Notices

Request: How to install an additional Tach gauge??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request: How to install an additional Tach gauge??

Hi everyone. I know It'sa a bit strange and also noob question, but I really want to solve this one.
I have 09 RA. One of my friends gave me his old Tach for free, so I thought of putting it in. Now, Power and Ground is not a problem. What I can't figure out is which wire to tap into to get the interruption signal from the ECU to the coils? In addition I can't figure out what is the fourth wire for?
Also I had a thought - if there is no single wire from ECU to the coils (and somewhy I think that there isn't one), is it possible to tap into the signal to the original tach? And if possible - how would I find it??
Thanks in advance)))
Old Dec 6, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

If you have to try to find the one the original feeds off of, you can take it and unplug your gauge cluster and hook the signal wire to a paper clip and push it into each hole where the wires come in and see which one makes the tach read at idle.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

y would you? your not running anything that the stock tach cant handle? dont go ricer status
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4g63smokinall4s
y would you? your not running anything that the stock tach cant handle? dont go ricer status
you have an awd turbo that smokes many things w/ large tachs.... just sell the tach and get a power mod...
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:08 AM

I really apretiate the usefull comments from ppl on this matter.. On the other hand: I was asking how to put it in, not what to do with it. There is a reason why a lot of professional race cars hae aftermarket tachs installed....... Because when you're on a track going around 200kmh and squeezing between ricers, you can't take your eyes off the road... Because never know what the ricers will do))))))
So that's why I need a tach right in the corner of my eyes
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Are you a professional driver goin around a track at 200 km/h squeezing between ricers?

Please pardon my *******ness but i agree that this tach would be useless to you. I would understand if you had an old car where a tach was optional from factory, which is the reason why these are made. If you pay attention to your engine feel and sound you won't need this. Alpha said it right sell it and buy a power mod or a power smoothie. Either way you won't lose any money.

But hey! If you must know then google how to install or go to a ricer forum and ask there.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Find our ecu diagram and tap the rpm signal wire. Then wire the 12v, ground and illumination wire in the fuse box. I used to love autometer 5" tachometer with shiftlights in my honda...They really do help because the cluster in the Hondas are soo tiny. And my civic cx hatch didn't have a tachometer. LOL!!! I remember with my b18c1 swap i would hit the rev limiter all the time because I didn't have one.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

RED - 12v
BLACK - Ground
WHITE - Illumination (light)
GREEN/BLUE - RPM Signal
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Evo X wiring diagram

You can use Coil No.1 signal wire for rpm signal.
New evo x CAN crap changes things. It's not the same as the old school cars.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dark_PhoeniX
I really apretiate the usefull comments from ppl on this matter.. On the other hand: I was asking how to put it in, not what to do with it. There is a reason why a lot of professional race cars hae aftermarket tachs installed....... Because when you're on a track going around 200kmh and squeezing between ricers, you can't take your eyes off the road... Because never know what the ricers will do))))))

what the hell..... alright ill be easy.. you dont need a tach.. if you really neeed to watch your rpm while your (racing) you shouldnt be "racing" you do have ears right?

anyways there is a link up top... splice into the stock tach wire off the ecu
Old Dec 18, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g63smokinall4s

what the hell..... alright ill be easy.. you dont need a tach.. if you really neeed to watch your rpm while your (racing) you shouldnt be "racing" you do have ears right?

anyways there is a link up top... splice into the stock tach wire off the ecu
That is what i was saying.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:21 PM

Thanks for all the info you guys gave me. I'll try to conquer this thingy)))
And again - This topic is about how to install the tach, not why someone needs it or should someone get it. So plz don't go off-top giving the opinions that weren't asked.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

sorry man were just tryin to help u not fall into rice category your steering towards..
thats all.. do what u want
GL!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark_PhoeniX
Real racers know their car enough to shift by sound alone. Hell, you have a transmission that can shift for you, another tach is a waste of time and money. You'll notice that most race cars have normal looking gauge clusters, not some massive ricer tach in the middle of the ****ing dash.

Race car interior

Ricer interior

Which one has the giant tach?

Last edited by ambystom01; Dec 27, 2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Hahaha. You see a nice Race car on option 1, and then you see a crappy car with a tach and shift light, and if you look literally 3 inches to the right, there is a stock tach right there that is probably the same size.

You do not need an aftermarket tachometer on almost ALL of our cars. Maybe for extreme auto-x or racing applications, but if you fall in that category you should know when to shift by feel and the sound of the motor.

Gotta keep an eye on that VTECCCC YOOOOOO!
Flame-on

Quick Reply: Request: How to install an additional Tach gauge??