Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

tunah's '05 MR Documentary/Project Log/Budget AutoX Build

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tunah's '05 MR Documentary/Project Log/Autocross Build

<skip straight to post #3 to see where it sits as of Jan 2014>

Hello EvoM. This thread will be to document where Ive been over the last several years and where Im going. I'll try to organize this 1st post so its in a timeline pic/story fashion. Probably not as exciting to see as most of what is on here, but Im sifting through lots of pictures and wanting to put it all together to document it all.

Id love to hear any suggestions or comments.

History
I purchased my '05 MR w/ about 45k miles on it in the spring of 2007 when I lived in Idaho. Its my 1st awd car. 1st turbo car. And ultimately my 1st venture into ECU tuning. If I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldve walked and found a IX. But it is what it is and I dont regret a bit of it. Ive had previous experience with wrenching on several lightly modified fox body mustangs and a couple jeeps, but never anything with boost or even remotely capable of turning fast. As Im sure most here can relate to, I immediately fell in love with it. It certainly started off in better shape body-wise and with normal wear and tear. And to be perfectly honest, its probably not much faster now than it was back then. I took it to the drag strip and autocrossed it a few times over the couple years I had before leaving ID. But never really anything serious. Mostly just taking trips into the mountains and daily driving it.

May 2007
1st weekend after I got it at Galena Summit in ID.

Car was mostly stock.
- 3" DP, resonated test pipe, magnaflow vband cat back
- unknown o2 housing, ebay ex manifold
- cone filter with a sweet bag on it
- homemade boost controller @ 25-26ish psi , not so sweet Jestr tune
- XSPower FMIC
- unknown LICP

Couple things that were done during the 1st couple years.

Planned to do some autocross with it, so it got some new rotors, set of Hawk pads and some goodridge SS lines.

June 2007
Went autocrossing for my 1st time

Installed some gauges

I had already replaced the Home Depot boost controller with a cheap MBC and turned it down. But I got a good deal on this Greddy Profec B and got creative.

unfortunately this has been uninstalled for years, Ive yet to replace the ashtray pieces.

Clutch went out at about 55k. Installed an ACT HDSS and Gruppe-S light flywheel.

Went drag racing

so sad....

Disclaimer:I wish I had slips from later in the year, as the car had been a best of 13.0 @ 107 that year w/ 1.7 60'.

Last edited by charlie.tunah; Feb 11, 2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

May 2008
Brought it to Maine

Blacked out heads and tails and got an ETS air intake

August 2008
Yearly 3-day road trip outing with the local car club evo-imports. The IX is ak47po on here.

May 2009
Threw some "sweet" hotchkis springs on it

The POS intercooler/LICP never fit right. Yes there may have been a beer or three had before cutting the front bumper.

July 2010
Threw a Spoolinup COP on it

Had an awesome time with a softball sized rock @ 50 mph

Bought a used VIII front bumper to replace my hack job. (VIII > IX as far as front bumpers go )

Replaced my busted hood with a CF hood and trunk (Im still on the lookout for an affordable OEM hood....)

put some aerocatch latches in

Jan 2011
Im going to miss this thing in the snow. This will be my 1st winter without it since I bought it. Im currently DDing a EG Hatch on studs w/ 1/2 stock suspension.....FML lol

May 2011
Bought a used short aluminum route UICP w/ a TiAL flange and intake pipe in preparation of going SD. Proceeded to sand/polish it up.

Battery relocated to trunk

UICP installed

Then THIS happened

Purchased some Bilstein HDs and Swift Spec R springs. No pics of install.

Jan 2012
Heater core went out. What a PITA.

Went back in without the firewall padding or AC Evap. I also removed the compressor and condensor at this time.

AEM UEGO got installed in the clock location at the same time

June 2012
Got a Tanabe Ultra Medallion cat back from a local forum member/friend ak47po.

I had also purchased a "good" ACD pump to cure the 3 lights. (it never worked properly, I rebuilt it in 2013) I was so stoked when I finally figured out how to properly bleed the ACD I took this pic of the bleed setup. Now the momentary toggle switch has been extended to where I can hold it while operating bleed screw.

