Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM V1.0 Cold Start Issues HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM V1.0 Cold Start Issues HELP!

Recently bought a very clean and well built 2005 Evo but it has very, very long cold start times! It takes about 3 cranks of 5-8 seconds each until I get any kind of fire. Then from about 4-6 cranks it progressively stumbles and then starts. Once it starts it dies and then does that for few tries util it stays running. This car is in immaculate condition with zero mechanical issues. Only about 10K miles on a fully build 2.3L, BR JE spec pistons, manley rods and crank, 280's, double pumper (stock lines), BR fuel rail with FIC 2000's, AMS intake, boomba TB. Car is currently tuned at 38 psi and cranking out 680 HP. Very solid car but I hate how long it takes to crank! Below is a screenshot of the START tables. Any help would be awesome and thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails AEM V1.0 Cold Start Issues HELP!-aem_start.jpg   AEM V1.0 Cold Start Issues HELP!-img_8250.jpg   AEM V1.0 Cold Start Issues HELP!-evoengine11152017.jpg  
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrus Steele
Recently bought a very clean and well built 2005 Evo but it has very, very long cold start times! It takes about 3 cranks of 5-8 seconds each until I get any kind of fire. Then from about 4-6 cranks it progressively stumbles and then starts. Once it starts it dies and then does that for few tries util it stays running. This car is in immaculate condition with zero mechanical issues. Only about 10K miles on a fully build 2.3L, BR JE spec pistons, manley rods and crank, 280's, double pumper (stock lines), BR fuel rail with FIC 2000's, AMS intake, boomba TB. Car is currently tuned at 38 psi and cranking out 680 HP. Very solid car but I hate how long it takes to crank! Below is a screenshot of the START tables. Any help would be awesome and thank you in advance!
When you say cold, what are the coolant temps?
Is this on 93 octane or E85?
Under the main Engine Start tab, what does your Crank Injector Time table look like?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temps probably around 40 degrees.

E85
Old Nov 16, 2017, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrus Steele
Temps probably around 40 degrees.

E85
Despite the 2000cc injectors, your Crank Injector Time table and Initial Crank Pulse table values are pretty low for E85. Assuming everything else is on point with the calibration, those are the two tables you will want to focus on. When trying to get an Evo to start without excessive cranking cold or hot, I typically find the Initial Crank Pulse table to have more of an affect. I would start raising the values that correspond to your cold start coolant temp in 5-10% increments until you start to notice a difference. An indication that these values are too high is needing to hold the throttle open during cranking, which introduces more air into the engine as it cranks over. If at some point the start ups are no longer showing signs of improvement, start increasing the Crank Injector Time table in small amounts. That's just how I would go about it. If you want, increase the values in one table by 25% and see if things improve. If not, revert those changes and increase the values in the other table by 25%.

Cold starts are probably one of the most time consuming aspects to tune due to the repeated trial and error and only having a couple shots at it each time. Another thing to keep in mind is that the series 1 AEM EMS is going to have a long cranking time irregardless of the tune, if you haven't upgraded to a 12-tooth crank trigger disc.

You can also read through this thread HERE, if you haven't already. It may help you out.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
if it starts ok otherwise when warm, i would recommend to just mess with the initial crank pulse table.

so save your current file, name it something else & do the following

-40/86f = 28160
122f = 11,520

interpolate between 86 / 122
interpolate between 122 / 158 of your current value.

i run your current value for gasoline.

for my ride, i run even larger values in the 40f & colder areas on e85 with either fic 2150 or current pte 1200 inj.

GL & report back.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Not to hijack, but aby, would you mind sharing your e85 start tables for the 2150s? Id be wiling to paypal your for them. Thanks!