Notices

4WD Service Required???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by omegis
That's dated September 2009 so it wouldn't show 2010's
If you click on it you'll see that it DOES include SOME 2010 models....
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got this software update for this problem. Then I did an ECU flash using GST's basemap.

Would that erase the software update on my car?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spekil
I got this software update for this problem. Then I did an ECU flash using GST's basemap.

Would that erase the software update on my car?
No
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by omegis
No

Sweet! I guess I don't have to worry much!

Thanks man!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by import_racing
Kool please keep me posted!
I know this really late, But I figured out the problem in my situation. My pump was fine, what triggered the light was a sensor that wasnt plugged in when i took off my front end. Its located near the front top of the intercooler area somewhere. For anyone having this issue make sure you check that first. I plugged it in and my light went away.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Any idea what the sensor is for?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:51 PM

I know the manual says the light can go off if it is cold because it effects the viscosity. Can we assume the opposite can happen for heat? My light seams to go off only on the way home when the tempature is higher. No problems in the mornings. Also doesn't go off until about 20 minutes in. (all highway)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bryan9915
I know the manual says the light can go off if it is cold because it effects the viscosity. Can we assume the opposite can happen for heat? My light seams to go off only on the way home when the tempature is higher. No problems in the mornings. Also doesn't go off until about 20 minutes in. (all highway)
Anyone else experience the SERVICE REQUIRED message when the ambient temp outside was really hot?
Today it was about 40C (or 104F) and my car was parked outside at work all day. When I fired up the car at 5pm (still hot outside!), the SERVICE REQUIRED message immediately went on. After driving it for 40mins on the highway (gentle speeds) I parked the car about 20mins (let it idle for a few minutes to cool the turbo) in the shade. When I fired up the car again, the light went on after a few blocks. I parked it at home for the next 5 hours and the ambient temp dropped to 23C (73F). Fired up the car and drove it for 15mins with no SERVICE REQUIRED message coming on! This is only the second time the message has come on. First time was last week when the ambient temperature was just as hot, if not a few degrees hotter.
My RA is a '09 with relatively low mileage, about 67000km, driven gently. No change in vehicle behaviour when the service message is on.

Anyone know if the AWD ECU reflash includes hot temp issues also or is experiencing similar issus when its really hot?

Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTE28
Anyone else experience the SERVICE REQUIRED message when the ambient temp outside was really hot?
Today it was about 40C (or 104F) and my car was parked outside at work all day. When I fired up the car at 5pm (still hot outside!), the SERVICE REQUIRED message immediately went on. After driving it for 40mins on the highway (gentle speeds) I parked the car about 20mins (let it idle for a few minutes to cool the turbo) in the shade. When I fired up the car again, the light went on after a few blocks. I parked it at home for the next 5 hours and the ambient temp dropped to 23C (73F). Fired up the car and drove it for 15mins with no SERVICE REQUIRED message coming on! This is only the second time the message has come on. First time was last week when the ambient temperature was just as hot, if not a few degrees hotter.
My RA is a '09 with relatively low mileage, about 67000km, driven gently. No change in vehicle behaviour when the service message is on.

Anyone know if the AWD ECU reflash includes hot temp issues also or is experiencing similar issus when its really hot?

Thanks.
That's so weird, I actually never got mine fixed, I can't find a legit dealer that's actually knows what's the problem is.
Ever since the winter is over, my 4WD service light never went off again. I don't know what the problem is. =O
I guess my light only goes off in the winter? I don't know why is your 4WD service light going on in the hot weather.
Maybe someone here who has experience with this issue can help us out.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

I live in the Toronto area as well, but fortunately I had yesterday off

However, I have been flashed for TSB SC-09-002 and have driven the car up to about 36C without issue.

The wording at the beginning of TSB SC-09-002 reads as follows:

PURPOSE

This reprogramming procedure will modify the All-Wheel-Control (AWC) ECU software to accurately match the operations check of the AYC/ACD motor with current ambient conditions. Extremely cold weather causes increased excessive load on the motor, which could result in damage to the motor. This bulletin describes procedures to reprogram the AWC ECU with new software parameters to prevent this condition.

Given the first sentence, the impression given is this TSB addresses all temperature ranges, not just cold conditions.

Last edited by TrailBrake; Jul 24, 2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrailBrake
I live in the Toronto area as well, but fortunately I had yesterday off

However, I have been flashed for TSB SC-09-002 and have driven the car up to about 36C without issue.

The wording at the beginning of TSB SC-09-002 reads as follows:

PURPOSE

This reprogramming procedure will modify the All-Wheel-Control (AWC) ECU software to accurately match the operations check of the AYC/ACD motor with current ambient conditions. Extremely cold weather causes increased excessive load on the motor, which could result in damage to the motor. This bulletin describes procedures to reprogram the AWC ECU with new software parameters to prevent this condition.

Given the first sentence, the impression given is this TSB addresses all temperature ranges, not just cold conditions.
Drove 40mins to work on the highway and no message. Temp today is a lot cooler. I think I will bring it in to the stealership this weekend:-(
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

My RA hasn't been flashed for the ACD ECU.
Wondering if anyone has received bad codes because of the Service message?

Trailbrake, where do you service your X?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTE28
My RA hasn't been flashed for the ACD ECU.
Wondering if anyone has received bad codes because of the Service message?

Trailbrake, where do you service your X?

It's actually a RA

I had the flash done at Scarborough Mitsu about a year ago, but that's back before they merged with Pickering and service became inconsistent. The old service manager back then was quite good to deal with.

Scarborough still should be able to take care of something simple like this for you, but I would recommend giving them a call first and mention the TSB and see what they say. I mention this because at the time I had called 3 other Toronto-area dealers before Scarborough agreed to do it for me and didn't jerk me around. The other dealers acted like I was crazy for asking.

The good news is flash was free, as I was still within the 3 year bumper-to-bumper coverage period. If you are inside that 3 year coverage, the flash should be free for you as well. If not, I believe the charge is for 1hr labour (though I doubt it takes even 1/4 that time).

If Scarborough gives you the run-around, send me a PM and I can give you some alternate dealer contact info.

Last edited by TrailBrake; Jul 24, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got the reflash done too and my tarmac/gravel/snow indication would flash once in a while while im driving and when it flashes it wouldnt allow me to switch mode....are you experiencing this too after ther reflash?

and besides the possible cause of the AWC service required light that Skyline559 suggested (loose sensor), it could also be the relay in the fuse box...that's what happened to me, dealer ran some tests on the pump and it was fine and replaced the relay which is a $12 part.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrailBrake
It's actually a RA

I had the flash done at Scarborough Mitsu about a year ago, but that's back before they merged with Pickering and service became inconsistent. The old service manager back then was quite good to deal with.

Scarborough still should be able to take care of something simple like this for you, but I would recommend giving them a call first and mention the TSB and see what they say. I mention this because at the time I had called 3 other Toronto-area dealers before Scarborough agreed to do it for me and didn't jerk me around. The other dealers acted like I was crazy for asking.

The good news is flash was free, as I was still within the 3 year bumper-to-bumper coverage period. If you are inside that 3 year coverage, the flash should be free for you as well. If not, I believe the charge is for 1hr labour (though I doubt it takes even 1/4 that time).

If Scarborough gives you the run-around, send me a PM and I can give you some alternate dealer contact info.
I'm heading to Scar. They said the flash is still covered even though I'm past the 3yr warranty.
Extras would be if something needed replacing.
Pray for me :-)

Quick Reply: 4WD Service Required???