Went autocrossing!

Replaced some bushings in the rear

June 2013
Had a JDM rear and the OEM VIII front bumper in the basement for a while, decided Id toss them on. Purchased some DEPO "JDM" tails to replace my DIY job. And spent some time PORing everything this side of the rear subframe.

Same with the front. Also purchased a OEM FMIC for weight/cost purposes to replace the heavy POS XSPower that was on it.

125k mi of DDing + black front bumper + white JDM rear + faded CF hood/trunk + 6 mo old son = 4 gal of pastidip and a weekend in the garage.

July 2013
Rear wiper came out

Went Autocrossing! I had been autocrossing my EG hatch the 1st half of the season because I didnt want to kill the trans/clutch in the Evo before I had a chance to R&R, but I said F it and finished the season in the Evo. I rebuilt the ACD pump with an ACD-tuning kit and bought some ZIIs. It was wet and nasty, but so much fun.

August 2013
Replaced the heavy Diehard Platinum with a 7lb AC Delco Powersport battery

Went Autocrossing! Except this time the biggest venue Ive ever seen. Retired Loring Air Force Base in Limestone, Maine (by the Canada border). HUGE cant even begin to describe it. 2 day event.

Sept 2013
Went Autocrossing!

Oct 2013
Went Autocrossing! Season finale @ Brunswick Naval Airforce Base. This was our 2nd time there this year. 1st time was in the Honda. MUCH more fun in the Evo! lol

Then I pretty much put it up for winter and *gasp* listed it for sale. Ive since decided that even if it sat in the garage not doing a thing to it, it was worth keeping as it was obvious that it is difficult to get rid of in the current condition for anything close to what I think it is worth.

If youre still reading, Im assuming I didnt bore you to death.

Last edited by charlie.tunah; Jan 11, 2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Current Mod List
Engine
- Short Route Aluminum UICP
- TiAL BOV
- SD Conversion
- Unknown POS LICP
- 3" DP, HFC, thin wall SS/Ti Tanabe catback, o2 housing
- Walbro 255
- ~24psi (approx. 310-320whp in VD)

Drivetrain
- ACT HDSS & light flywheel (on its way out)
- Rear diff bushings

Suspension/Tires/Brakes
- Bilstein HDs w/ Swift Spec R "MR" springs
- Noltec Camber Plates (-3F/-1.5R, 0 toe)
- Rear LCA bushings
- 245/45/17 Dunlop ZIIs
- Tired Hawk HPS pads/Stoptech Rotors
- Goodridge SS Lines

Body/Interior
- CF Hood & Trunk, JDM Rear (w/ crash beam)
- AC Delete
- Evap/EGR Delete
- Rear speakers, belts, seat (removed for events)
- Corbeau Forza Sport driver's seat, custom rails, 5 pt harness to rear seat belt holes

The Big Plan
The short term plan is to slowly address what needs to happen to keep it strong and competitive at local autocross events for now. Ultimately the plan is to be very competitive locally and be able to make it worth my while to go down to NER and play with the big boys some times. There are several local guys that go down and I can be competitive with them at the bigger lots as I currently stand. Im currently running street tires. Last year we had RT classes that you brought your home class PAX into. I was RTA/SM. Who knows what we are doing this year with the SCCA changes. I plan to run street tires for one more year, then make the leap to R comps next year before or after coilovers. Im not planning to do much to the motor unless she pops, at least not for a year or so. But when I do, the plan is either 2.3 or 2.4 and a quick spooling turbo.

Last year I purchased a "less than 100 miles on a ShepTrans rebuild" 5 spd from a vendor on here along with everything I need to install it from them and a couple others. Also an Exedy Twin Disc HD, MAP clutch fork stop and OEM TOB. I also plan to make a few upgrades to the front suspension while Im in there.

