Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Questions: Brake duct kit, ARP wheel studs, Castrol SRF, + 1 bonus question...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions: Brake duct kit, ARP wheel studs, Castrol SRF, + 1 bonus question...

I'm about to pull the trigger on some stuff you guys offer but need a little info. Anyone is welcome to give their input:

1. Brake duct kit: About how long does it take to install and how well does it work?

2. ARP wheel studs: After installation, do they tend to come loose or do they stay fixed in the hub as good as stock?

3. Castrol SRF brake fluid: How much do I need to buy to bleed/flush the entire system? I'm currently running Motul and I'm told you can't mix the two at all.

Bonus:
4. Why does the Precision Turbo .63 hotside on your 35R kits more a bit more power than the straight Garrett .63?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 07:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
I'm about to pull the trigger on some stuff you guys offer but need a little info. Anyone is welcome to give their input:

1. Brake duct kit: About how long does it take to install and how well does it work?

2. ARP wheel studs: After installation, do they tend to come loose or do they stay fixed in the hub as good as stock?

3. Castrol SRF brake fluid: How much do I need to buy to bleed/flush the entire system? I'm currently running Motul and I'm told you can't mix the two at all.

Bonus:
4. Why does the Precision Turbo .63 hotside on your 35R kits more a bit more power than the straight Garrett .63?
1. The brake duct kit will take several hours and good planning to be installed well.

Bolting on the SS shields and ducts to the brakes is easy. Removing the bumper is easy. Figuring out where to position the aluminum ducts on the bumper and then figuring out the best way to route the tubing from the aluminum ducts to the SS brake ducts is the time consuming part.

I do not know how well they work but can tell you that we have virtually the same kit on our Time Attack car.

2. On the Evo, extended wheel studs seem to work well and stay put. The NISMO studs I put on my 240sx do not. I can certainly understand why you are asking this question.

I highly suggest using a lube on the knurl when installing the stud to insure a good tight fit. Re-torque often till the stud holds torque, then use your regular torque inspection schedule.

3. I swapped racing blue to SRF on an Evo and it took 2 qts to get the blue out. Dont forget you need to do your clutch too.

4. Precision housings were designed around the sport compact market. AMS did (and does) a LOT of testing for PTE. PTEs housings are a more tangental than Garrett housings offering less restrictive flow. The same size A/R housings flow better on the PTE housings than the Garrett housings.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner

This is the only part of your question I have familiarity with. It took me about 2.5 hours to install these with a friend there to help. Like stated by the above poster, the most time consuming is choosing how to route the tubes as well as making sure they are the right length. From my 13 days with them on (installed late July), the brakes have been more consistent and seem to fend off heat much better in longer sessions. I noticed my calipers havent gotten any browner since I got the kit on I'd recommend them, def. worth the cost.

PS heres a pic showing the heat that the ducts help dissipate:

-Ryan
Old Nov 20, 2007, 07:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love having Ivan and the technicians on here to answer questions. It makes it alot easier for me.

As far as how well it works. NIGHT AND DAY! I hear compliment after compliment from track racers on our brake cooling kit. If the SCCA backs it as the only offered brake cooling kit for the EVO it must be good!

Eric
Old Nov 20, 2007, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

It only took me a couple hours to install the brake duct kit. The stainless parts were a perfect fit and routing the ducts was pretty simple.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
I love having Ivan and the technicians on here to answer questions. It makes it alot easier for me.

As far as how well it works. NIGHT AND DAY! I hear compliment after compliment from track racers on our brake cooling kit. If the SCCA backs it as the only offered brake cooling kit for the EVO it must be good!

Eric
Ring, ring. Hey Eric - pick up the phone... I'm about to make a donation to TA2 by buying more parts from you guys.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
per the GCR "AMS brake cooling kit #mmAMS041 allowed "

Me, BZIG and CJ run them on our t2 cars. Just remember when putting them on to keep any zip ties somewhat loose to allow the tube to flex in and out when the wheel is turning, and rememer to test lock to lock with suspension fully extended or when compressed. Very slick little kit.

Marty