EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Ralliart Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain-309/)
-   -   E85 conversion? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/736286-e85-conversion.html)

-=Mr B=- Jan 5, 2017 04:55 PM

E85 conversion?

I KNOW i've seen a thread on this, but i just cant seam to find it.
If anyone has an idea about where to find a complete writeup on a e85 (not flexfuel) conversion, feel free to share a link.

I know i'm supposed to, as a bare minimum, change the filter sock. Possibly the pump as well. But i have no idea what i should replace them with. It's not like they have a "e85 conversion kit for Mr B" anywhere.

Of course, down the line, i'd love to make some more power as well, so higher flowing injectors, and a map to suit, but first of i'm actually just thinking about retaining my current performance, and being able to refuel after dark, since the pump-stations turn of the pumps with 98oct when they shut down for the evening and go home, but e85, 95oct, and diesel is still open for business.
I'm thinking the higher flowing injectors, and a map, would also require a turbo swap, and i'm not sure that's going to happen until the stock one starts spilling oil everywhere. Which i hope isn't happening for a while yet. Please, don't let that happen anytime soon, pretty please?

Anyway. As i said, i KNOW i read a bunch about e85 conversions for the 2010 RA.
Aaaand... Since i don't have any good pictures of mine, i'll just use this one:
https://imganuncios.mitula.net/mitsu...8531182344.jpg

Not sure why THEY have that picture... But anyway, that is actually my car, about 6 months before i bought it from the dealer, and let me tell you.. it's not that pretty anymore. It would do well with a wash, and some shine.
Not to mention a new front right fender/wheel, and a paintjob since a Volvo XC90 decided to rub against me, and cause all sorts of body-shell damages. Dropping it of at the workshop on Sunday, so i suppose i should get it that wash at least...
B!

4b11slayer Jan 5, 2017 08:27 PM

fuel pump
fuel inectors
tune

Veronica Jan 6, 2017 05:43 AM

^yep.
Wait until you can do it all at once.

DO NOT just switch the pump (stock injectors and tune would be sooo lean - It could melt a piston in a heartbeat).

I am jealous!
I would switch over if E85 was available here - just for the performance!
Enjoy!

(And nice car! - so go clean and detail it up! NOW!)

-=Mr B=- Jan 6, 2017 12:38 PM

Well, the point of (me) switching to e85 is actually availability, rather then performance.
It pisses me of to no end that i cant fill the tank once the clock hits 00:00, and for what ever reason it seams i always find out that i need to fill up after 00:00, friday and saturday night.
I know i read about a fella who simply started putting e85 in his tank, no filter, no pump, no tune, and it was just fine. Of course, we don't know for how long, but i think i read that after 6 months he pulled the filter sock, and it was a nasty discolored thing, that really needed to be replaced. But that was, as far as i remember, the last he posted on it.
But, he ran stock, and mine is, as the picture shows, preowned, and has a tune on it already. So, i would have to do something to make sure it doesn't make aluminum slurry with the pistons, if only keep an eye on it, so i know it's "ok".

I mean, it's easy to say "do it all at once" but at this point i'm note even sure i want it to produce more power. I might want a safe tune, since it's rather expensive to melt aluminum inside the engine, and i'm quite sure i don't want less power, but since i don't even really know what i have as a starting point, i'm quite lost.

As i said in the first post, i know i "could" go the full switch route, bigger pump, higher flow injectors, and a tune, but , i wouldn't even know what pump, or injectors to get.

Hell, i said i would pick up a Openport 2.0, or the TephraXMOD V3... Need to stop sitting on my hands, and get on that, too.

Oh, and we have E85 at every pumpstation, unmanned or manned. Where as 98oct, is only available on manned stations, and when the crew goes home, the pumps with 98oct are shut down, while the rest remain on as on any unmanned station...
B!

RazorLab Jan 6, 2017 12:54 PM

fuel sock GM #GM92220509

I'd do Tephra V3 with flexconvertor.com flex fuel sensor setup.

I bet the stock dinky RA turbo could be tuned to run E85 on stock fuel system.

-=Mr B=- Jan 6, 2017 06:30 PM

As i said, i know there was a daily driver that simply started filling his tank with e85 instead of petrol. "no issues" but that was, of course, sample size 1, and for a unknown duration. I am pretty sure he reported back 6 months later with the fuel sock status, and a few pictures, other than that, was very happy with the results. (And that was an expected issue.) But now i cant, for the life of me, find where he posted that.
Go figure.

flexconverter.com?

I doubt i'm going through with a conversion with flexifuel sensor, since fuel conversions actually are illegal here, and if they spot it on the yearly MOT the least i'll get is a sticker on the window that says i can legally drive it home, and remove the stuff for a new try at the MOT. Fitting it somewhere where it cant be seen is an option, but i'm not exactly great with a set of spanners.

