Notices

Cig lighter wiring

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cig lighter wiring

I wanna install LEDs in my car using the power source from my cig lighter. I was wondering how i could get the cig lighter inside between the seats. Pictures would be great
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:01 PM

hey man. check this out. This is what I am gonna do when I wire in my radar detector and navi. also gives access to more stuff for future.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ng-else-7.html
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting, this may be an option. Btw do you know how to get the cig wires from inside the center box?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:26 AM

Sorry I don't. I am not one for cutting into the cars stock system. If you build the distro block you can just run wires to it and it is easily taken out. I am hoping to have some time for it in the near future, with a 2 kids and a wife it's difficult to spend time on the car.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

lol yeah, where did you add the green wire tho?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to get access to the cig lighter wiring you will need to take apart the center console and simply lift up the back section. to wire to that what i did was simply unplug it which leaves 1 adapter and the cig plug which has 2 prong that go into the adapter, 1 prong is positive and 1 is ground, just put your wire through the appropriate hole in the prong then take the adapter and force it back on, wiring is usually thin so it should go on without much force. and that's the way i did it to avoid splicing factory wiring
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by pbassist12
lol yeah, where did you add the green wire tho?
I have not done the distro block yet. It is something I am planning on doing and I do not plan on splicing into any factory wiring.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by total0wnage
to get access to the cig lighter wiring you will need to take apart the center console and simply lift up the back section. to wire to that what i did was simply unplug it which leaves 1 adapter and the cig plug which has 2 prong that go into the adapter, 1 prong is positive and 1 is ground, just put your wire through the appropriate hole in the prong then take the adapter and force it back on, wiring is usually thin so it should go on without much force. and that's the way i did it to avoid splicing factory wiring

Ok so I did this and when I turned key so power would go to cig plug it popped fuse... I replaced fuse with a 20 instead of the 15 and tried again this time melted wires extremely fast.... what am I missing. I have it all connected to a on off switch?

sorry for the old thread revival.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You are making contact somewhere that you are not supposed to which is causing constant flow of too much current, causing the fuse to pop and to ultimately melt wiring. This is why fuses are set at a certain amperage, to prevent wiring damage like that.

I suggest trying another method for sourcing power. The easiest, and most easily reversible, safe way to do so is to use a fuse tap like this one:

You basically unplug a 10A fuse from the fuse box and plug this in its place. Then install 2 10A fuses into this fuse tap. One fuse will run your original fused circuit as normal. The second fuse is used to create a completely new circuit that runs independantly of your circuit that you tapped into. Use the red wire lead coming from the fuse tap as your power source for your new component that you are adding.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:06 AM

ok thanks I will try that out.. lastly where is a good interior ground I'm having trouble locating a good ground...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It depends on what you are installing and where it will be. The best route to ground is the shortest possible path.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:24 PM

Im installing led strips one under driverside dash lighting up pedals, one in door molding and same with passenger side attached to a switch where the heated seats switches are for those who have heated seats... Just trying to find good ground believe i keep popping fuse because not finding a good ground. a pic would also help if you know of one in the center console area.