Notices

What MODS to not breach the Road Laws of Sydney, AUS?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What MODS to not breach the Road Laws of Sydney, AUS?

Hey everyone,

New to the forum and will be looking to buy an Evo in the coming months.
Was just wondering (mostly aimed at New South Wales members, due to road law)
What kind of mods would you guys run or add to your Evo? While not breaching the law of the road as the RMS states. (I get that most mods are defect worthy. I'm just one of those guys who'd rather not be getting the attention of the RMS LOL.)
Even simple mods, such as exterior is fine too.

ALSO! Is it worth modding with our modding laws? OR will the mods that will stay within the law be decent? Example, a type of exhaust that will sound really smooth and loud on the road but won't breach the sound decibel limit of the standard set by the RMS? How low can you get your Evo to be on coilovers/Springs(obviously a general question, but I'm asking regarding if just a little bit will affect the ride and smoothness of the car greatly.)

Hope i'm not asking anything silly, i'm researching as much as I can and know this community can provide me with the necessary information I need.

P.S be nice to me LOL
Old Jul 29, 2016, 04:53 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I'm going to move your post to the Australian regional forum, hopefully someone will be able to help. Thank you for posting!

Bob
Old Aug 8, 2016, 02:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Basically nothing, air filter needs to be enclosed so you can add a pod filter but it needs to be totally enclosed in airbox. BOV needs to be plumbed back to the intake pipe. Exhaust needs to have catalytic convertor in place and must meet sound requirements, lowest part of the car must be no lower than 10cm. egr and any other part of the pollution control must be in place, wheels are limited to a percentage of oem wheels size wise (you'll have to check it out on the RMS website. Seats must be ADR approved and much have an engineering cert if you change from stock.

There's very little you can do that's legal, exhaust and intake are limited so that pretty much makes any other mods pointless (exhaust and intake being the first two you need to do). Height and shocks are limited (height to 10cm min as mentioned, any other shocks bar stock needs engineering) so handling improvements are difficult. Even changing to HID bulbs is illegal because they're not stock.

There's two ways to look at it

Keep it legal - Accept the car is what it is from Mitsubishi and enjoy.

Don't care about whether it's illegal - Do whatever mods you can afford (and that are safe) to improve the handling and power output of the car and wear the consequences if you get pulled over by the police/RMS/EPA. These consequences more likely than not will include a fine or two and the need to return the car to legal to keep it on the road.

The choice is up to you.
The following users liked this post:
winniemau5 (Aug 8, 2016)
Old Aug 8, 2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fireescape
Basically nothing, air filter needs to be enclosed so you can add a pod filter but it needs to be totally enclosed in airbox. BOV needs to be plumbed back to the intake pipe. Exhaust needs to have catalytic convertor in place and must meet sound requirements, lowest part of the car must be no lower than 10cm. egr and any other part of the pollution control must be in place, wheels are limited to a percentage of oem wheels size wise (you'll have to check it out on the RMS website. Seats must be ADR approved and much have an engineering cert if you change from stock.

There's very little you can do that's legal, exhaust and intake are limited so that pretty much makes any other mods pointless (exhaust and intake being the first two you need to do). Height and shocks are limited (height to 10cm min as mentioned, any other shocks bar stock needs engineering) so handling improvements are difficult. Even changing to HID bulbs is illegal because they're not stock.

There's two ways to look at it

Keep it legal - Accept the car is what it is from Mitsubishi and enjoy.

Don't care about whether it's illegal - Do whatever mods you can afford (and that are safe) to improve the handling and power output of the car and wear the consequences if you get pulled over by the police/RMS/EPA. These consequences more likely than not will include a fine or two and the need to return the car to legal to keep it on the road.

The choice is up to you.
Thanks alot mate and appreciate the detailed reply ! And when you refer to the 10CM height of the car. Is that how far the side is to the wheel? or how high it is from the ground?

And yeah that's true. I appreciate the Evos standard look, so really if I will mod it, i'd mainly be doing it for aesthetics. Simple ones too, the car itself is just beautiful as it is!

Thanks again fellow aussie! appreciate the help!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
What evo are you looking to buy? 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10?

You can install a car stereo as long as its not too loud.

You can change the exhaust to help the engine breathe better but and as said before, you need to retain a CAT (get a modern high flow cat). Having a good size resonator will help keep the volume down. Stock air box is ok up to 300KW ATW and fits perfectly. You can gain good power with just a good exhaust and having the ECU reflashed.

If you don't want to have a firm "coilover ride" then SWIFT springs or GTworx springs are an option to get it sitting a bit lower, still legal and better performance.

I think you can go 1" wider wheel and 1" larger diameter. Tyre rolling diameter needs to be close to OEM. Wheel offset can be increased a bit legally, i think its under 15mm wider track so combined left and right.

Tint the windows. (to legal specs)

Buy great tyres, brake pads & brake fluid.
winniemau5 (Aug 9, 2016)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 03:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by winniemau5
Thanks alot mate and appreciate the detailed reply ! And when you refer to the 10CM height of the car. Is that how far the side is to the wheel? or how high it is from the ground?

And yeah that's true. I appreciate the Evos standard look, so really if I will mod it, i'd mainly be doing it for aesthetics. Simple ones too, the car itself is just beautiful as it is!

Thanks again fellow aussie! appreciate the help!
Sorry wasn't real clear on the whole 10cm thing. Basically a police officer must be able to pass a 10cm high block under your car and not hit anything. So bar the wheels, obviously, the lowest part of the under-chassis (exhaust, bracing, front bumper etc) must not be lower than 10cm.

Edit. Check out my Facebook page Aus Evo, lots of people in the know are members and it's a friendly troll free environment to ask questions and such. It's a closed group, so you'll have to apply (to me) to join but if I see any Evo pictures on your Facebook page I'll join you up (or if you don't want to do the Facebook thing just PM me your facebook name). This is if you have a Facebook account of course!

Last edited by Fireescape; Aug 9, 2016 at 03:57 AM.
winniemau5 (Aug 9, 2016)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by uzumaki
What evo are you looking to buy? 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10?

You can install a car stereo as long as its not too loud.

You can change the exhaust to help the engine breathe better but and as said before, you need to retain a CAT (get a modern high flow cat). Having a good size resonator will help keep the volume down. Stock air box is ok up to 300KW ATW and fits perfectly. You can gain good power with just a good exhaust and having the ECU reflashed.

If you don't want to have a firm "coilover ride" then SWIFT springs or GTworx springs are an option to get it sitting a bit lower, still legal and better performance.

I think you can go 1" wider wheel and 1" larger diameter. Tyre rolling diameter needs to be close to OEM. Wheel offset can be increased a bit legally, i think its under 15mm wider track so combined left and right.

Tint the windows. (to legal specs)

Buy great tyres, brake pads & brake fluid.
Thanks for the advice mate!
I am looking to buy an 8 or a 9. But most likely a 8 due to the price of 9's
But i'd be so over the moon to own an Evo anyway! (driven quite a lot of evos here and there, but never owned one). I honestly love the car haha.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 06:09 PM
djb

Did you end up buying one?
If so which model ect.
I'm currently looking at what's around thinking 6.5 or 9?
Currently thinking it would be easier buying one already in my state nsw.
instead of trying to get one passed by going over the pits.
Colour hum I like black but I know they are a Kent to keep clean.
It will be a weekender only..
Fireescape I'm sending a request to join no evo pics on my profile though