Notices

On the right track?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the right track?

I posted this on another evo forum, but figured I might get some other opinions. I have been looking to make some modifications to my 2011 Lancer Ralliart and have hit a wall in my searches. I am very new to the car modification scene, but I am eager to learn and do as much work myself that I can. Right now the car is completely stock, but I am thinking I want to invest some time to make it my own. Right now I am looking to upgrade the brakes, suspension, and tires (before horsepower upgrades). This car is my daily driver (though I don't drive it much, more of a weekender at this point). I don't plan to track the car, but I would really like to improve handling and if possible improve ride comfort since I live in the Chicago area so there are pretty bad pot holes (maybe not Michigan sized ones) and snow.

For Suspension: I am thinking I would like to get either the KW V2 or Fortune Auto 500s coilovers. Both seem to get very good reviews, while the Fortune Auto have a slight lead, because it sounds like they have extremely good customer service and it is easier to get them serviced if required. I can't seem to find a consensus on if one is superior to the other. Again since I am new I would like to get something that I can tune to my liking and not have to worry about in the future.

For Tires: I have been using Continental ExtremeContact DWS on the stock rims for 40k miles since I was living in a warmer climate when I bought them. I would like to move to a summer set and a winter set of tires. I am planning on getting Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for the summer and then Michelin X-Ice Xi3s for the winter months. I am not sure what setup I should go with
Option 1: 18" Enkei RPF1 with summer tires and OEM with winter tires.
Option 2: OEM with summers tires and 17" with winter tires.
My concern is I have to deal with pot holes, so I am not sure if the Enkeis will be able to handle them.

Eventually I would like to upgrade the intercooler, intercooler piping, the exhaust (probably stick with a high-flow cat to stay within the Illinois regulations) and possibly an upgrade to the turbo down the line.

I am planning on installing Centric blank rotors, Centric Posi Quiet brake pads, and AMS Stainless steel brake lines within the next week since I need to replace them. I recently installed K&N drop in air-filter and an Evo X BOV. Not much, but it is a small start.

I realize that this may be a large post, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Am I on the right path or have I gone down a completely wrong one? Thank you for your help and time.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Suspension: Don't neglect the rear sway bar. My rear sway bar and end-links were probably the best handling upgrade I made to my care. That is including coilovers.
Tires: This is going to be subject to preference. I really liked my Pirelli sottozero snow tires.

Your on the right track with the Evo X Bov, get an Evo X Inter-cooler, UICP, LICP and you'll be all set.

If you are in the market for an exhaust now I have a Borla cat back with an extra resonator. My post keeps getting taken down in the for sale section as sold(probably because they've been up so long) but I still have everything in it.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 08:49 AM

Dwilson357, thanks for the response. I forgot to mention the rear sway bar and should have mentioned that. I was thinking I would do that around the same time I did the exhaust upgrade. How long have you had the sway bar and how does it seem to be holding up. I have read mixed reviews on the whiteline ones, but they are the only ones I see online. How loud is the Borla compared to stock? I really do not want to make it any louder than stock, as well as I don't give the police any reason to pull me over.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kj1060
Dwilson357, thanks for the response. I forgot to mention the rear sway bar and should have mentioned that. I was thinking I would do that around the same time I did the exhaust upgrade. How long have you had the sway bar and how does it seem to be holding up. I have read mixed reviews on the whiteline ones, but they are the only ones I see online. How loud is the Borla compared to stock? I really do not want to make it any louder than stock, as well as I don't give the police any reason to pull me over.

I'm not sure how a swaybar can't hold up. I was less than impressed with the endlinks though. One side stripped out(whiteline). I would go with a different brand for those.

The Borla is louder than stock. If you run a HFC with it, it is ridiculously loud. I neglected to realize you were gonna run a HFC. But with the stock cat I didn't think it was terrible at all.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:54 AM

Dwilson357. I guess I should have been more specific. I thought I had read the whitelines tend to rust, but I maybe remembering incorrectly. Yeah I am trying to stay as close to stock for noise levels, so I may need to do more research before purchasing.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 03:12 PM

I am looking at a used High Flow Cat and wondering if there are any concerns with buying one used. Here is a picture of the one I am considering. The listing claims it is an AMS, but I have never seen one that wasn't shiny. I assume the discoloration is due to heat. Anyone think I should skip it?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It goes underneath. No one will see it so why bother having a shinny one. You can make it shine if you wanted to.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 09:00 AM

So I had to put most of my modifications on hold. I did have Boostin Performance install a ACD relocation kit since I have to deal with salted roads every winter. However I am now having a small issue on the interior. It seem that even though I am only a little over 60k miles my steering wheel is starting to break down a little. Is there anything I can do or will I need to replace it?