Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Anyone Successfully Tune Rally-Style Antilag?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Thanks for the info! I talked with AEM's tech support and they told me the same thing. I called a couple tuners and they told me they didn't have any experience with it. I'm sure they could probably figure it out without too much trouble.

Have you used it on the EMS before?

EVOlutionary
Yes I have...both kinds.

Originally Posted by blonde
a true anti lag system is NOT recommand for street or even track use and i wouldn't even think about it unless you have VERY deep pockets. i talked to a subaru tuner that does rally cars about it and has one on his own car and he said that unless you race and have sponsers don't even bother. the amount of stress the system puts on the turbo and the drivetrain is just insane and requires a build up very often. for example, rally cars use it but they also have a fresh engine installed after each race. if you want more info about it, you can contact vermont sports car which builds alot of rally cars and they have experience with the anti lag system

http://www.vtcar.com/carprep.htm
While it is abusive that's simply not necessary. For instance, the Great Northern Motorsports ProRally Subaru runs a very aggressive antilag setup and runs a full season on an engine and turbo. Both are totally stock.

-Mike
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Crufty Dusty
Hi John, appreciate the civil response... my understanding is that when the throttle body is closed the IAC varies the amount of air going into the intake plenum allowing just enough air for the car to idle... but not enough for rally-style antilag.
It also depends on which IAC you use. Most stock IAC's dont seem to be up to snuff. On mine, Dave used a Falcon XR8 IAC that he really likes. Worked okay IMHO.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:53 AM

Hi guys. I was just looking at the new AEM series 2 tuning software. I'm specialy interested in rally style ALS and was wandering if it's possible to set up a rally style antilag on the series 2. And it seems like one table is missing that would let us set up a true rally antilag. I think if there would be a "Alt OFF above TPS" setting, it would be possible to do because we could retard the ignition just in a certain TPS range lets say 10-20%. And use a Throttle kicker to keept the throttle open at 15% when you let of the gas pedal. From what I see it's not possible now because there's no way to switch the Alt off above certain TPS. Attaching a picture of theoretical setup for rally styl antilag (Alt OFF above TPS missing :-( )
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Successfully Tune Rally-Style Antilag?-antilag-aem-series-2.jpg  

Last edited by evodziobak; Feb 20, 2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:45 AM
Evolving Member

i would like to have that for my track tune becaus i will be running different tune on the street so i wouldnt have to worry abt stressing to much any solutions?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:17 PM

dziobak: this is an evo8 aem ems? diffeent than the mivec version? have you asked eam about this directly?

pk
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodziobak
Hi guys. I was just looking at the new AEM series 2 tuning software. I'm specialy interested in rally style ALS and was wandering if it's possible to set up a rally style antilag on the series 2. And it seems like one table is missing that would let us set up a true rally antilag. I think if there would be a "Alt OFF above TPS" setting, it would be possible to do because we could retard the ignition just in a certain TPS range lets say 10-20%. And use a Throttle kicker to keept the throttle open at 15% when you let of the gas pedal. From what I see it's not possible now because there's no way to switch the Alt off above certain TPS. Attaching a picture of theoretical setup for rally styl antilag (Alt OFF above TPS missing :-( )
I haven't played around with the new AEM, but the old version didn't allow for enough negative timing for it to work properly. I ended up getting a MoTeC and hope to get the antilag stuff setup on it in the next couple of weeks. We are adding a throttle kicker to jack open the throttle, which I never tried on the AEM.

Dave
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:39 AM

rovanpera: Yes I think it's a different version of the EMS. From what I know evo 9 have 3 plug ECUs. My evo 8 is 4 plug.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:45 AM

DaveK: I never had the chance to get my hands on the AEM. I ended up geting the Vipec ECU. The Vipec has more advanced Motorsport functions like ALS. Works great for me with the throttle kicker. One thing you will have to be prepared for with the throttle kicker is that your gas pedal will go down by the amount you set to open the throttle with the throttle kicker. That's obvious but takes some time to get used to while driving.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Enjoyed this thread tremendously... Small talk IS required to be left at the door.

Contemplating pros and cons on this 'bang-bang' theory... i'd only do it for the decibels and flames though.

Already love noticeable 'bang' and little fireball i've got working for me, but these damn youtube antilag vids got me adrenalined up.

Last edited by houdini_678; Aug 17, 2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Some more info and evo related Anti lag system info here:

http://brewed-motorsports.blogspot.c...m-aka-als.html
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Evo- lil birdy tells me you might be in the market for an AIM MXL, truth?!?

Scorke
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Rally style Antilag on my 4g63 Galant VR4 running Throttle bypass rally Anti Lag

Last edited by tunermt; Jun 18, 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Secondary air injection anti lag system shake down and testing.

Old Feb 14, 2016, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Playing around with a milder Anti Lag tune for the snow and ice we get to play on throughout the winter.

Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Update: 2jz running a combination of the Brewed Motors SAI and TBP antilag.
Depending which series AEM ecu is being used will greatly effect the way you set up/tune an ALS. The new Infinity boxes offer some very nice options, nothing specifically labeled "rally style antilag" but you can create new maps/configure outputs/inputs to do what is needed.

Quick Reply: Anyone Successfully Tune Rally-Style Antilag?