EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Ralliart Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain-309/)
-   -   Custom tune + custom SRI vs OEM intake box = interesting findings (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/507254-custom-tune-custom-sri-vs-oem-intake-box-interesting-findings.html)

Psycho09RA Aug 4, 2010 11:16 AM

Custom tune + custom SRI vs OEM intake box = interesting findings

I decided to prep my car for GST's V2 baseflash a couple days ago by swapping my custom SRI (Evo X MAF air flow tube + AEM dryflow filter) for the OEM intake box w/ my K&N panel filter. Keep in mind that I am running a custom tune based on GST's 91 Oct V1 baseflash w/ Boost Pill.

After swapping, I noticed the following things:

1. Acceleration seems to be more responsive.
2. The TC-SST isn't as notchy in 1st - 3rd gears at speeds less than 25 MPH.
3. Engine noise is significantly reduced. Which I expected anyway.
4. Fuel economy has lowered slightly.

Overall, the car actually "feels" better than it did by switching back to the OEM airbox using the K&N panel filter versus how it "felt" using the custom SRI.

Am I going crazy or is something like this expected? {pcfreak}

I also wonder if my conical air filter choice has something to do with these results as well. Maybe the AEM dryflow is more restrictive than a K&N filter of the same type.

Any thoughts?

Smokahontus Aug 4, 2010 11:35 AM

who did this "custom" tune?

Psycho09RA Aug 4, 2010 11:38 AM

a local tuner

boondoc Aug 4, 2010 12:33 PM

The thing about the short ram intake is that you have to keep that filter clean constantly or it will reduce performance badly. Atleast it does for me. I have the K&N.

SOG RA Aug 4, 2010 01:13 PM

Any conical type filter flows better than a panel, it would have to be very severly plugged up with gods knows what for you to actually notice a performance drop. I have always thought that the OEM intake setup on our cars is going to perform better than any SRI. Its placement and snorkel are great for pulling in air and if you throw a higher CFM panel in there, it will flow even better. Maybe I am wrong, I just never saw the point in getting a SRI, its just sucking up super hot air. That doesnt mean the OEM intake is a CAI type of setup by any means and you are still going to get hot air, but nearly as hot as the SRI.

initial_d2k Aug 4, 2010 01:45 PM

i just did the exact same switch over the weekend.. (no tune tho)

HKS Filter + OEM box gave me a smile =)
Greddy Airinx custom intake (with velocity stack) is just a lil too annoying for daily driving.. - anyone wants this, it's up for sell

Psycho09RA Aug 4, 2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by initial_d2k (Post 8554791)
i just did the exact same switch over the weekend.. (no tune tho)

HKS Filter + OEM box gave me a smile =)
Greddy Airinx custom intake (with velocity stack) is just a lil too annoying for daily driving.. - anyone wants this, it's up for sell

I'm glad I am not the only person noticing this. :D

initial_d2k Aug 4, 2010 03:11 PM

I would say its alot of improvement for DD.
when i had the custom intake, it was so loud that i wouldnt step beyond 2800 rpm ..

now i can step to 4000, still feeling the same power and also can hear my music..

i have to admit the Greddy custom intake was the mod i love the most (the sound of the Type RS) and also the one i hate the most (the sound of everything else):lol:

Originally Posted by Psycho09RA (Post 8554932)
I'm glad I am not the only person noticing this. :D

Slee256 Aug 4, 2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Psycho09RA (Post 8554310)
I decided to prep my car for GST's V2 baseflash a couple days ago by swapping my custom SRI (Evo X MAF air flow tube + AEM dryflow filter) for the OEM intake box w/ my K&N panel filter. Keep in mind that I am running a custom tune based on GST's 91 Oct V1 baseflash w/ Boost Pill.

After swapping, I noticed the following things:

1. Acceleration seems to be more responsive.
2. The TC-SST isn't as notchy in 1st - 3rd gears at speeds less than 25 MPH.
3. Engine noise is significantly reduced. Which I expected anyway.
4. Fuel economy has lowered slightly.

Overall, the car actually "feels" better than it did by switching back to the OEM airbox using the K&N panel filter versus how it "felt" using the custom SRI.

Am I going crazy or is something like this expected? {pcfreak}

I also wonder if my conical air filter choice has something to do with these results as well. Maybe the AEM dryflow is more restrictive than a K&N filter of the same type.

Any thoughts?

My custom tune was also done using the GST basemap as a starting point like you did, but I kept my stock intake and I have had ZERO problems with the car and it runs like a beast day-in and day-out....

oktaneRA Feb 8, 2011 04:23 PM

decision made.....

thanks guys for inputs help me decide.....:mitsu:
I'm going K&N FTW

S2K2EVO Feb 8, 2011 05:17 PM

I also have the K&N drop in filter. I have been very happy with it.

Skym Feb 8, 2011 05:44 PM

Do you guys oil the K&N filters? I read that our cars need dry filters...

Psycho09RA Feb 8, 2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Skym (Post 9060089)
Do you guys oil the K&N filters? I read that our cars need dry filters...

The only time you will need to oil the K&N drop-in is to "recharge" it after you clean it. K&N sells a recharge kit to use to clean it. Just don't put too much oil on it when you "recharge" it. {thumbup}

Slee256 Feb 8, 2011 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Psycho09RA (Post 9060235)
Just don't put too much oil on it when you "recharge" it. {thumbup}

And how do you know if you "put too much oil on it" you ask? Well, if you turn the heat on in the car and have oil shooting out of your dashboard vents, then yep, you put on too much....:lol: This is why I don't like oiled filters....

Psycho09RA Feb 9, 2011 06:14 AM

^:lol:

How much oil did you put on it? LOL{pcfreak}