Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

The building of AMS TA X! BACK ON TRACK!

Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark@AMS
In-n-out > del taco
oooo... mmmm... in-n-out is pretty good too

Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BadazzCR
Looking good, I guess you guys have read the rule book. But just incase you may want to take a look at this one below.

4.2.2 Factory firewall must remain intact. Exceptions to this rule would be alterations to the firewall to allow for roll cages to extend into the engine bay, for service oriented reasons or to create clearance for engine exhaust tubing. (i.e., installation of custom engine/transmission assemblies). Modifications cannot be performed to the firewalls that are considered by Redline to be primarily for weight savings reasons or for the fitment of custom suspension systems. Firewall must be appropriately re-sealed.
The factory firewall is intact and will remain so. The only thing that was removed were some studs that locate the factory dash. Also the windshield wiper tray has been modified. This has been done just to allow for some more access to the rear of the engine. Thanks for looking out though Doug...we are pretty excited about next season!

Eric
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the front and rear bumper beams provide additional structural rigidity? If so, do they get lightweight replacements? Will the roll cage and seam welding add so much additional rigidity and safety that bumper beams are irrelevent?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Do the front and rear bumper beams provide additional structural rigidity? If so, do they get lightweight replacements? Will the roll cage and seam welding add so much additional rigidity and safety that bumper beams are irrelevent?
The front and rear crash beams add no rigidity to the car. They are designed to crumple in an accident and protect the occupants. We removed both of them for the street class races we did in Nov at Buttonwillow.

The front is aluminum and fairly light but the stanchions that attach it to the frame rails are steel and weigh a bit. I think the front weighed 21 lbs with stanchions. I fabbed up a lightweight replacement out of chromoly that saved 15 lbs on the front. This was just in case a tire barrier was bumped or something along those lines happened. There may be plans to make the lightweight front bumper bar for public sales in the future.

The rear is MASSIVELY heavy. Over 40 lbs if I remember correctly. I removed it but the license plate light bracket attaches to it. To keep it street legal, I used some DEI LED license plate bolts to hold the plate in place and light it.

Old Dec 23, 2008, 08:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Ivan also has squirter LEDs on his 240!
Old Dec 24, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
The factory firewall is intact and will remain so. The only thing that was removed were some studs that locate the factory dash. Also the windshield wiper tray has been modified. This has been done just to allow for some more access to the rear of the engine. Thanks for looking out though Doug...we are pretty excited about next season!

Eric
Gotcha... Seems I need to read up on the X's body structure. I personally could care less to what the rules say, but it would be a shame if some other team started crap over it. Next year is going to be a blast for sure, will be nice to have the east coast competition again.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BadazzCR
Gotcha... Seems I need to read up on the X's body structure. I personally could care less to what the rules say, but it would be a shame if some other team started crap over it. Next year is going to be a blast for sure, will be nice to have the east coast competition again.
The firewall structure has not been altered at all. Unneeded mounts, tabs and studs have been removed which is perfectly legal as this is not modifying the firewall itself. Getting rid of those items will make resealing the firewall much easier. There will only be one or two areas of the actual firewall that will get cut where the cage will pass through but that will be it.

The box for the windshield wiper mechanism was removed from the front of the firewall to gain some room for maintenance and turbo kit fitment. On the X, the overhang into the engine compartment for this piece is quite large and has cut me quite a few time while working on the back side of the motor.

Justin and I both have hard copies of the RTA rules and refer to them quite often. We have also discussed all of our proposed mods with Nick at RTA to get rule clarification when we had any doubts.

I am really looking forward to making more progress on the car. Right now things are a bit slow with the holidays and all.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

This thing is getting me all hot and bothered!
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ECS Performance
This thing is getting me all hot and bothered!
I bet your wife loves you!! You're easy to please But I too, Would donate some only slightly needed body parts for this vehicle
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Going to be very interesting :-) time attack eh.

Sean :-)
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:34 PM

WTB update.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol we will get some more pictures up here soon. Ivan and Justin have been busy with the cage and taking even more weight out.

Rich should have some pictures up tomorrow.

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Jan 6, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 03:16 PM
Account Disabled

damn, you guys updated the thread with no pics!!!! Damn You...haha! Can't wait.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

tomorrow then!
Old Jan 6, 2009, 08:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Sorry guys. It has been hectic here. Having nearly a week off between Christmas and New Years holidays and then inventory.... anyway...

With the help of Shane and Shaun, we have been able to get quite a bit of weight off the chassis. The running total of weight removed is 153 pounds in the boxes and ? pounds in the vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately, some of that weight is going to go back in (trunk floor, rear seat area floor and lower core support) but it will "net" a loss in weight.

Justin has been working on getting the cage in the car. Planning and fabricating the cage is not going as quickly as we had wanted. We are trying very hard to keep the cage to a minimum while maximizing driver protection and chassis rigidity. We are being very creative with the cage as you will soon see. Keep in mind that we need to incorporate a support for the steering column, mounts for the seat, a mount for the pedal box, and mounts for the fuel cell into the cage structure. We have had several changes in our design that have been taking up a lot of Justin's time but will be worth it in the end.

Justin and I modified the subframes to help correct suspension geometry that is changed with a lowered stance. These both came out very nice. I had to reinstall the rear suspension and make some modifications to the frame rails to get full suspension travel. I am pretty happy with the end result. A 295-35-18 tire will now tuck all the way up till the top of the wheel is even with the top of the wheel well.

I spent a bit of time trying to decide what to do with the rear doors. Doing the normal "gut and cut" is just not going to work for this car. I wanted to do pin on rear doors but I just couldn't find a good way to modify the stock rears that was tasteful. We ended up ordering new rear door skins from Mitsu and I already have one pinned in place. I am pretty pleased with the looks. The door skins are 8 lbs each so this will be a significant weight savings. I wish we could do the same for the front doors....

I think that tomorrow we are going to make a good bit of progress and have pictures to prove it!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The building of AMS TA X! BACK ON TRACK!