EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Asian Forum (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/asian-forum-48/)
-   -   Anyone else actually in Korea? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/asian-forum/186847-anyone-else-actually-korea.html)

mump Feb 27, 2006 02:52 PM

Anyone else actually in Korea?

I know of one other evo owner in Korea? Anyone on else? I only been here a little over a week, been out and about but haven't really noticed anything but stares and stuff. I call Sun Auto in Seoul to see what they have - which is nothing for us. I also asked about a dyno - again, nothing. Anyone?

evojacko Feb 28, 2006 01:54 AM

mump - there is an awd dyno in kangnam. the store is called peak. website peakpoint.co.kr. they are always working on high end cars. i was there the other day and saw 4 porshes a brand new us spec vw gti, and a ferrari. some guys have seen lambos and stuff there. dyno time is 200 bucks. its the only awd in korea from what i hear. when it warms up a little more alot of cars meet up at namsam tower. (seoul tower) and alot more drive the mountain (hill) road out at yumyong mountain just northeast of seoul. kind of a drive from osan though.
send a pm if you need my cell number for some more info on some of this stuff.

mazdryk Feb 28, 2006 02:14 AM

I am currently in Korea for another 10 months. Im in the Airforce stationed at Osan AFB. My evo is currently in California. IF you live close to OSan let me know I would give anything to get a passenger ride.

evojacko Feb 28, 2006 02:51 AM

im at yongsan. i only make it down to osan for a shopping trip every once in a while.

mump Feb 28, 2006 04:48 PM

mazdryk - I am at Osan, 303IS.

mump Mar 3, 2006 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by evojacko
im at yongsan. i only make it down to osan for a shopping trip every once in a while.

if you make it down here - i have an extra room; well, as soon as my household goods come.

iwtfyaz Mar 3, 2006 09:11 PM

hey was that your car parked at the main gate this afternoon? if it is it looks pretty bad ass. i only got one month left here in osan {thumbup}

evojacko Mar 3, 2006 09:14 PM

once it warms up you can swing by here and we can make a run up to namsan or to yanpyang. ive got an extra room also and namsan is just around the block.

mump Mar 3, 2006 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by iwtfyaz
hey was that your car parked at the main gate this afternoon? if it is it looks pretty bad ass. i only got one month left here in osan {thumbup}

if you referring to me, yes it is usually parked at the front gate - don't be afraid to wave me down for a ride, beats taking a taxi.

iwtfyaz Mar 3, 2006 11:50 PM

yea taxi sucks 3 bucks to 1448 {thumbdwn}. i never rode in an evo yet and im planning to get one once i get back to cali in a month :)

mump Mar 3, 2006 11:53 PM

yep, this is my 4th time here. my 1st tour i was in 1447.

if you want to check it out sometime, i can met up with you.

jkim2001 May 4, 2006 12:31 AM

hey mump, I don't know if I mentioned this but I saw your evo when I was in korea, I saw another one when i was at Yongsan to go shopping. How is your evo doing? i will be at ramstein so I wil get to go to the nurburgring!

mump May 4, 2006 02:33 AM

evo is doing great here. miles per gallon sitting in traffic sucks though, but the 98 octane is a beautiful thing.

PapitoEVO8 May 4, 2006 02:54 AM

Was there is 1979-1980 and 1984-1985. LOL US Army

mump May 4, 2006 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by PapitoEVO8
Was there is 1979-1980 and 1984-1985. LOL US Army

you just made me feel a lot younger. {thumbup}

evojacko May 4, 2006 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mump
evo is doing great here. miles per gallon sitting in traffic sucks though, but the 98 octane is a beautiful thing.

unfortunately if osan is the same as yongsan which im guessing its 98 octane r+m/2. which is about 93 octane.

btw i saw the pics you posted of your car a little while ago. looks real good.

mump May 4, 2006 05:58 PM

thnaks man. let me know when something is going on up there and i'll try to make the trip up.

jkim2001 May 7, 2006 01:03 PM

have you seen any other evos...wondering if you 've been able to get involved with the local street scene

evojacko May 8, 2006 02:51 AM

i know me and mump have ours. there is an evo 5 that is sometimes parked near yongsan electronics mart. ive got the guys phone number somewhere. there is also a race prepped evo nea k-16 at a gas station. hes also got two skylines there. ive seen a blue and white 8 rhd before but its been a while since ive seen them. the guy at yongsan e market said there are less than 20 on pen.

mump May 8, 2006 05:03 PM

i've seen a rx-7 on the track at everland about a month ago and a newer supra painted up like the fast and furious going through songtan. a guy i met invited out to a 1/4 mile, never got to go yet but he said there is an evo 6 that is always out there. he also will probably be buying my car as soon as its SOFA status runs out on it. he offered $35k for it.

jkim2001 May 9, 2006 01:51 AM

damn....35K??? Might as well score yourself an evo 9 with that money. Jacko, are you at yongsan? I saw a silver evo, looked stock that had bumper damage. Is that you?

3 more months until Ramstein and the Nurburgring. Can't wait...

evojacko May 9, 2006 06:01 AM

haha. yeah thats me. someone got me when they pulled into a parking spot next to me. or pulling out. but they drove off. one of these days ill get the scrapes fixed correctly. i just threw some touch up paint over the scratches because it was down to the black panel.
i ran into a navy guy at the yongsan gas station today. looks like there will be yet another silver evo in 2 months. guess silver is the color to have.

evojacko May 9, 2006 06:11 AM

mump- i dont have any word on this weekend yet. ill shoot the guy an email in the morning.

mifesto May 9, 2006 06:02 PM

wow didnt know there were evos running around in korea :)

jkim2001 May 10, 2006 01:01 AM

yes, but very very rare.

evojacko May 13, 2006 04:14 AM

went to a namsam this weekend. not too many cars up there. s14 rhd, bmw 5xx and z3, nsx and my evo. later in the night a few tuscanis rolled through and also a porsche. the guys up there said most of the guys had gone to the west coast to drag. none of the skylines showed up. we also got a few of the korean cars like matiz and accent. i laughed at first about the matiz but the guy driving it is a maniac. he can drive. the hyundai guys are doing the best with what they have. which isnt much. from what i hear they are old school and fabricating stuff themselves. so its cool seeing the cars out there. plus they are all very friendly and interested in cars.

jkim2001 May 13, 2006 11:21 PM

good to hear about the local scene. DId you guys meet at namsan towers? What did the locals say about your evo?

evojacko May 14, 2006 02:33 AM

yeah, we meet up right there near namsan library. theres a good sized parking lot up there. they liked the evo. but the nsx stole my thunder. lol.
today i saw a dark grey supra w/ vielside kit at yongsan e-mart. and an s14. also saw a bunch of tuned hyundais. dont know if i just started noticing it more or if the scene is korea is blowing up but there are somewhat tuned cars every where i look now.

joseph k Jun 22, 2006 07:37 PM

i will be here for 3 more days and i am pcsing back to GA, my three years are done. i am in 1st SIG

alby988 Jul 6, 2006 08:54 AM

is the track at everland 1/4 mile? haha wats the average time of the cars that go?

evojacko Jul 6, 2006 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by alby988
is the track at everland 1/4 mile? haha wats the average time of the cars that go?

no, its a circuit track. i havent heard of any drag strips. most of the guys i hear about drag out on the west coast near ocean city.

s0lja Jul 6, 2006 06:48 PM

Evos in korea.... that is awesome... only been to korea once in my life and i need to go back... my parents are there rite now....

mump Jul 6, 2006 07:58 PM

there is a 1/4 mile west of osan.... i pulled off a 12.4 there - where anything in the 14's are "super fast"

evojacko Jul 6, 2006 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by s0lja
Evos in korea.... that is awesome... only been to korea once in my life and i need to go back... my parents are there rite now....

an evo V guy i talked to, said there were only about 20 evos in country. most of them are V-VII.

evojacko Jul 6, 2006 10:08 PM

there is a 1/4 mile west of osan.... i pulled off a 12.4 there - where anything in the 14's are "super fast"

i might have to go there. with my lack of drag racing ability it may be my only chance to be one of the faster guys at a track. lol.

alby988 Jul 7, 2006 05:12 AM

haha im in korea for vacation right now! im at gwangju in gyung gi do. i miss my evo at home!

Sharkbite2000 Jul 7, 2006 05:17 AM

Hott ride thats all :)

evojacko Jul 7, 2006 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by alby988
haha im in korea for vacation right now! im at gwangju in gyung gi do. i miss my evo at home!

how long are you in korea for? the korean auto salon is july 13-17 at coex. a few of us might be planning a trip over there sometime. (dont have any real plans so im not sure if it will be a group of us or just a couple of us.) if you feel like tagging along you are more than welcome.

jkim2001 Jul 7, 2006 06:11 PM

very nice. Anyone run faster?

mump Jul 8, 2006 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by jkim2001
very nice. Anyone run faster?

no. not that i seen. there were a good amount of cars there - well, more than i expected. mostly older things from america, 2 non turbo supras and well, of course a butt load of hyundias. i took 6-7 passes and they were hooting and hollering it up esp. after the 1st run - the lone white guy in this foreign thing shocked the hell out of them. their jaw dropped when it launched off the line and ripped down the lane. pretty cool.

dee_yamaha Jul 8, 2006 09:47 PM

Wassupp mump..this is Hyrev....its been a while man...I'm putting in for Korea also n bringing the yellow beast there....hope to see u soon.

BTW what was the trap spd, 60 ft n is it at sea level.... might be a better track than SA...later man

matthesf Jul 8, 2006 10:04 PM

hey, im at osan, ive been here for about 3 weeks. email me at ikanc_u@yahoo.com,let me know whats up

mump Jul 9, 2006 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by dee_yamaha
Wassupp mump..this is Hyrev....its been a while man...I'm putting in for Korea also n bringing the yellow beast there....hope to see u soon.

BTW what was the trap spd, 60 ft n is it at sea level.... might be a better track than SA...later man

What's up man? Here some advice to you. Do not bring it here - it will be messed up. My car was hit the 1st month by a drunk parking next to me. If you come to Osan command sponsored you will live off base where the is no parking and no respect for other's stuff.
As far as trap speeds, I have no clue. Everything is metric, you don't get a slip or anything.

mump Jul 9, 2006 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by matthesf
hey, im at osan, ive been here for about 3 weeks. email me at ikanc_u@yahoo.com,let me know whats up

Where you at? I am at the 303rd - I am sure you will see my ride around the base - just stop me.

dee_yamaha Jul 9, 2006 07:19 PM

What's up man? Here some advice to you. Do not bring it here - it will be messed up. My car was hit the 1st month by a drunk parking next to me. If you come to Osan command sponsored you will live off base where the is no parking and no respect for other's stuff.
As far as trap speeds, I have no clue. Everything is metric, you don't get a slip or anything.

That sucks about the drunk drivers and If I go there unaccompanied I definetly will bring it n live in the dorms. If not I'll take the supra....

I just want to do a tour there so I dont have to do one when I have kids....

You should try the new G-tec (I dont know if its accurate) but at least you'll have an idea. Peace out man.

mump Jul 9, 2006 10:28 PM

If you are there unaccompanied, well you won't be bringing sh!t... unless you put on a lot of rank since I last saw you. Only E-7 and higher are allowed.

dee_yamaha Jul 10, 2006 05:19 PM

Then I'll take the wife with me hehehe. I made tech n I can study hard to make ^....until then the evo is aight....I need time to add more go fast parts anyway.....so when I get there I dont have to worry about it. Then again winter is harsh there so that means a garage is a must.

If you are there unaccompanied, well you won't be bringing sh!t... unless you put on a lot of rank since I last saw you. Only E-7 and higher are allowed.

mump Jul 10, 2006 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by dee_yamaha
Then I'll take the wife with me hehehe. I made tech n I can study hard to make ^....until then the evo is aight....I need time to add more go fast parts anyway.....so when I get there I dont have to worry about it. Then again winter is harsh there so that means a garage is a must.

garage....ha. that's funny. no such animal here.

dee_yamaha Jul 11, 2006 07:29 PM

garage....ha. that's funny. no such animal here.

That really sucks dude..I have a friend who just got orders to Korea n he is debating to bring his 9..... I want a 9 but I just paid mine off n dont want another car payment.....he's already in the 11s....400 hp. I'll tell him to buy a car cover if he does bring it there.

Take care man.

evojacko Jul 11, 2006 11:55 PM

ive got a garage. i actually lucked out and got my own 2 car garage instead of a big parking garage with tiny spaces. i just dont like parking out on the town because, like i said, the spots are tiny and scratches and dings have a tendency to show up. i havent had as much bad luck as mump though. i just got my rear bumper right behing the wheel well scraped up.
if you dont come over command sponsored you can do like i did. extend for 2 years on top of the year you are already doing and then get an exception to policy to ship. your family would probably kill you though if you stayed away for 3 years. lol.

mump Jul 12, 2006 06:24 AM

USAF is different though. You can get command sponsored pretty easily if you are coming to the 303rd - which you probably will be. And command sponsorship is only a 2 yr tour..and once you get approved for comand sponsorship, you are guarranteed to ship a car.

dee_yamaha Jul 13, 2006 04:10 PM

My friend is Mil to Mil and they are both going there.

USAF is different though. You can get command sponsored pretty easily if you are coming to the 303rd - which you probably will be. And command sponsorship is only a 2 yr tour..and once you get approved for comand sponsorship, you are guarranteed to ship a car.

v rod Jan 27, 2007 10:15 PM

I'm going to bump this!

Anyone else in the ROK?

