Go Back  EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community > Miscellaneous > The Back Room
Reload this Page >

Attention: Post Whores IX - Whores have nine lives

Notices
The Back Room Off topic discussions for thick skinned, can take a joke members. Evom rules apply.

Attention: Post Whores IX - Whores have nine lives

Old Sep 26, 2017, 03:10 PM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by TeStUdO View Post
Yep. Probably just a paint decontamination product. Sonax is awesome wheel cleaner, BTW.

Bought a huge Ariens snowblower yesterday so it is guaranteed not to snow this winter.
I always wanted something like a 12 HP snowblower on tracks.

Then I realized I was stupid and I should just move somewhere it doesn't snow all the time.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 03:12 PM
El Jefe

https://powerequipment.honda.com/sno...2at-hss1332atd

Throwing snow 56 feet sounds awesome.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

I bought a 28" snowblower w/ an 11.5 horsepower engine. Sure we get about 12" of snow a year, but I am lazy and it was a great deal.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Yep. Probably just a paint decontamination product. Sonax is awesome wheel cleaner, BTW.

Bought a huge Ariens snowblower yesterday so it is guaranteed not to snow this winter.
As the proud owner of a sprawling 1 acre estate who prefers to work smart instead of hard I find myself procuring all kinds of yard equipment nowadays. I just got one of these for the leaves.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessor...ush/588209002/

Next I want either a pole or a tow behind dethatcher.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

My yard is a giant pile of leaves in the fall. 2.5 acres and surrounded by trees. I don't even bother trying to remove them. I clean the gutters and take the leaf blower to the driveway. That's the extent of my yard work with the pesky leaves.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

I've got to get them up or my grass dies. The back half of my property is heavily wooded with established trees, I've cleared out everything under 6" trunk diameter and I leave it full of leaf litter. From the back fence forward I've got about 8-10 giant oak trees that cover everything in acorns and leaves.

Unfortunately for me about the only times the yard can get good growth is in spring before the leaves sprout and a few weeks in the fall when the leaves are dropping but, it's not too cold to go dormant. Otherwise winter is usually too cold and summer the shade is too dense.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I'm back on the Legends kick, though my brother wants to do Thunder Roadsters instead just because they don't look as goofy. I like that legends are cheaper to run, easier to transport (20' trailer for 2, not 30'), and run on all sorts of tracks not just the two big ones in the area like TR. The biggest thing holding me back at this point is that I'm not sure how well it will work as practice for going to real cars later.

Anyone know people that run any sort of mini-cars you can ask? I know karts and small formula cars are not supposed to be good as a stepping stone to production car based racing, but would these things since they have full suspension, front engine, etc?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

I spent several hours in class today. All I learned was SWAG.

Scientific Wild *** Guess
Old Sep 28, 2017, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Speaking of school, I realized I had 13 months left of GI Bill benefits so I signed up for two online classes. This was a mistake.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Got my car back. It's all shiny. Apparently there's still some contamination left that will have to be buffed out. I can't see it but that's a spring job.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR View Post
I'm back on the Legends kick, though my brother wants to do Thunder Roadsters instead just because they don't look as goofy. I like that legends are cheaper to run, easier to transport (20' trailer for 2, not 30'), and run on all sorts of tracks not just the two big ones in the area like TR. The biggest thing holding me back at this point is that I'm not sure how well it will work as practice for going to real cars later.

Anyone know people that run any sort of mini-cars you can ask? I know karts and small formula cars are not supposed to be good as a stepping stone to production car based racing, but would these things since they have full suspension, front engine, etc?
I think seat time actually wheel to wheel racing against people is the most important thing, it's not as important what the vehicle is.

In my opinion regardless of what your end goals are it's best to start out on karts because you can only do so much with the chassis and you are less likely to develop bad habits driving around issues with the vehicle setup. I've seen a lot of guys who start out in street stocks and then go into late models or modifieds with some really weird habits because they've had to drive around an ill handling car that they didn't even know was ill handling.

What's funny is if you take just about any type of racing far enough up the ladder you pretty much always end up driving what is basically a kart with no suspension to maintain a stable aero platform.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

That was my opinion, except I'm too fat for karts. I found an arrive and drive series at Sears Point that I thought about doing a year just to get a feel for racing, and we did a class for it, but the weight differences in our group of friends (mostly 40-60 years old) made it not particularly fun. The series, either arrive and drive or owning karts, has a lot of skinny guys so it won't work for me. Even when I was in really good shape, my basic musculature and structure is in the 180+ range. That's one nice thing about heavy cars that use ballast for the smaller people.

The Legends, it seems like setup is mostly a known factor since they are spec cars, and with my E30 I had adjustable sway bars and stuff but just left them where my friend, who was winning the regional championships, had his set. He never touched his suspension because he is basically Cole Trickle - he's fast as **** but knows nothing about cars.

Speaking of school, I realized I had 13 months left of GI Bill benefits so I signed up for two online classes. This was a mistake.
My buddy used his to go to cooking and butchering schools, after he finished grad school. I take him hunting at our place just so I don't have to deal with the butchering.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure if this is inherent to legends cars or more related to the amount of motorsports professionals around here that have them but, everyone cheats like crazy. If you don't have a cheated up motor and some cheated up tires you will not stand a chance.

And you are still going to feel your weight penalty unless there is enough of them to have weight classes like karts usually do.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Cheating is racing, but the guy who won both days in the senior class (40+) last time I saw them had tires so old that they were cracking, so I doubt, at least around here, that it gets to the point of $20k spec Miata motors. I got a guy to confess to that number at the bars one night, and he wasn't even on the sharp end of the pack.

Weight will be an issue in Legends, but if I can get down to about 2 bills it shouldn't be that bad. Extra motivation. I plan on running the senior league anyways, at least until I can get my pace up, and they are a few seconds off the hot shots in the "pro" class.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 02:28 PM
El Jefe

I did an arrive and drive kart series years ago, several actually. One was weight balanced at 180 and the other was 200.

With my helmet and gear, I was over 240.

Needless to say, despite being a better drive than all but a handful, giving up 40-60 lbs meant mostly DFL finishes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention: Post Whores IX - Whores have nine lives

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.