Thank you for the fuel sock part number. Going to have to look in to pump, and injectors as well, but truth be told, i'm not sure it's happening at this point. Anyway, thank you, again.
B!

RazorLab Jan 6, 2017 08:02 PM

I don't think they would find the http://flexconverter.com/ setup unless they pull the back seat cushion.

-=Mr B=- Jan 7, 2017 07:41 AM

It's not quite that simple. Since i'm in Sweden, (Makes the car a EDM, i think?) they don't have a bolt on kit like that. Somehow i have to run a line to the ECU for the sensor output, figure out where it actually connects, (C47, connector, somewhere under the dash? Brown, or blue wire, but i cant make sense of the diagrams) and then i need to figure out what this magic trickery with the fuel tank pressure - EVAP is, and how to do it, that is, if i have to do it... I think i do?

When i said i don't know how to use a spanner, i should perhaps has said that i don't understand the first thing about cars, and car electronics.
B!

RazorLab Jan 7, 2017 10:33 AM

Then I'm not really sure what you are asking in this thread.

-=Mr B=- Jan 7, 2017 10:42 AM

I think the answer to THAT is "the wrong questions".
Anyway, i got the filter sock part number, if i decide i want to try and just start filling it with e85, that is a good start. I'm aware that i will at that point, not be able to run the current tune, and should reflash with the standard one, since i know i read about it being used in this way. Running my tune with e85 might very well start melting stuff, and i don't want that.
On the upside, TephraXMOD V3 should let me switch between "my current" and a stock tune, so that shouldn't be a problem. Shouldn't.
Weird that. I trust my ability to figure out the software stuff a lot more then my car-hardware ability.

B!

RazorLab Jan 7, 2017 11:17 AM

You cannot just fill the car with E85 on the stock tune. The car will run insanely lean.

-=Mr B=- Jan 7, 2017 12:19 PM

I'll have to trust you guys on that, i suppose. Just coz i read someone did it, and that it was "ok" for 6 months, doesn't mean it's right, or safe. But then i need to find a "stock" tune for e85, to put in as one of my map's. And, if i have to, tweak it. Bottom line remains the same, switch to which ever map matches whats in the tank, and go from there.

Really wanted the USD to not be at an all time high when i had to buy, and have things shipped, but what can you do...
(Ok, exaggerating slightly. 2001-2004 the dollar was more expensive then now, and mid 1980's there was a year where it was matching the current exchange rate. But that is what we get for sticking to our own currency. Good healthy economy, that the banks, and politicians drive through the ground, so that we can keep the exports up. Yey.)

Anyway, i'll have to get the wallet opened up, and buy a OpenPort 2, so i can pull my software, and send it to David so he can have a look at it, and let me know if the V3 is a fit.
B!

Slee256 Jan 8, 2017 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by -=Mr B=- (Post 11699278)
I'll have to trust you guys on that, i suppose.

Smart decision.

Veronica Jan 9, 2017 07:06 AM

Trust Razorlab > "some guy did it with no issues."

-=Mr B=- Jan 12, 2018 07:23 AM

Sooo.

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer (Post 11698868)
fuel pump
fuel inectors
tune

Since i never really got around to it last time. And the government decided that a more then 30% price difference between E85 & 98 octane was in order, i suppose it is time to do something.
However, since the law frowns on people who:
Likes cars in general
Modified cars
Fuel conversions in general

It sort of has to be "stealth" mode here.

Is there any sort of "shopping list" for known good stuff, or what should one do?
I'll probably end up with a Tephra mod, so that i can run at least 2 maps, and shift between them, where one is as close to what i got today as possible, which is a tune for 98oct, and one that is my daily driver, for E85. Which has been the plan for a long time, but never happened due to not picking up a Tactrix Openport 2.0. And THAT didn't happen since they never had the extension cable home. Will have to just get it over with, and get a cable from somewhere else. (It is still the Tactrix Openport 2.0 that is the tool of choice?)
Since i cant figure out what the flexifuel conversion actually necessitates, i think i'll skip that one, and just switch maps manually.

I have been snooping around a bit on my own, but the only suggestion i could find for injectors were some quite colorful, from a tuner who really doesn't care if you can get your car past the yearly inspection or not. Bright red, yellow, green and blue "caps" on the injectors makes it sort of a lost cause to start with.

I guess what i'm hoping for is none descript shopinglist with partnumbers, so i can go find the darn things, and go find me a local tuner that can help me put it on the car, and tune it so it wont explode on me.

Someone is bound to have done this sort of tune before, i'm not actually looking for a boost in performance, it's already tuned to 300, or close, and that is fine. I'm more looking at cutting the government out of the fuel taxes. In the end i'll save peanuts, and probably never will make the investment back, but since the tax on gas is going up every year, and there is no tax on E85, in a few years i'll be saving a small amount every time i fill the tank.