Notices

2010 ralliart how much boost can I run

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ralliart how much boost can I run

I have a 2010 ralliart and I'm installing a new one in two weeks how much boost can I run on my ralliart turbo ?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 07:32 PM

I have heard of people running 28
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
"It all depends", is the answer.

Not sure what you're installing a new one of... new turbo? New tune?

If you try to hold "stock Evo X" levels of boost with a stock RA turbo, it'll blow a lot of hot air in the top part of the rev range.

The stock RA intercooler is junk... so you'll heatsoak in no time.

An Evo X intercooler is better, but even that will fail to cope after a relatively moderate amount of constant WOT driving.

Here's a specific example. I have stock RA turbo, Evo X FMIC. I ran a track session hitting 22.2psi boost, holding that until around 5000rpm, tapering through 20psi at 6000rpm, and then touching barely 13-14psi at 7000rpm.

Ambient temp, around 32 degrees Celsius.

First lap, she ran like a champ. In the logs, manifold air temp bumped up a bit when throttled off, but opening her up out of corners saw MAT go down again. All was good.

On the second lap, she started knocking like a *****. MAT was no longer reducing when I went WOT out of corners and down the straight. At the point the logs showed MAT starting to increase at full throttle, the knocking incidents began.

The tiny little turbo was being run way outside its comfort zone. After a while, the intercooler gets heatsoaked.

So... it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

The occasional WOT squirt on the road will usually cope with higher boost more than, say, running all the way to the top of 6th on a big, long, speed-limit-free road. Multiple laps on track, and/or hot days will warrant lower boost.

Hope this helps!

Rich
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Once again, Rich proves why he is The Man.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:56 AM

I run 23PSI on stock turbo and stock intercooler, i'm planing get a X intercooler but i heard that i need a tune for new intercooler. Wasn't sure is this correct, can i just get a intercooler and get a tune a month later?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by richardjh
"It all depends", is the answer.

Not sure what you're installing a new one of... new turbo? New tune?

If you try to hold "stock Evo X" levels of boost with a stock RA turbo, it'll blow a lot of hot air in the top part of the rev range.

The stock RA intercooler is junk... so you'll heatsoak in no time.

An Evo X intercooler is better, but even that will fail to cope after a relatively moderate amount of constant WOT driving.

Here's a specific example. I have stock RA turbo, Evo X FMIC. I ran a track session hitting 22.2psi boost, holding that until around 5000rpm, tapering through 20psi at 6000rpm, and then touching barely 13-14psi at 7000rpm.

Ambient temp, around 32 degrees Celsius.

First lap, she ran like a champ. In the logs, manifold air temp bumped up a bit when throttled off, but opening her up out of corners saw MAT go down again. All was good.

On the second lap, she started knocking like a *****. MAT was no longer reducing when I went WOT out of corners and down the straight. At the point the logs showed MAT starting to increase at full throttle, the knocking incidents began.

The tiny little turbo was being run way outside its comfort zone. After a while, the intercooler gets heatsoaked.

So... it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

The occasional WOT squirt on the road will usually cope with higher boost more than, say, running all the way to the top of 6th on a big, long, speed-limit-free road. Multiple laps on track, and/or hot days will warrant lower boost.

Hope this helps!

Rich

I run 23PSI on stock turbo and stock intercooler, i'm planing get a X intercooler but i heard that i need a tune for new intercooler. Wasn't sure is this correct, can i just get a intercooler and get a tune a month later?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Correct. You do not need a tune for an IC swap.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 04:51 PM

I run 28.5 psi and made 285whp/310wtq on a low reading mustang dyno/E85 Ethanol. and its been holding fine... Turbo blew a while after that though Was already looking into turbo swap and it was the perfect time to max the RA turbo. you should be fine around 25-27psi. The problem is, the torque hits early and the boost tends to taper near 5000rpm.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Personally, I wouldn't touch that peak on my RA with a ten foot barge pole.

Rich
Old Mar 11, 2014, 04:23 AM

@richardhj why not? we datalogged the car wot pull to wot pull and did not see any heat soak with the intercooler system, keep in mind that I have an ETS 4'' intercooler. The car performed well pull to pull, I can see where the turbo tapered off near 5500 rpm, but it wasn't meant to be long lasting. I knew that I would be upgrading trans/turbo after a few months... So why wouldn't you run that much boost on RA turbo? I know it probably isn't the best thing to do... but b/c it was temporary it wasnt too bad.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alloutaudio
I have a 2010 ralliart and I'm installing a new one in two weeks how much boost can I run on my ralliart turbo ?

The amount of boost you can run is determined by many factors.

1. Supporting mods

2. Turbo size

3. Stock engine components or upgraded

Myself and most of my RA friends run around 28 to 29 max psi. We could run more but to help the turbo last we keep it lower. I myself run 18.5 min and 29.5 max
You want to use as little amount of boost as needed to create the desired effect. You want it like this because it maximizes efficiency and keeps temps down. I do not know what mods you have but I would keep the boost low unless you upgrade the intercooler.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:08 PM

+1 ^^ @DAN123AC I was running much lower boost until i upgraded the cooling system, helped reduce air temps greatly
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally, rather than chasing a specific hp number or psi number, i'd rather keep her more reliable in the long-term and enjoy what my butt-dyno tells me. peak 26lbs is fair if i had to answer your question
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:22 AM

everyone is an idiot

Bump already on a bigger turbo I was told by 3 different tuners the ralliart can't handle more then 17 pounds anything more then that is not a hp gain just stuffing your engine with hot air till your car hits 4500 rpm and boost drops back down to 17!!!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jhurley_RA
@richardhj why not?So why wouldn't you run that much boost on RA turbo? I know it probably isn't the best thing to do... but b/c it was temporary it wasnt too bad.
Mate, you've got to make up your mind there, lol.

Because when that little voice inside my head says "it probably isn't the best thing to do", I actually listen to it.

Glad it's working for you!

My car only has an Evo X stock intercooler. While it's an incremental improvement on the useless stock RA thing, it certainly isn't bullet-proof when faced with hot days, continuous WOT, etc.

Different vehicle setup, usage, environment... so different approach needed.

Rich

Quick Reply: 2010 ralliart how much boost can I run