Notices

HOW TO: K&N SRI for no more than $70.00

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lancer0220
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...14&catalogid=2

about a 1.00 cheaper ships from texas. they are a real good dealership get stuff to me real fast.

this SHOULD NOT require a tune. Just because it LOOKS like UR's intake doesnt mean it IS the same.

TTP engineering stated

"We ADAMANTLY discourage the use any intake system with an enlarged MAF adapter section specifically designed to bypass unmetered air from the intake past the maf sensor."

IF The evo X maf adapter part IS the same diameter as the stock maf adapter on the Ralliarts intake box (im pretty sure it is) then you DONT need a tune. All the air that is entering the car is being metered properly and the cars can adjust the fuel trims accordingly, I THINK i read somewhere that the UR intake maf housing was .2"

A SRI like thsi is the equivalent of having a K&N drop in filter and leaving the stock snorkel off so that the airbox has an opening...i dont think you would need a tune for taking off the stock snorkel.

UNLESS YOU HAVE LOGGED YOUR A/F with this item on UNTUNED and you know FORSURE that the A/F was wayy to high dont say it DOES need a tune. Theres no reason to pass along information that is not entirely correct.

I'm goin to borrow my friends wide band and i will see how the numbers look and will report it to you guys as soon as i can. The adapter should be here sometime next week if no one orders it from the dealer in Jersey b4 they ship it.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boondoc
I'm goin to borrow my friends wide band and i will see how the numbers look and will report it to you guys as soon as i can. The adapter should be here sometime next week if no one orders it from the dealer in Jersey b4 they ship it.

sounds good. take some time to do a baseline this week before you get the intake. we need to know where your AFR is at stock otherwise your AFR with intake is useless.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
sounds good. take some time to do a baseline this week before you get the intake. we need to know where your AFR is at stock otherwise your AFR with intake is useless.
I'll see wat i can do.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Hey jake i tried installing this tonight. The only issue i have is getting off that harness attached to the box, the one that you put to the side in your pics, is givin me trouble, its a ***** to take off and i'm tryin not to break the clip. I'll give it another go in the morning hold the flashlight is another hassle.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

UPDATE: Ok i installed it and i must say that the throttle seems more responsive and it is loud as ****! I didnt realize any real power increase but i wasn't expecting much anyway, also there were so many cops on the road 4 mins of driving and i saw 8 cars, WTF?!. I will keep it on for the remainder of the day because i got to work tonight but my tools and stock intake will be in the trunk just in case. Tomorrow i will uninstall until i can check the A/F ratio stock vs intake.

Thanx Jake.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 01:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by OniLancer
You may not need a tune. I would imagine the EvoX maf housing is the same dimensions, therefore, the computer will put the right amount of air/fuel in... unlike the UR one. I could be wrong though, would need to check the A/F on a dyno or something to verify.

you need to tune, the maf housing isnt the major issue. Its the large amount of air in comparison to the stock box.

please stop spreading rumors
Old Dec 24, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Groundfades
you need to tune, the maf housing isnt the major issue. Its the large amount of air in comparison to the stock box.

please stop spreading rumors

Ok first off yes more air is coming in, but the MAF housing size is the same. This means the calibration of the MaF sensor has not been messed with in any way. All that is happening is MORE air is coming in and the PCM will adjust the FUEL intake according to the stock maps.

The faster you go the more air enters your stock intake duct, does that mean you need a tune for driving fast ? No, your car adjusts for it accordingly.

If anything initially the car will be leaner than normal but after a few miles the car should adjust properly.

TTP engineering clearly stated the problem with the intake for the ralliart that needed the tune was because it had AN ENLARGED MAF HOUSING not because MORE AIR was coming in...

The final answer as to whether it needs a tune or not can not be known for sure until 2 comparisons are done with a wideband until then its open to discussion. I am not saying 100% no tune needed all I am doing is providing some facts to the no tune side. As with every argument there are two sides and each side has some truth to it.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Heated debate lol. I was gonna take this thing off but I dunno, I like the sound and responsiveness. If all goes well I should be gettin tuned next month so I don't think I'll have any issues.........hopefully.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:30 AM

Very good write up. Thank you for sharing this. I'm going to be doing this for sure
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting indeed. Please do let us know the results!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:29 PM

one question, anyone have a K&N drop in filter, then did this?? do u hear the bpv a lot better? or is it the same? any difference (stupid question i know but) between the K&N drop in filter and this SRI??? thanks! im def gonna do this, but wanted to know what to expect
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Haven't done it, but I'm sure without the snorkel you can expect slightly louder BPV sounds, and slightly warmer air intake temps.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:36 AM
tre
Evolving Member

anyone else try this yet? results?
boondoc - did you ever get around to doing some logging with a wideband?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tre
anyone else try this yet? results?
boondoc - did you ever get around to doing some logging with a wideband?
No i haven't sorry. I haven't gotten a hold of a wideband and I'm not taking off the intake like i had planned originally, to do a b4 intake and after. I'm getting dyno tuned Friday and it would've cost an extra $50 to do the change on the dyno. I will have a b4 tune and after with the intake on though so i guess we can see how it is at WOT.

BTW this intake is the ****. We have a cold front here in FL i have a smile on my face non stop . The power is there and i'm sure after the tune i will see some nice gains. And the sound is amazing especially the spool at WOT (tested at an abandoned area, of course). I haven't had any issues with it either, no CEL, limp mode, nothing.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boondoc
BTW this intake is the ****. We have a cold front here in FL i have a smile on my face non stop . The power is there and i'm sure after the tune i will see some nice gains. And the sound is amazing especially the spool at WOT (tested at an abandoned area, of course). I haven't had any issues with it either, no CEL, limp mode, nothing.
Sweet! Sounds like the custom SRI is working like a charm then. Plus, I finally found a tuner in my area that can do a custom tune for my RA if I do get an intake for it.

I want to order the EvoX MAF housing now.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: K&N SRI for no more than $70.00