The Short Term Plan
- swap 5 spd, install clutch
- Tanabe front sway bar, cusco brackets, DIY endlinks
- Perrin PSRS
- Whiteline RCK
- Hotchkis rear sway bar, DIY endlinks
- install the rest of the Energy Suspension Bushing kit that I have
- Remove the rest of the "Its SM legal because RS's dont have it" sound deadening
- diagnose what I think is laggy spool (tune?, WG?, turbo?)
- and last but certainly not least...tune the nut behind the wheel.

Last edited by charlie.tunah; Jan 11, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Nice auto-x build. Good job on the polishing of the pipes! What method did you use to polish them?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 01:49 AM
Evolved Member

thanks. I just wet sanded with varying grits of sand paper, then hit it with some regular car polish and my orbital before finishing it off with some nevrdull and a bunch of elbow grease. They are hard to keep clean.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

awesome build.... was shocked with the equation and then everything equals PLASTI DIP... AWESOME...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:41 PM

Happen to know the size of plug you used to delete the rear wiper?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cmcelroy09
Happen to know the size of plug you used to delete the rear wiper?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...iper-plug.html
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Single digit garage temps and no good indoor heating solution out there have kept progress to a minimum. She's on jack stands, the front end is taken apart and that's about it.

Placed the majority of my order(s). Made a couple additions, as Im sure we all do.

Got the tanabe & hotchkis sways, psrs, rck and cusco brackets.

Found an ACT monoloc. Bought it.

Last year I noticed it had fairly bad boost creep trying to run WG pressure. No wonder it always easily held boost up top on my old MBC and really doesn't take a whole lot of WGDC on the ebc to hold it like Ive seen others.... It would go from ~13 up to about 4.5k, then taper up to ~20ish at redline. No clue what O2 housing it is and Ive never taken it off the hotside, but its getting replaced with a coated MAP Rev 2.

Goodridge SS clutch line/stock metal line is getting replaced with a STM 1 piece.

Need to inspect the driveshaft, so Im replacing the mount bushings during install with solid ones.

Figure I could use some new fillings, so I got a TQ solutions 4 pc mount kit.

Got some BR solid 5spd shifter cable bushings (had them on the 6spd cables, loved them). Replacing Kartboy poly base bushings with BR solids. And installing a Works short shifter.

Im on the hunt for a set of Perrin Stout Mounts. And I still need to order the parts for the DIY endlinks.

One of these days I'll prioritize heat in the garage over parts. But I figure Ive got about 6 weeks to get it all together and clutch broken in before the 1st local event. So there's PLENTY of time.

Last edited by charlie.tunah; Feb 10, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
nice, 6 weeks crappppppp. I haven't even bought tires yet and not to mention done my clutch! gonna be short season for me.

Did you get your SD kinks all worked out? Kept it in open loop or did you eventually redo that to closed loop?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

Its running closed loop. Needs to be touched up a little. Mainly in the transitions. Closed loop is probably hiding most of the issues, but last I checked LTFTs weren't too bad and I really haven't thought much of it.

I'll have to do a quick re tune this year anyways for the o2 housing. And since I'll have to break in the twin disc, I'll have an opportunity to focus on tuning the non-wot areas for a little while.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

So after this past weekend's flurry of impulse buys, I ought to get a mod to remove the word "budget" from the thread title.

Looking forward to some new bling, a little weight reduction and a few more ponies if Im lucky. Im NOT a bling guy...typically, but I guess when its functional it hits a soft spot. Details and pics once things start coming in.

Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Do tell ..
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In for updates... And to see what new tricks you got up your sleeve!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Im tidying up my gauge setup with a 42 draft designs pod and some vdo gauges. Got water temp + STMs t-stat housing, oil pressure and oil temp. And Im planning to put my MR boost gauge in the "lancer" spot (where my MR voltmeter currently resides) and then move the voltmeter to the cig lighter location. Cig lighter will be getting moved to the center console. Probably wont do much of this until its on the road.

I purchased a FP cast mani

And some titanium.

Quick Reply: tunah's '05 MR Documentary/Project Log/Budget AutoX Build