Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

CL Brakes RC6 review....... best track pads ever!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL Brakes RC6 review....... best track pads ever!

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to let everyone know about an amazing brake pad that I was able to demo. At the end of last year I was asked to use a set of these CL Brakes RC6 track pads. It was the end of my year, and with only the NASA nationals left i figured I would have a solid 5 days to really through the world at these pads...

before I get into specifics, these pad are honestly the best pads i have ever used! And from now on the only brake pad that will be run in my car.

Ok so once again the pads are CL Brakes, more info can be found on this link..

CL Brakes

Ok so the pads were just mounted and its time to give some feed back! First off The initial bite is amazing. its not to harsh, but at the same time you do not find your self giving the brake pedal more pressure because you dont think they are going to stop you. I found that the bite was just about perfect as it made for less pedal pressure and easier brake pedal modulation. Next thing I really noticed was the release, i have ran some pads where the release was just to harsh and made for some un stable corner entry! I felt that the release of these pads is just perfectly matched with its pedal bite. making for some consistent and confident lines.

One of the huge differences I found and which will really apply to the guys at the track, and that was the fact that these pads seem to last forever. I ran the car hard for 5 days and noticed that was virtually no wear on the pads. Even after I returned home to the midwest I ran the car at a few more local events and track days and realized the wearing on these was so minimal. The funny thing is, even with the pads lasting for what seemed ever, my brand new girodisc rotors came out of the last few track weekends almost brand new! Its hard to believe, but with the pads being as capable you would figure that the pads would destroy the rotors.

And the last major selling point of these pads....... They do not boil over at all! My last track outing was blackhawk farms, which is know for destroying brakes.

All and all these pads are amazing, and like I posted earlier in this thread, I will run nothing but in the CL brakes RC6 pads next year. please feel free to PM me or ask questions on here and i will get back to everyone as soon as i can!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. Do you do any data logging on your braking system/G Loads?

These for the stock brembo calipers?

Thanks, look forward to checking these out in the near future
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fixed Link
CL Brakes RC6
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

How is the dusting and noise? These are made for stock evo brembo calipers right?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ don't know how you found them for tha price, but i searched through there system and this is what i got

http://www.essexparts.com/shop/brake...e-pads-65.html

Essex Brake Pad Search for evo

http://www.essexparts.com/catalogsea...ound[]=48&

Last edited by willitas34; Feb 27, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

That's interesting, thanks for the feedback. I've read about these CL sintered brake pads, and I may try them out.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

I found additional feedback on the Vette forums

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...rake-pads.html

Hi Guys,
I was planning to make some announcements on this pad line very soon. Late last year we did a brief stint of sponsorship on this forum to test the waters, and we'll be resuming long-term sponsorship in the next couple of weeks. I'm working on a package with the forum owner now.

We've been working with CL Brakes over the last year or so in professional racing. We've run CL on many different race cars...asphalt, dirt, sports cars...up to and including the RC8 compound on NASCAR Sprint Cup CoT. We've had extremely positive results and feedback on their various compounds. They've also been used for some time in diverse racing environments in Europe, including Sebastien Loeb's car in WRC.

On the aftermarket side, I've had the CL compounds on roughly two dozen road/track cars over the past year...vettes, 911's, elise, evo, sti, viper, M3, S2000, mustangs, etc. I've run them extensively on my own C5 Z06. I wanted to make sure we had plenty of miles under all conditions on these pads before going public with them. CL has been running these compounds in Europe for some time, but I wanted to make sure they are appropriate and suited to the North American market. We've done some development work with them on some new compounds as well.
One more note...at Carbone Lorraine's request, we will be marketing their pads under the CL Brakes name. We didn't go into this too much, but I believe this decision was simply made for simplicity of pronunciation in the English language.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by willitas34
^^^ don't know how you found them for tha price, but i searched through there system and this is what i got

http://www.essexparts.com/shop/brake...e-pads-65.html

Essex Brake Pad Search for evo

http://www.essexparts.com/catalogsea...ound[]=48&
Hey sorry I had multiple windows open when i made the link i musthave used the wrong one.....

Sorry I have no data logs

The noise is very minimal, and the dust is un common... it really did not seem to dust all that much. But the dust they did produce seemed to clean off with ease. i ran hwaks for a while, I remember if I did'nt clean the entire car off after a track event the brake dust would need to re removed by claybar.

i have some incar video running these pads at Miller, I just need to find some time from working on my evo to load it to youtube!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

oh..... I almost forgot, yes these are for stock evo 8/9 brakes!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

hamflex - what other pads have you ran?

I'd like to have an idea of what you're comparing these to. I've run a few different pads; some good and some bad so I've got a good idea of what I like and what I don't. I've never even heard of these!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure exactly what pads Ryan has used but I remember him bringing his car to my detail shop after running DTC-70/60 in the front/rear. That was a huge mess!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

I have ran, hawk blues, ht10, dtc 60, dtc 70, PF01, pagid rs14, pagid rs15, and some project MU track pad a long time ago! Haha....

All have there high points, but the CL Brakes RC6 are great in every aspect.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by hamflex
I have ran, hawk blues, ht10, dtc 60, dtc 70, PF01, pagid rs14, pagid rs15, and some project MU track pad a long time ago! Haha....

try the Endless racing pads once . Its not a comparison comment , just an idea.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dan @ GTWORX is running these this season for his new NASA STI build.....he's pretty pumped. I think we'll be carrying them as well.

-Andrew
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hamflex

I’ve been looking for different pad options. Until my last track event and when the car was almost stock, Pagid yellow’s (RS29) worked great for me. However, I fried my last set in less than 4 track days; provided this time I was on R-comps bolt-on’s/tune, and I was carrying on the back straight 10 mph more than before.

Last edited by 18bora; May 15, 2010 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: CL Brakes RC6 review....... best track pads ever!