EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Ralliart Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain-309/)
-   -   Ralliart transmission help? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/746573-ralliart-transmission-help.html)

chrisrojas10 Feb 9, 2018 09:11 AM

Ralliart transmission help?

I am new to this community but I am very excited about my new car and joining the mitsubishi scene and community
The evo has always been my dream car, and a couple days ago i had the chance pick up a 2010 lancer ralliart (not an evo but I'm very happy with my car). The car is used and has 116000 miles, and the carfax was clean. After about 2 days of driving the car I got a "engine system service required" alert. The owners manual says the timing belt may be worn, but the mechanic said the timing belt was recently changed and in good shape. I took it to a mitsubishi dealer to have it diagnosed by the service team and they told me that the entire transmission must be replaced. The light went away after the diagnostic but sure enough a day later here I am with the light back. I find it odd because the car runs fine. I do notice a burning smell from the car, but this is my first "high" horsepower and turbocharged car (i drove a NA veloster before, which did have a bad transmission so I have experience on what a dying transmission feels like). Ive been reading that the SST fluid could be old and should be flushed and replaced, and this is what I'm going to do but hopefully someone here can give me some suggestions??

Also, i forgot but one time the car did not want to go in reverse or forward, and i got a light saying transmission was overheating, weird because the car was parked before.

DontStopMe Feb 9, 2018 11:22 AM

Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your issues. Unfortunately i'm willing to bet this car is not going to be too kind to you.

First, the Ralliart had a 4b11 engine with a timing chain, not a timing belt like the evo8 & evo 9's(4G63) has. The timing chain on earlier evo's have been known to stretch.

The SST transmissions on the ralliarts are most expense part of the car and the fluid needs to be changed every 20k miles or so. Did the previous owner have any maintenance records? You can try swapping the fluid and hope that helps, but i'm willing to be the previous owner may have done that very recently(any only recently) to dump it off and sell it.

Good luck

MinusPrevious Feb 9, 2018 02:25 PM

Yes, welcome aboard as well

Listen to Pauls advice. He's been around the block & one of our EvO Gurus

If you have continued questions, let us know

Joe, :beer:

MrJake4933 Sep 13, 2018 02:13 PM

Hey guys. I am having the same issue with the service engine service required light. Is it the Timing Chain?I changed the transmission fluid recently but it kinds feels like it chunks sometimes when coming to a stop. mine is a 2011 Ralliart Sportback

chrisrojas10 Sep 13, 2018 08:49 PM

I ended up changing the timing chain, transmission fluid, engine oil and the lights have gone away. The car hasn't given me a single problem since. You should also check the oil pump.

hixlancer Sep 14, 2018 09:00 AM

Good to hear your issues were resolved. Enjoy your ralliart 👍🏻

hixlancer Sep 14, 2018 09:00 AM

Mr Jake can you read the code and see what it says?