Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

light suspension modifications for EDM EvoIX - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 07:20 AM
vd
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question light suspension modifications for EDM EvoIX - thoughts?

Hi all!

I'm currently thinking and searching on the topic of small suspension modifications to be done on my 2006 EDM EvoIX next spring (just before the season opens up). The car is my DD and our roads here (i live in Ukraine, Eastern Europe) are kinda bumpy things most of the time, I visit tracks eventually (i.e. 2-3 times per month). As i've said the modifications to be done are mild, hence no coilovers or any similar significant (and expensive stuff).

As of now I see the following items:

1) Whiteline Steering Precision Kit
2) Whiteline Bump Steer Correction Kit
3) Whiteline Front swaybar 26mm
4) Whiteline Rear swaybar 22mm adjustable
5) Perrin PSRS
6) Energy Suspension Master Kit (black one, ofc except bushings in front that are in the same place as PSRS)
7) AMS Front motor mount
8) Energy Suspension M/T shifter bushings
9) Beatrush Propeller Shaft Mount Bushings
10) Beatrush Rear Differential Mount Spacers

in case i'll have enough funds this will be complemented with new rims (thinking of Enkei RPF1 8.5*17 or 5zigen FN01R 8.5*17 or BuddyClub P1 Racing QF (those are much more expensive) and wider tires (255/40/17), otherwise will run stock rims with 235/45/17 Direzza Z1 Star-spec.

Brakes are planned to be retained stock pistons with SS lines (Techna-Fit), Racing Brake ET500 (or is it much more beneficial to run ET700?), Motul RBF600 (already there) and perhaps Girodisc 2-piece slotted rotors all the way (depends on the money).

Could you, guys, please comment on whether I'm on the right way, whether I should consider any important things to be added or some not so important to be removed from the list or changed to other?

I will highly appreciate any meaningful inputs.

Thanks.

PS wheel alignment I believe should be something like -2/-1.5 camber in the front/rear, 0/0.5 toe in the front/rear and maximum caster in the result

Last edited by vd; Dec 18, 2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Go with the 24mm rear whiteline swaybar instead of the 22.

everything else looks good to me though. that's a very good set-up either as foundation for later mods or all by itself.

alignment settings look good too, although i prefer 0 toe front and rear.

- andrew
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a lotta bushings; wowser! As it's been said; that'll be a heck of a foundation. Personally I think you could get a good set of coilovers slapped on - aligned - and probably be better right out of the box. BUT, if you're thinking long term; you're on the better mod path.

Down the road when you buy rims; go for 9" or the 8.5" especially if you're going to run 255's. Less sidewall flex/roll will give you better response, fell and tire wear.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would do a MR Bilstein Strut with Swift Springs. I think that was the best strut/spring combo I've ever ran. I've moved onto Bilstein PSS9's and I highly recommend those for a daily driver coilover.

I've been running the ET700's for almost a year now. While they are decent on the daily drive, quiet and very low dusting I think I am stepping it up to the ET800's or 900's next time. During my last summer trackday, it just felt like I could use a more aggressive pad after about 10 minutes of lapping.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 02:51 AM
vd
Evolving Member

As was 100% correctly noted the setup is planned to be the foundation, which can give improvements by itself. At the moment I can't afford involving change of the struts/springs, however this is being kept in mind to be done at a later stages. When that moment comes I will search for decent solution in the area. But as of now (i.e. next season) I just want to put all the small things right to make sure everything is ready to support the development of my driving skills and eventually further development of the car's technical specifications.

As of now I see following changes to be made to the initial list:

1) RSB 24mm instead of 22mm (thanks Andrew)
2) consider wheels alignment to be neutral in respect of toe (thanks Andrew once again)
3) switch to wider tires (255 width) only together with change of rims to wider ones (thanks boomn29)
4) consider ET700 pads instead of ET500 (thanks RichC)

I will highly appreciate any other suggestions or recommendations in case there are any to be presented.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

no prob VD, if you have more questions about Racing Brake products, PM Peter Tiebout.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/me...r-tiebout.html
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can run 255/40's on stock wheels without rubbing but the angle on the sidewall with a 255 is better for handling on a 9" wide wheel. I run 17x9 5zigens with 255/40 for my summer setup. They look good on the evo in matt black.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The Energy master kit should include rear diff bushings so you won't need to get the Beatrush ones. I personally have the RB ET500 pads and am very happy with them for street and autocross duty. I recommend ATE Blue fluid instead of Motul though; cheaper and requires less frequent flushes and its specs are almost as good.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:49 AM
vd
Evolving Member

Hi all!

