I hooked it up correctly...I'm not sure why is so whacked out I'm in contact with bryan....and trying to get access to a tactrx cable...hopefully he can work some magic
you should get some before and after virtual dyno logs so you can see the difference... I'm sure it will be night and day
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Yepp trying to get my hands on one. I think bryan is pretty busy too...so well see!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Glad you're liking it so far! Hopefully you can get closer to 350.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yepp its a great turbo. Hopefully bryan can do a few tricks for me...really wanted more out of it abd got the things to support more
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure if you ever make around Garden City, but you could always borrow my tactrix cable if you do come around this way.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with the boost plot looking a bit strange... there's the normal increase until 5500, then the normal fall-off, then another peak at 57-5800, and then another fall-off, with a third peak at 6800. From other plots I've seen, the dip between the 5800-6800 just shouldn't be there. At 6500, you've got less than 22psi, and you should be over 24. The 2-3 psi drop here is reflected on your torque curve, a sharp drop and then a gradual drop until about 6800 where it holds for a bit. The plot is ragged here as well. Fix this area of the map and you'll see gains of 30whp at least in this area.

The major thing to think about is that this region of the map is where your car will spend most of it's time when you're at WOT. If you're drag racing (or doing any racing, really) fixing this zone will make a HUGE difference in your results.

Also, is it just me, or do your AFRs look strangely lean? I see you're holding a solid 12 from 4500-5800, then a high 11 until 6400, after which lean spool kicks off and you go rich.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Also, is it just me, or do your AFRs look strangely lean? I see you're holding a solid 12 from 4500-5800, then a high 11 until 6400, after which lean spool kicks off and you go rich.
Maybe, depends on what they use for A/F measurements. Many dyno shops simply install a WB up the muffler and tune for 12 as a nice safe zone (if you were to trace those same gases back, they are typically ~1.0 richer). What makes me believe this is the case is "Stoich" is ~13.7 on the graph. In fact taking a closer look at this area, it looks like the tuner was keeping things VERY safe. Common practice is to make spool-up extra rich (flame front) then lean out a bit so as to not choke down the engine, then from 6K on add back fuel again as this is the "danger zone" if running too lean.
Seems to me like he's being nice to the tranny in regards to torque
Back on topic though, the boost curve needs some work from ~5K on. See how that measurement point is showing ~23 psi, and the torque peaks ~200 rpm after that. From my understanding the boost s/b basically flat line the rest of the way....

Last edited by sstevojr; Aug 29, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
Maybe, depends on what they use for A/F measurements. Many dyno shops simply install a WB up the muffler and tune for 12 as a nice safe zone (if you were to trace those same gases back, they are typically ~1.0 richer).
Not always true. Depends on what you use for the tail pipe.

I've found the innovate clamp works amazingly well to get "accurate" AFR readings at the tail pipe.

With a TP, the innovate clamp at the tailpipe matched a wideband at the downpipe exactly at WOT.

With a HFC, the innovate was only .2 off at WOT

Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, interesting. So how does it generate the same value at the tailpipe as is being recorded from the downpipe; is there some sort of "correction-formula" attached to the displayed value?

Quick Reply: dom 2.0 ralliart dyno results inside