Notices

Default Sport mode - can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 02:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sport mode - can it be done?

Hi all,

New RA owner from New Zealand - this little car is blowing me away with the bang for buck, but there's a couple things I'd love to change - one of which is the trans.

Is it possible to have the car default to "sport" mode on startup? I find I prefer how it drives with the quicker shifts and even though it's just flicking a switch, it'd be nice not to.

I've already loaded on and started messing with the GST base maps, I used to own an Airtrek Turbo which I could edit the trans pressures and shift points on and got that thing just how I liked it - would be nice to do the same with this
Old Aug 6, 2017, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markfromNZ
Hi all,

New RA owner from New Zealand - this little car is blowing me away with the bang for buck, but there's a couple things I'd love to change - one of which is the trans.

Is it possible to have the car default to "sport" mode on startup? I find I prefer how it drives with the quicker shifts and even though it's just flicking a switch, it'd be nice not to.

I've already loaded on and started messing with the GST base maps, I used to own an Airtrek Turbo which I could edit the trans pressures and shift points on and got that thing just how I liked it - would be nice to do the same with this
I don't think there's a way to default to Sport Mode on startup, but even Sport Mode doesn't provide enough clamping pressure if you do any significant power increasing mods, so I highly recommend downloading Super-Sport Mode. That's what I did, and it made a big difference, no more clutch slipping since!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
SS TCU reflash adds some bugs the last time I check.

Is that still an issue or it was solved?

All the other modes work without problems.

I remember there was a tradeoff that is why I ask.

Last edited by SharkyPR; Aug 7, 2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 07:40 AM
c08

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
SpeedCircuit makes a device that automatically puts the car in super sport mode for cars that support it. I'm not aware of anything like that for sport mode though.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 01:45 PM

Okay - plan B - if I copypasta the throttle and SST clutch grabby type maps from the most agressive of the 5, and put it into maps 2-3-4 - would that have the effect of making the throttle response and shift speeds of sport and normal be the same, but just change the shift pattern between "sport" and "normal"?

Not too keen on bothering with the super-sport mode, the car isn't being tracked and is a DD for me and occasionally the wife
Old Aug 8, 2017, 02:38 PM

For what it's worth -

Edited the throttle maps, and the SST ramp up type ones, and am much, much happier with it. My car is badged as a JDM "Galant Fortis" so I imagine the mapping it had before was a bit different to the USDM market Lancer

Wife had complained about the slow pickup from a standstill (where it feels almost like a dead patch or stuck throttle) - that's sorted
I had issues with the slow clutch engagement in first gear traffic, thats gone
Didn't want to use sport mode to achieve the same - the way it holds gears in normal driving is a nuisance, I wanted the quick DSG style engagement / gearshift but keeping the relaxed shift patterns for normal use

Will upload the rom if anyone wants it, it's pretty simple stuff to be fair - just the GST basemaps with a little bit of fine tuning for E10 98RON and the above changes
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Nice findings! Agree with you on the slow pickup and holding gears, I'd like some setting in between sport and normal mode..sport shifts too low and normal again too high.

Having a Galant Fortis must be rather special too
Old Aug 11, 2017, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Laza
Nice findings! Agree with you on the slow pickup and holding gears, I'd like some setting in between sport and normal mode..sport shifts too low and normal again too high.

Having a Galant Fortis must be rather special too
Shift the car manually and you won't have to worry about it shifting too low or too high.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Slee256
Shift the car manually and you won't have to worry about it shifting too low or too high.
It also defeats the purpose of having this nice SST gearbox - may as well have bought a manual.

Half the appeal of this car for me was the ability to have a relaxed mode, and an angry one - just the relaxed mode was a little bit tooooo laid back for my tastes, compared to the audi/VW DSG boxes I'm used to
Old Aug 16, 2017, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by markfromNZ
It also defeats the purpose of having this nice SST gearbox - may as well have bought a manual.

Half the appeal of this car for me was the ability to have a relaxed mode, and an angry one - just the relaxed mode was a little bit tooooo laid back for my tastes, compared to the audi/VW DSG boxes I'm used to
Shifting this car "manually" is much different than shifting a traditional manual/stick due to not having to depress/release a clutch pedal every time. I had a traditional manual transmission and this SST is really the best of both worlds when you shift it manually.....all of the control over the gears without giving your leg a workout on a silly clutch pedal. Anyway, it's all about personal preference, but I love shifting this SST "hybrid" due to it's perfect blend of both a manual and automatic transmission.