Time goes closer to the season opening and some things go to the end. My stock front KYB shocks are sounding really bad and that way they tell me thay are blown. Hence, in addition to the above mentioned things I should consider some swap for that part.

As of now I've virtually closed the issue with brakes (Girodisc 2-piece F/R slotted rotors are paid and on their way, Techna-Fit SS lines are in the trunk, RB ET700 pads are pre-ordered), bushings are semi-done (PSRS and WL Steering Precision Kit and WL Front Control Arm bushing kit are in the trunk, other WL bushings (I've decided to go for that over ES kit) are pre-ordered) and I'm pretty sure regarding the tires (will stick with 2nd set of Direzza Z1 Star-specs in 235/45/17). Not enough money for new rims - hence stock Enkei and, consequently, stock tire size.

Now the issue is - due to the semi-absence of the stock KYB shocks as of now I consider where to go in this respect. After reading a lot here and there I've came to the following conclusions:

1) there is no idea to go for coilovers lower than custom KW (more than $1,800 in terms of budget) if you want to get smooth ride over bumpy roads and ability to track the car from time to time
2) if there's a need to change the suspension and you're on the budget best bet is Bilstein HD shocks, GTWORX or Swift springs and swaybars

Out of that I have few questions:

1) do I need to change the swaybars to get good results (I mean is it worth it if the budget is limited)?
2) do I need to change the swaybars end-links and stout mount?
3) what springs are the most recommended in terms of both performance and DD comfort if I care about not lowering the car too much?

Any meaningful suggestions and comments are highly appreciated.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

If you don't care about lowering the car too much, I think our springs are the answer. It's a mild 20mm drop front and 15mm rear....Swifts are 35mm front. We maintain as much suspension travel and the best suspension geometry as possible while increasing the rates beyond the Swifts.

More travel to soak up bumps, better suspension geometry, and slightly firmer spring rates.

Swaybars are not needed, but they do make a large improvement.

Endlinks and stout mounts are not needed for your application.

- Andrew
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
If you don't care about lowering the car too much, I think our springs are the answer. It's a mild 20mm drop front and 15mm rear....Swifts are 35mm front. We maintain as much suspension travel and the best suspension geometry as possible while increasing the rates beyond the Swifts.

More travel to soak up bumps, better suspension geometry, and slightly firmer spring rates.

Swaybars are not needed, but they do make a large improvement.

Endlinks and stout mounts are not needed for your application.

- Andrew

What springs are you talking about and are they beyond the swift spec r spring rates?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:39 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The title says light suspension modifications - lol.

The setup looks very nice, I have a few Whiteline parts on my car. A lot more feedback that's for sure !

A full set of coilovers are worth the extra money IMO. That car will handle very nicely!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:45 AM
vd
Evolving Member

I like that not too low approach very much. Roads and parkings here in Ukraine are sometimes demanding in terms of clearance and due to this fact I'd highly prefer to have 125mm under the car, than 110mm.

The situation with springs, swaybars, end-links and stout mounts is clear now.

Andrew, could you please also confirm the Bilsteins HD are rebuildable shocks (I've seen it somewhere in SmikeEvo's comparisons (great read, btw )?

Do I need to provide any additional information regarding the use of the car and expectation for the shocks/springs combo to be pre-set in some specific way or it is ordered as is without need/possibility to make any changes?

Thanks for all the inputs.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mr. happy
What springs are you talking about and are they beyond the swift spec r spring rates?
We make our own GTWORX springs. The rates are in between Swift Sports and Swift Spec R's and as linear as possible.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hlins-ast.html

Bilstein HDs are rebuildable all over the world.

- Andrew
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by vd
(will stick with 2nd set of Direzza Z1 Star-specs in 235/45/17)
Is there any particular reason that you're choosing 235/45/17 over 245/40/17? You'd still be fine on stock rims...

Quick Reply: light suspension modifications for EDM EvoIX - thoughts?