TBR Formula 1 Discussion Thread (expect spoilers) - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Go Back  EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community > Miscellaneous > The Back Room
Reload this Page > TBR Formula 1 Discussion Thread (expect spoilers)
Notices
The Back Room Off topic discussions for thick skinned, can take a joke members. Evom rules apply.

TBR Formula 1 Discussion Thread (expect spoilers)

Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:21 AM
EvoM Administrator

TBR Formula 1 Discussion Thread (expect spoilers)

I'm bored so I'm making this.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:23 AM
EvoM Administrator

Japan = great race. Nice to see Vettel actually have to work a little to win (even if he was sandbagging for much of the race.) Lettuceman is getting more and more consistent. Webber actually finished! Sauber is impressing lately, as well. Would love to see Hulk hop over to Lotus for next year.

The driver's championship will probably already be decided by the time the Austin race hits but nice to know there still should be a lot of good racing action behind Vettel.

Next year:
Kimi to Ferrari.
Ricciardo to RBR.
??? to STR
Hulk to Lotus?
Massa to ???
??? to Sauber? Maybe Massa?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

I wish the points race were closer, would make it more interesting, but the races are still entertaining. Now I know how non-Ducati fans felt watching World Superbike during the 90's and early 2000's lol, it gets old seeing the same guy win over and over if he's not your favorite pilot. The Austin race ought to be a great one to watch though, can't wait.

Do you think it would have been smarter if Weber had stayed out on the tires he was on for the last laps instead of pitting to get new ones? Or would his lap times have eventually decreased to the point to where he would have been passed anyways?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Team Red Bull robbed Webber of the win.
He was 14 secs ahead with 10 laps to go.
He could have given back a second a lap to save his tires and still won easily, but they called him in .. complete BS
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah the points this year are killing me! I was going so hard for lewis but at this point vettel is killing it
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
I wish the points race were closer, would make it more interesting, but the races are still entertaining. Now I know how non-Ducati fans felt watching World Superbike during the 90's and early 2000's lol, it gets old seeing the same guy win over and over if he's not your favorite pilot. The Austin race ought to be a great one to watch though, can't wait.

Do you think it would have been smarter if Weber had stayed out on the tires he was on for the last laps instead of pitting to get new ones? Or would his lap times have eventually decreased to the point to where he would have been passed anyways?
IMO this image says it all - Webber got screwed.

Vettel's strategy proves that RBR knew what they could get out of the tires and there was no reason for Webber to do a 3 stop.

We're getting a lot of fantastic battles this year behind Vettel, so that counts for something. I'm really hoping that next year is closer/more competitive thanks to all new cars, new engines, and some drivers moving around.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:38 AM
El Jefe

Is that chart right? Thought orange = medium, white = soft?

The Webber 3 stop would have won the race... if the 3rd set had been on the option. Why put on the prime when you're coming in again? Push the whole way, stints of 12 opt 18 prime 12 opt 12 opt = winning strategy. That 13 lap stint on mediums (the first one) was a ~8 second penalty, on top of the 23 seconds in the pits.

So, yeah, Webber got jobbed out of a win that he deserved. Vettel had a **** start and a **** first stint, but got rewarded. I'm not exactly a fan of Webber but still... wasn't really keen on this race.

I don't see how Vettel doesn't clinch next week. Even if he crashed out the rest of the way, Alonso would need P1 all 4 races? Not likely.

The interesting stuff will be 2-3-4 in constructors (currently quite close) and 2-5 in drivers.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:41 AM
El Jefe

RE next year, I'm worried about how much mileage racing will come into play. That **** has infected NASCAR at some tracks, and it's boring as snot. You think conserving tires is dull? Wait until you hear Rocquelin is telling Vettel to back off to save fuel 30 laps from the end.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:44 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly View Post
Is that chart right? Thought orange = medium, white = soft?

The Webber 3 stop would have won the race... if the 3rd set had been on the option. Why put on the prime when you're coming in again? Push the whole way, stints of 12 opt 18 prime 12 opt 12 opt = winning strategy. That 13 lap stint on mediums (the first one) was a ~8 second penalty, on top of the 23 seconds in the pits.

So, yeah, Webber got jobbed out of a win that he deserved. Vettel had a **** start and a **** first stint, but got rewarded. I'm not exactly a fan of Webber but still... wasn't really keen on this race.

I don't see how Vettel doesn't clinch next week. Even if he crashed out the rest of the way, Alonso would need P1 all 4 races? Not likely.

The interesting stuff will be 2-3-4 in constructors (currently quite close) and 2-5 in drivers.
Yes, it's correct.
Red = Super Soft
Yellow = Soft
White = Medium
Orange = Hard

Good point about using the option for both the 3rd and 4th sets, instead of just the 4th. Might have gained enough seconds to get around Lettuceman (I love that term) but getting around Vettel would still be iffy.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:51 AM
El Jefe

I think if he goes opt opt prime opt, he's never directly behind either of them.

I honestly doubt this was a planned strategy, but was done on the fly to get MW behind Vettel.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:31 PM
EvoM Administrator

Interesting, nobody tried that strategy. Looks like Rosberg could've done it if he had worked a bit more life out of his second set.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget they only get so many sets of each tire for the weekend.
Tire strategy is sometimes based on the condition of each set.
Some teams may have chewed up their option tires more than others during qualifying
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:54 PM
El Jefe

For sure. Red Bull has frequently done Q1 on the prime tire because they knew they'd be in the top 16 with time to spare even on the slower tire, and thus saved a set of options for the race. They did this in Singapore, I think.

Also, behind the top 3, I don't think strategy was much in play. Everyone got bottled up behind Riccardio from laps ~16-22 and by then the top 3 were 30+ seconds ahead.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:55 PM
El Jefe

And to further beat the dead horse, if you have only 1 set of opts for the race, running a 3 stop strategy seems like a guaranteed loser.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Also, as was brought out by the announcers, Webber may have been used to sucker
the Lotus team into pitting, which seemed to have worked.
Kimi pitted the same lap, and Grosjean a lap later, which allowed Vettel to break ahead.

So, in a way, Webber was payed twice, for the greater good of course

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: