Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM Infinity Flex fuel tuning with Full Race EFR turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
AEM Infinity Flex fuel tuning with Full Race EFR turbo kit

So this may not be an evo but as the Aem Infinity ems gets more and more popular among the 4g63 crowd I figured i would share some details from one of the Flex Fuel Infinity cars I recently tuned. Using the Plug and Play harness for the 4g63/EVO 8 or EVO 9 will mean the set up and any extra sensor wiring is essentially exactly the same as it was for this s2k.
This Full-Race 7064 internal waste gate EFR S2000 was tuned on the Infinity with full flex fuel support. For the full article check out the blog for with tips and tricks including closed loop individual cylinder knock control. AEM Infinity tuning explained with Full-Race efr turbo kit.

Another E85 tuning article this time for a high compression stroked s2000 running an AEM series 2 ecu and making the switch from pump gas to E85. https://www.brewedmotorsports.com/s2000-infinity-ems-setup-tuning-with-flex-fuel/

Parts list for this AP1 Honda S2000 462 Horse Power at the flywheel (max HP with only 15psi do to internal WG):
Stage 3 long block (stock sleeves, forged pistons/rods ACL bearings)
Full-Race EFR turbo kit with 7064 efr twin scroll internal waste gate (external gate is always recommended for F series engines)
Injector Dynamics 1300cc Injectors
AEM E85/Ethanol Fuel pump
AEM Fuel pressure regulator
AEM Infinity 6 ems & AEM s2000 plug and play harness with: oil, fuel pressure/temp sensors, AEM boost solenoid, o2 sensor
Flex Fuel (safely run any blend of gasoline and Ethanol or E85)
AEM CANbus gauges (displays ALL engine sensors with Peak/memory functions)
3” turbo back exhaust
255/35/18 rear tire 225/40/18 front tire

Wiring in the extra pressure/temp sensors to the supplied 12 pin DTM acc. harness connector is easy and makes for a clean install. Adding a fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, flex fuel sensor and wide band o2 allow the Infinity ems and tuner to closely monitor and tune fail safe options for oil pressure, fuel pressure and lean protection. These fail safe options can easily save an engine during a mechanical failure such as a bad fuel pump or oil pump. Alternatively you do not “need” to install any of these extra sensors if you don’t want. You can run the engine on the Infinity with all stock Mitsubishi sensors however I would highly recommend at least using a 4.2lsu wide band o2 sensor.

As with any turbo engine using a nice header the engine bay can get VERY hot. Things like wiring harnesses and vacuum lines that are anywhere near the exhaust parts should always be wrapped in Fire Sleeve. At this point the best value fire sleeve i've found has to be the "Velocity Element fire sleeve" which is also a nice stealthy black.

After the pump gas/gasoline tuning was completed I moved onto the Ethanol aka E85 and flex fuel blends. A few pulls later and the E85 portion of the tuning was completed resulting in 462hp at the flywheel, boost was set to 18psi but do to the internal waste gate would taper to 15psi by 7700rpm. *The internal waste gate is a big restriction here; I always highly recommend external waste gates like the Tial MVR 44mm whenever possible. This same turbo kit with an external waste gates will make well over 500hp at the same boost levels and provide much better boost control. After dialing in the E85 or 85% ethanol content fuel I started slowly blending in gasoline to reach different ethanol content to refine the “flex fuel” portion of the tune even further. The trick for tuning flex fuel is to first tune pure gasoline and then the highest % of ethanol you plan to run. From here you slowly blend the fuels and tune the “blend maps” accordingly, I also like to use a second VE map for further resolution when setting up flex fuel calibrations. While blending the ethanol fuels I will normally move in ~10% increments IE: after tuning for E85 I will add gasoline until I have E75 then log/tune followed by more gasoline to get to E65 and repeat until you are back to pure gasoline. This is normally a very time consuming processes but goes much faster when starting with a custom Flex Fuel base map thanks to the already tuned/tested tables. Only a fully tuned and tested “flex fuel” calibration will safely deliver all the power available based on ethanol content. The Infinity truly offers a high resolution tuning solution for flex fuel unlike many so called “flex fuel” compatible ecu’s that only offer a VERY limited amount of true flex fuel tuning/adjustments.

Little video to help explain how to take data logs for all you Etune guys out there!

efr turbo s2000 on AEM infinity flex fuel tune

Last edited by tunermt; Apr 5, 2022 at 05:19 AM. Reason: broken link
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

how many others are using the internal waste gate EFR's? While it does make for a nice quite/simple package the extra power i see from the same turbos with external waste gates makes me lean heavily toward just always using external gates.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Running a twinscroll EFR 9174 setup on my evo, waiting for install to be finished and get 4 tunes finished but should be fun. Issue with the EFR turbos is that you have to make sure you don't overrev the turbo and blow up the shaft which has happened to black E with his 9180 setup. BW does have the shaft speed sensor that you can plug in to the AEM/HALTECH/MOTEC ecu's
Old Apr 24, 2017, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by illusin
Running a twinscroll EFR 9174 setup on my evo, waiting for install to be finished and get 4 tunes finished but should be fun. Issue with the EFR turbos is that you have to make sure you don't overrev the turbo and blow up the shaft which has happened to black E with his 9180 setup. BW does have the shaft speed sensor that you can plug in to the AEM/HALTECH/MOTEC ecu's
This means the NEW EFRs do surge or it is just one of those rare cases out there ?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 09:09 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mines5
This means the NEW EFRs do surge or it is just one of those rare cases out there ?
think he had a Issue with piping collapsing causing it, afaik car had no issues after fixing that
Old Jul 15, 2017, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

only time i've had any surging was on a twin EFR set up with less than ideal hard IC pipes (not even really surge haha we joke its "chugging" surging back and forth between the turbos as you transition into boost. (gives a funny chuga chuga sound at just the right RPM/load transition point.)
Old Sep 15, 2017, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The infinity is better that the V2
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:44 AM
Account Disabled

thats up in the air

Thats debatable it really depends on the tuner. Alot of people are more comfortable working with the V2 then infinity because they are not familiar with them. Both have simular functions
Old Sep 18, 2017, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thats debatable it really depends on the tuner. Alot of people are more comfortable working with the V2 then infinity because they are not familiar with them. Both have simular functions
the infinity does offer some features and adaptable out puts that can be set up to control accessories and fine tune the engine much better than the series 2.
not to say series 2 ecu is bad just not quite on par with the infinity 5 and 7 series boxes. Ive worked with both boxes extensively and if given the choose would always go infinity over series 2. (With that said I have 2 personal cars still on series 2 from almost 10 years back now and another on infinity.)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 05:52 AM
Account Disabled

I agree

i agree, but personally would not spend the money to replace my v2's with a infinity at this point.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

i agree, but personally would not spend the money to replace my v2's with a infinity at this point.
ya it hard to justify a new ECU if you already have one that is doing what you need
Old Sep 23, 2017, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thus why I'm still on a V1! Haha
Old Sep 26, 2017, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M4Lki3r
Thus why I'm still on a V1! Haha
nice i haven't had to tune a series 1 AEM in a long long time now haha
Old Feb 5, 2018, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

Another AEM tuning article this time for a high compression stroked S2000 making the change from pump gas to E85.
E85 Etune s2000 Aem ecu

Last edited by tunermt; Apr 5, 2022 at 05:13 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Just got a photo and update from this turbo S2000 owner, still driving her regularly without a worry or problem love to see people getting to enjoy their cars/projects!

Quick Reply: AEM Infinity Flex fuel tuning with Full Race EFR turbo kit