Notices
The Back Room Off topic discussions for thick skinned, can take a joke members. Evom rules apply.

Attention: Post Whores IX - Whores have nine lives

Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Good luck. Even the nice furniture here is all the same particle board crap, just with slightly nicer laminate and pre-assembled. Real wood is expensive as ****, even the ones that are laminate over plywood.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 661 Times in 625 Posts
Well, if I paid to have someone come assemble this stuff, I could probably just buy the stuff I really liked on wayfair for a couple hundred more dollars. I'm not saying it would get me some fancy shmancy real wood furniture...lol
Old Nov 8, 2017, 02:24 PM
El Jefe

Liked 59 Times in 55 Posts
Unless you really hate the assembly, Ikea furniture is actually about as good as it gets until you get into the real high dollar stuff. As you said, the next level up is the same waferboard and glue garbage, except it's slapped together by someone else.

Ikea couches suck though. I need to get my furniture into the apartment but my attempts to retrain WAPCE's cat are failing. Stubborn old ***** won't stop using the ends of the couch as a scratching post, despite there being an actual scratching post (laced with cat nip) 2 feet away. I'm not letting this mutt destroy my nice couches.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Target has less selection but their particle board stuff tends to be more sturdy. I have Target coffee table and TV credenza thing that have been with me for 3 moves and are still sturdy. The Ikea stuff I have to throw away whenever I move.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Target has all new furniture. It's actually pretty decent. My Ikea bed frame barely made it through my move. Had to reinforce it with a few screws because the squeaking was so bad.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
We'll spend money on stuff we actually use the couch, master bedroom furniture are Ethan Allen and has survived 2 moves pretty much unscathed. The rest of the stuff is a hodge podge of random crap from places like Ikea, target, hobby lobby, etc...

One of the good things about NC is the remains of the furniture industry make it easy to find decent deals as long as you are a bit flexible and patient.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

My bed is 20 years old, has survived 6 or 7 moves plus my fat as humping a bunch of chubby girls, and it was the cheapo comes free with the mattress as part of a sale at Sleep Train model. It is all beat up but refuses to die, and I'm too cheap to replace a usable piece of furniture. Solid hardwood with decent sized metal connectors and nice, durable stain. It would probably cost thousands now to get something similar.

Speaking of beds, I have a date with the scary girl Friday. SHUT UP! Yeah, you guys were right, but in my defense, she has been the one pushing it, not me. Though it's still possible she just wants free food and to play with my cat.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Anybody have any of the networked light bulbs? I'm considering getting a few of the LIFX can lights for the living room. I've read most of the reviews but was looking for first hand experience. On one hand I like that they don't need a hub but, on the other I don't want to sift through 100+ devices every time I look at what's on my network.

Our furniture layout puts the tv directly under a can light and it's annoying as hell. I'd like to be able to turn that light completely off and dim the others so, this is kind of the only way I see that happening without significant rewiring which I'm not really wanting to get into. I'm also dorky enough that I kind of like the idea of being able to change colors like to a warmer white or red and stuff to not be jarring at night.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

All I know is to pay more for the ones that are dimmable. You can't just plug dimmable bulbs into non-dimmable housings and use a dimmable switch to make them dimmable. They did it wrong where I live now, so it is like Genesis every time I flick the switch.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 03:43 PM

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly View Post
Unless you really hate the assembly, Ikea furniture is actually about as good as it gets until you get into the real high dollar stuff.
That is a negative, goat rider.

http://www.coasterfurniture.com/

Secret from the trade-show industry. Be careful with the items they sell heavy in particle board, but most of what they have is nice and can be as cheap or cheaper than Ikea.

https://euro.style/

They aren't bad either, but that it more chairs and sofas. Their bar-stools are about as durable as I have ever seen, and they look pretty damn good.

Ikea does make a few really nice glass inset tables, but I have been really disappointed with the quality of their furniture, overall. With bed sets, either spend the money or hit up CL for a high end used set.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 03:45 PM

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Anybody have any of the networked light bulbs?
Yeah, Phillips Hue works pretty well. I have found it is best to use lights that are compatible with TRIAC dimmers, which are few and far between.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 05:46 PM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by NFSEvolutionGSR View Post
That is a negative, goat rider.

http://www.coasterfurniture.com/

Secret from the trade-show industry. Be careful with the items they sell heavy in particle board, but most of what they have is nice and can be as cheap or cheaper than Ikea.
I looked at some of this, there was a retailer near my house in SoCal. Definitely nicer, but at least what I was looking at was nowhere close to Ikea price.

The Ikea dresser I bought was $179. The particle board stuff in stores was 300-400; a lot of the demo units were obviously crap. Real wood was 600+.

If I was just buying one piece, yeah I'd have spent more, but when I had to furnish a whole house... Ikea was tough to beat without spending 50% more on every piece.

https://euro.style/

They aren't bad either, but that it more chairs and sofas. Their bar-stools are about as durable as I have ever seen, and they look pretty damn good.
I don't know the prices, but I like some of their stuff, especially that Adeline table.

Ikea does make a few really nice glass inset tables, but I have been really disappointed with the quality of their furniture, overall. With bed sets, either spend the money or hit up CL for a high end used set.
My experience with Ikea beds was fairly good. Again, for the price. Have to get the better slat sets, the base ones squeak like crazy. Both of the beds I had survived a couple disassemblies and moves.

Maybe I just have low standards, but a bed that's quiet and holds up the mattress is plenty good enough for me. If it looks OK, all the better.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 06:02 PM
EvoM Administrator

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, when it comes to Ikea, the bed frame we've had for 10 years now has held up quite well through a few moves. Just recently got retired to guest bed duty.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 06:05 PM
El Jefe

Oooh upgrade!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention: Post Whores IX - Whores have nine lives

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.