Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Question on oil accumulator for EVO8

Old Feb 8, 2010, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on oil accumulator for EVO8

I have been looking at your oil accumulator and I like the idea and it has been proven in racing so I don't need the complete reasoning for this mod. I have been considering in adding this in with your replacement oil cooler kit to help supplement the oil pressure scenario that happens with high turning g-forces. The oil pan upgrade is a bit out of my budget at this time although I can see this accumulator helping partially with this issue. I did a search on this and came up empty handed. Modified magazine just did a nice writeup on a 350Z and I am sure many of the things they did could find their place on the EVO also.

Any additional info on this topic would be great!!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Bump?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The oil accumulator will definitely help out with oil starvation when using the stock oil pan. We have seen oil starvation issues when road racing with the stock oil pan in high g-force turns. The best way to completely fix this issue would to be to run our upgraded oil pan with the oil accumulator but for the time being just the oil accumulator by itself will help out with keeping the oil pressure where it needs to be.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

^^ What would you suggest to install first for a road-race car? The moroso accumulator or the larger oil pan?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by boomn29
^^ What would you suggest to install first for a road-race car? The moroso accumulator or the larger oil pan?
I would suggest going with the oil pan first. The oil accumulator will require custom lines to be made and setup and also has its downsides if not used properly. One of these would be the valve has to be turned off every time before the engine is shut down. If it is not, then it will send the pressure into the oil pan with the engine not running. This could cause air bubbles in the oil which is not good and also fill the oil pan with oil and next time you start the car the crank will be sloshing all the oil around. Also it makes oil changes very time consuming as all the lines have to be emptied and cleaned.

I would definitely recommend the wet sump oil pan for your car.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS
I would suggest going with the oil pan first. The oil accumulator will require custom lines to be made and setup and also has its downsides if not used properly. One of these would be the valve has to be turned off every time before the engine is shut down. If it is not, then it will send the pressure into the oil pan with the engine not running. This could cause air bubbles in the oil which is not good and also fill the oil pan with oil and next time you start the car the crank will be sloshing all the oil around. Also it makes oil changes very time consuming as all the lines have to be emptied and cleaned.

Thx Andrew for the detailed response.

Oh, it's on the list of goodies I want. I'm just continually shuffling the order!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS

I spoke to Moroso as I did not get a response from you guys. They said I can pressurize the tank to push the oil out of the system when doing an oil change so this should not be all that difficult. Furthermore they said when wiring the relay in have it open the valve with the ignition turned on and the install of a one way check valve would prevent some of these issues you stated. Is this not the case?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fast Frank
I spoke to Moroso as I did not get a response from you guys. They said I can pressurize the tank to push the oil out of the system when doing an oil change so this should not be all that difficult. Furthermore they said when wiring the relay in have it open the valve with the ignition turned on and the install of a one way check valve would prevent some of these issues you stated. Is this not the case?

Yes sir you are correct, that would be a great way to hook it up to solve those issues. I was just stating that the oil pan would probably be the easiest was to help solve the oil starvation issue as it does not require making or installing custom lines, relays, and check valves. If there is still issues after that, then the oil accumulator would definitely be the next step.

Last edited by Andrew@AMS; Mar 2, 2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Has there been any plans to make a stamped steel pan as this should be much more cost effective. I imagine it would bring the cost down greatly.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Unfortunately there are no plans to make a steel version at this time but I will definitely bring it up to the engineers to look into.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Tooling is very expensive to make a stamped pan and with our current design I don't know if investing in that would be the best decision. The aluminum pan works great!!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

I just like the benefit of a stamped pan as you can use it to support the weight of the motor if needed when doing trans work, etc.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast Frank
I just like the benefit of a stamped pan as you can use it to support the weight of the motor if needed when doing trans work, etc.

I don't know why you would EVER want to do that.

Scorke
Old May 12, 2010, 02:34 AM

I just pulled my motor and trans to have it built. and Since I have a low ceiling in my garage the easiest way to get the motor out was to jack up the front of the car. And lower the motor and tranny with my cherry picker.

resting the engine on a stock oil pan is fine but i dont think I would want to scratch up or dent one of those nice ams pans.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you guys have any datalogs from your road racing car before and after the pan during a sustained high g corner? What was the improvement in oil pressure at different lateral g's?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on oil accumulator for EVO8