Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS Carbon Fiber roof being installed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2008, 08:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
Your comment above is interesting - structurally, what is removed on a sunroof car other than glass rails etc? Thats what I have. I have removed everything but the drain lines - I was going toi drill out some of the spot welded in brackets that held the sunroof rail. I am prepping it for its trip to IL for install this spring, so it can be in and out...
Nothing structurally extra is removed with a sunroof car. The point I was trying to make was there is not much removed from the car to install the carbon roof. I qualified this by saying on the "non sunroof" cars to simplify things rather than listing everything on a sunroof car. I just worded it funny.

The drain lines are easy to pull out.

There are the 5 brackets that hold the sunroof rails that are also removed if you plan on putting a non sunroof head liner back in the car.

You might be able to keep the center roof support but I have not seen a need to keep it in the car. The center support is what the center overhead room light is screwed to. To reinstall the light, I simply fabricated two wing brackets that sandwich the light in place to the headliner.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, Ivan. I removed all the wiring to the lights, so no need for that piece for me I look forward to meeting you later this year.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I f you guys could just get the price down to 1K you would have a nice group buy on your hands.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

can AMS shed some light on the diffrences between their carbon roof and the Varis carbon roof?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest difference with our carbon roof and all other carbon components is the quality in which they are made.

The AMS carbon roof was developed for our Time attack car as a way to remove weight and stiffen the chassis, we never intended to even sell it to the public. Its a Carbon/Kevlar Composite (no fiberglass) With a foam core.

The company that makes all our carbon products, Doors, Roof and Splitters is called prototype composites www.prototypecomposites.com

This is a no-nonsense Race car Carbon fiber facility. They have built some SERIOUS cars and carbon components for race cars. Take a look at their Galleries.

In a nutshell our roof was made for a purpose. the fact that it looks nice is just an added bonus.

On top of that from pictures it looks like ours might be a little lighter but that is yet to be seen without actually getting it on a scale.

If the fact that its a better product doesn't sway you then maybe the fact that our is $100 cheaper will

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Feb 6, 2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

yeah dont get me wrong i love the look of the AMS carbon roof i just noticed the "look" diffrences.

I like the look of the two rasied parts that the varis has, like the Alum. stock roof.
but
I also like the fact that the AMS uses kavlar

so I guess its a toss up. or like you said comes down to the $100 price diffrence.

Do you guys have any pics of the AMS carbon roof on white evos?

and one last thing, what should I look to pay to have a carbon roof installed?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Is the AMS roof a dry or wet carbon composite?

l8r)
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:12 PM

that sexxy
Old Feb 7, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Dang thats sexy I want one!!!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 04:56 AM

If you would be installing this roof on a street car then reinstall the headliner, what's the sound deadening difference? The roof looks GREAT but I wouldn't want to put this piece on and then it sound like I was riding in a convertible with the top down! Also, how many layers of clear coat if any are used? It looks like in one of the pictures that there are already some swirl marks....
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Is the AMS roof a dry or wet carbon composite?

l8r)
Dry carbon
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

^ Very nice!!

l8r)
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by lrs97gst
If you would be installing this roof on a street car then reinstall the headliner, what's the sound deadening difference? The roof looks GREAT but I wouldn't want to put this piece on and then it sound like I was riding in a convertible with the top down! Also, how many layers of clear coat if any are used? It looks like in one of the pictures that there are already some swirl marks....
Friendly bump!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You be hard pressed to notice ANY difference in sound from this CF roof. There are quite a few layers on the roof but as with any body piece throwing a coat of wax on it will bring out the shine

Eric
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
You be hard pressed to notice ANY difference in sound from this CF roof. There are quite a few layers on the roof but as with any body piece throwing a coat of wax on it will bring out the shine

Eric
Very much appreciated! So what would the installed price be if a car was brought to the shop? Right around 2k?

Quick Reply: AMS Carbon Fiber roof being installed