I just got to Kunsan a couple weeks ago.

mump Jan 29, 2007 07:03 PM

i am still here

jkim2001 Jan 30, 2007 08:45 AM

mump, how is your evo running?

v rod Jan 31, 2007 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by mump (Post 3915157)
i am still here

going through kunsan city anytime soon?

it would be nice to talk shop to fellow evo enthusiast over here or even better, see one. :mitsu:

my 9 se doesn't even have 1k miles on it back in vegas. my wife gets to have all the fun.:( i'm getting withdrawls!

mump Jan 31, 2007 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by jkim2001 (Post 3916892)
mump, how is your evo running?

it is going good except for a scratches here and there. i got a bunch of goodies to put on it when the weather get warmer. i am also thinking of getting a new paint job but i am trying to hold out for awhile. i know as soon as i do it, someone will give it a tappy tap.

byum Feb 27, 2007 04:53 AM

Is the consensus here that you can only bring your EVO with you if you're in the military? Curious cause I'll be working out in Korea for a bit and have been trying to find out if I could take my EVO there...

Anyone have any input on this matter? Thanks in advance.

mump Feb 27, 2007 05:29 AM

Military can bring them in because they are under SOFA status - meaning they are duty free, no taxes. The Korean Government will hit a Japanese car with an ungodly amount of tax - it is like 30-60% the value of the car. I can't remember the exact amount but it is the reason why 90% of the cars here are hyundia, kia, dawoo and why everyone stares as the evo rolls down the street.

byum Feb 27, 2007 06:39 PM

Thanks for the info mump....Currently in Korea checking out the new gig.. :) Where you located? So I can keep an eye out for the LONELY EVO wandering about. :)

mump Feb 27, 2007 08:19 PM

I am down in Songtan, Pyongtaek.

jkim2001 Feb 28, 2007 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by mump (Post 4025734)
Military can bring them in because they are under SOFA status - meaning they are duty free, no taxes. The Korean Government will hit a Japanese car with an ungodly amount of tax - it is like 30-60% the value of the car. I can't remember the exact amount but it is the reason why 90% of the cars here are hyundia, kia, dawoo and why everyone stares as the evo rolls down the street.

Taxes are about 30%. It used to be about 100% and as Mump explained it, why imports are rare. Any import is probably a good sign they are wealthy. For example, I saw the list of a BMW 530i at about $80K..ridiculous. Hope you can bring your evo into Korea.

mump Feb 28, 2007 10:59 PM

Yeah, I just renewed my insurance. The US value of my Evo is $24.5k according to them, the Korean value is about $42k.... now add 30% to that for taxes.
Now don't quote me on this, but I think that 30% is for european and maybe us cars, i heard somewhere that the tax on a japanese car might be more.
Now the insurance on my car is sweet. $1092 a year. Insurance is based on value... so my AWD, turbocharged, rip up the road, race car is the same as any other $25k car on the road. tee-hee.

v rod Mar 30, 2007 10:56 AM

seen a silver evo 8 at osan bx about a month ago. :cool:

mump Apr 2, 2007 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by v rod (Post 4151349)
seen a silver evo 8 at osan bx about a month ago. :cool:

that be me... do you see the beautiful evo 1 around too? i love that car.

PsychoSoldier Jun 4, 2007 08:08 PM

I guess I figured out who's EVO I saw putting around Osan then. I've seen the EVO 1 multiple times, never moving though.

mump Jun 5, 2007 03:45 PM

yup, still here..... only 8 more months to go.

PsychoSoldier Jun 6, 2007 06:14 PM

2 year stay? 5.5 months for me. Then off to Germany.

mump Jun 7, 2007 01:49 AM

yup...life as a korean linguist sucks. 2yr tours here about every other year.. ughhhh.

import_junkie Jun 7, 2007 09:49 AM

i left osan a few months ago... i think i inprocessed with the guy in the silver evo. now i'm in japan and looking into getting a evo 5 or 6.. only seen one evo on base and a few nice hooked up off base.. oh and some hooked up evo wagons in tokyo too.. pretty sweet.

dee_yamaha Jun 7, 2007 07:39 PM

Mump, can't wait for you to get here. I have saved a parking spot for you at the evo corner on post!

PWevo Sep 23, 2007 02:48 AM

I have seen the infamous Evo 1 twice. Found out he's an F-16 pilot.

mump Sep 23, 2007 01:34 PM

that is the new owner of it. the guy that bought it over was a MSgt

thechoc Sep 25, 2007 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by dee_yamaha (Post 4412715)
Mump, can't wait for you to get here. I have saved a parking spot for you at the evo corner on post!

When did they start an evo conner? A lot must have changed there since I jumped ship to Northern VA in 2005