EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Ralliart How-To/Installations (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-how-installations-311/)
-   -   Running the Fog lights without headlights (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-how-installations/498124-running-fog-lights-without-headlights.html)

laksman91 Apr 6, 2010 02:06 PM

Request: Independent Fog Light Mod

I was wondering does anyone have any idea how to make the fog lights independent of the low beams? So they can be run with DRLs etc

03chi-town0Z Apr 6, 2010 02:26 PM

not sure if there is another way, but if you wanted, its just a matter of cutting the positive power wire to the fogs, adding a switch or button somewhere in the car, and then tapping a fuse or other power source so you can manually send power to the fogs.

as for tapping into the fog power wire, you can use the blue wire that runs from connector c-312 which is on the bottom left of the etacs ecu or you can use the blue wire with green stripe that comes off of the fog lamp relay in the underhood fuse block.

then find a constant power source and run a wire from the constant power to the switch and the other side of the switch run a wire to one of the above mentioned wires to the fog lamps to manually send power

initial_d2k Apr 6, 2010 05:30 PM

I want to do Independent fog mod as well, but I want to keep the existing button beside the low beam ..

laksman91 Apr 7, 2010 11:12 AM

Anything with less work? Like here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/howtos/foglight/

03chi-town0Z Apr 7, 2010 12:31 PM

yeah, that can be done if you just want to have the fogs on all the time, or just keep opening the hood to turn them on or off. i'll look up the relay to see which one and which terminals you'd need to jump, give me a bit...

edit: ok, so if you go into the underhood relay box pull the fog lamp relay, which, if youre looking at the box from the front of the car, should be the one nearest to you on the far left side of a row of 3 similar relays. then you will see four terminals set up like:

1 2

i recommend checking with a dvom, just to make sure, but there should be power at terminal 4, either way, you are going to want to jump terminal 4-3 and it should signal the fogs to always be on as long as there is power at terminal 4, the only concern is that i'm not sure if it's constant power or ignition-on only, so the dvom or test light will help determine that, or just hook it up and see i guess...

initial_d2k Apr 7, 2010 09:04 PM

does that mean the switch will not work anymore?

laksman91 Apr 7, 2010 10:43 PM

whats a dvom? and +1 on the switch

evil03 Apr 8, 2010 01:35 AM

digital volt ohm meter?? imma guessing here

evil03 Apr 8, 2010 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by initial_d2k (Post 8177199)
does that mean the switch will not work anymore?

yes that mean it wont work anymore

03chi-town0Z Apr 8, 2010 07:00 AM

evil is right on both counts

laksman91 Apr 8, 2010 06:00 PM

what's the main idea behind getting them to be independent

initial_d2k Apr 8, 2010 06:37 PM

yeah .. then this is necessarily like tapping to the ignition or accessory ..

03chi-town0Z Apr 8, 2010 06:45 PM

yup, so you want to essentially run accy power to terminal 3 on the relay if you want to do this mod, not really worth it i dont think, i just dont see the purpose. but if you want to do it, i'm glad to help you figure out how

initial_d2k Apr 8, 2010 08:13 PM

cuz right now, to turn on the fog light, i need to turn on my low beam (oem hid).
im trying to find a way that i can turn on (switch on) the fog even if i dun have low beam on ..

03chi-town0Z Apr 8, 2010 08:31 PM

using the original spin-style switch on the turn signal stalk? im 99% positive it's not possible without being able to write code in the etacs ecu, which cant be done by the average joe or even the dealership. the only way i could imagine it would even be possible is if you change turn signal stalks to one without the fog lamp option, then go into etacs and turn fog presence to off and signal the fog circuit to operate as drl, as would be done in a car like the outlander with oem hid's in the fogs. (a lot of guys with outlanders with factory hid like to do the opposite and add fog lamp turn signal switches so they can have both sets of lights on at once) since the drls on the lancer are still in the headlamp assembly, even with the hid system, i doubt this will work, but it would be worth a shot i suppose if you knew someone with a mutIII that could connect with the car. otherwise you're paying probably at least an hour for shop time at a dealership on something that may not even be possible