Notices

How to: Install drop-in air filter

Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I have to unclip the bottom every time? First time I didn't, and it took some efforts to take the filter out and especially to put the new one. But no doubts about the bottom clipped... As far as I understand you unclip the bottom and than replace the filter?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
no, you shouldnt have to unclip the bottom. its easiest with two people actually. if the one person just pulls the top apart while pushing downward to keep the lower section in-place while the second person just pulls the old filter out and drops the filter in, thats the easiest way to do it.

the only issue with the bottom of the box is that sometimes while pulling the box apart to get the filter in/out the lower section mis-aligns and creates gaps that air can get in to the turbo without passing through the filter.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
its easiest with two people actually.
Yes, I've got the same idea... But it's too much for such an operation... Agile samurai must do it on it's own, that's the way of the warrior...

Thanks for the howto, it helps much! Great job - worldwide...
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

thank you, great write up
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:30 PM

just read your post...I have a gts but the air box is the same as the ralliart. I installed a k&n drop in a couple thousand miles ago. Im in class right now stressing over the bottom of my air box now. Im going to have to check asap! thanks for the heads up
Old May 27, 2011, 03:40 PM

and i know most people will joke and laugh about how silly it is to even post a write-up like this, but for some people, their lancer may be the first car they've even bothered to look under the hood, let alone attempt to change something. and it can be a bit intimidating, for a beginner, doing even the smallest things, but that's why this community is here, for help. so for those of you who can use this how-to and this may be your first mod ever, or just the first mod youve ever done for this car, congratulations and good luck
Thanks so much for this. And you are right on..this is my first mod and I normally don't work on cars much. I have been scared to touch the car much and void my warranty. By the way, what kind (if any) of performance increase does this provide? I am guessing just a few horsepower..
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:18 PM

What do you think is better, works or k&n? And how much hp will this really give you?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

You may see a couple HP, if that, but it really won't be much. Maybe more of a slight bump in MPG during highway cruise, but again, not a whole heck of a lot. It just paves the way to allow greater airflow once the car starts seeing more and more upgrades. The stock air intake system is actually designed quite well on these cars.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:44 AM

You may see a couple HP, if that, but it really won't be much. Maybe more of a slight bump in MPG during highway cruise, but again, not a whole heck of a lot. It just paves the way to allow greater airflow once the car starts seeing more and more upgrades. The stock air intake system is actually designed quite well on these cars.
Thanks for the feedback. From what I can tell, getting the factory spec car dyno tuned, along with an aftermarket kit like the AMS intake would be much more beneficial towards increasing MPG and power.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

I have seen a small improvement in mileage from my K&N drop-in, but the most noticeable improvement has come at high RPM (better throttle response).

Helps most when I'm on the track, or on a spirited early morning jaunt before the cops start their speed traps.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Just my experience, but here goes...

I find it easiest to remove the bolt (10mm hex) securing the side of the air box, closest to the battery. I use a socket extension, as I can't fit my hand in there to use a wrench.

Remove this bolt, and the one end of the air intake tube connected to the air box, and it makes taking the air filter in and out much easier.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:03 PM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I tried keeping the bottom pieces lined up when I switched out the filter on my GTS, but all I really saw were black plastic bits that sorta/kinda fit together. I'm guessing those are the bottom clips you're talking about?

If the filter looks like it's flush all the way around with both sides of the box, is it safe to assume I got those bottom clips together right?

(Pardon the forum crash, but you've got the same setup as us!)

Last edited by ninjacoco; Jul 16, 2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
I tried keeping the bottom pieces lined up when I switched out the filter on my GTS, but all I really saw were black plastic bits that sorta/kinda fit together. I'm guessing those are the bottom clips you're talking about?

If the filter looks like it's flush all the way around with both sides of the box, is it safe to assume I got those bottom clips together right?

(Pardon the forum crash, but you've got the same setup as us!)
Lol, no worries.

Yes, the two extended black plastic tabs on the bottom of one side of the box drop into the two slots on the bottom of the other half of the box. Not really clips in terms of functionality.

The easiest way to check is just reach down near the bottom of the airbox(hand or screwdriver of whatever) and try to push the side of the airbox, the one that doesn't have the metal latches attached to it, away from the filter. If you see it separating from the filter, it's installed wrong. If the whole airbox shifts slightly, together as one piece, you're good to go.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

First of all i know this thread was made 3 years ago...so please don't bash on me for bumping it to the top. I just want answer for this question. Does the aftermarket drop-in filter will make the whooshing/sucking air sound more audible than the stock air filter? I am using Ralliart filter by the way.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe slightly, but not much. Nowhere near what you'd normally hear from a cone filter CAI or SRI

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to: Install drop-in air filter