Notices

Mitsubishi Warranty: extremely disappointed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi Warranty: extremely disappointed

Warning: this is a polite rant.

I'll try to be brief. I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Ralliart that I purchased brand new from mid-Toronto Mitsubishi. Since August, something fishy has been going on with the transmission. When I accelerate it's no longer smooth and does what it feels like mini-jumps. A few times on the highway it's even switched from the 6th gear to the 4th at high speeds (120km/h), and it doesn't change unless the car's pulled to the side of the highway, turned off, and turned back on again.

I've taken it to Mitsubishi 4 times now. The first and second time, around 3 and 2 months ago, they said they can't detect any problems. The 3rd time, which was a month ago, they finally said they recognize the problem. They sent it to Mitsubishi, they said the transmission needs to be reset, and they sent it back. It worked for a week or so and then the problem came back again.

So now I took it to the Mitsubishi dealership again. They said they've contacted Mitsubishi and they want to do a diagnostic to see if they can fix the transmission instead of replacing the entire thing, and that's going to take around 2 weeks. Fine. Will I be provided with a replacement car? "Sorry. Mitsubishi's policy is that we can't provide you with a replacement car while the car is being diagnosed." I tried really really hard to explain them my position: that I need a car, that this car is not even 3 years old, that I have certain expectations from a car that I dish out more than $40k on, that I've been to Mitsubishi back and forth 4 times over the same issue; yet nothing seems to work. "Sorry, you're on your own, sucker" seems to be the answer.

I had a Honda Accord before this car. It didn't have these problems, and the customer service was beyond anything the people at Mitsubishi are providing me with. I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated. But fine. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I know better now.

If any of you have a suggestion, please let me know. I would be forever grateful.

Thus ends my rant... at least for now.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
Account Disabled

i feel your pain.. few things to consider when buying mitsu.. if it's AWD and turbo.. your on your own.. the mitsu people know the fwd non turbo cars. it's also a lower end place. had a volvo before my evo and volvo will provide you with one of their brand new loaner cars usually top package type ones. mostly so you'll want to buy a new volvo.. however does cost 20$ a day for anything under 1000km/day and of course no damage.
to my knowledge honda doesn't offer loaners but does offer a shuttle service.

if my trans started doing that. id take it to mitsu once if it's not fixed the first time id take it to a place that can. sadly we don't have a shep ssp or jacks transmissions in canada.. however there might be places that can do it. if all else fails contact mitsu corporate.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:28 AM

I would complain to Mitsubishi Canada/NA. If you don't hear from them within 1 week, call Mitsubishi Japan, informing them that you have attempted in contacting their NA branch with no response (make sure you log the time and date you did these).

explain to them what have happened and avoid yelling.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

In the U.S. we the "Lemon Law" north of the border you have the "Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan" have you looked into it.

http://www.camvap.ca/arbitration/agreement/
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

I actually sold my lancer last summer because of the terrible mistubishi warranty! Mistu must be the worst of them all to me right now. The 10 year warranty, forget that, 10 year 160,000km of head ach's, complaints and battles.

Now i'm back with Toyota and honda. Now these guys know how to get things done

here was my thread - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/to...itsubishi.html

Last edited by s84kam; Mar 31, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:33 PM

honestly I would ask them for a printout explaining all there work and take it to a different dealership/

it sounds to me like the service manager is a idiot. try a different dealership. that would be my very first thought when it comes to warranty coverage issues.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:19 PM

Yeah I have to agree, I would recommend you find a new dealership.
I have a friend that couldn't get any warranty work done at one dealership and then went to another and got everything done there.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
If high quality work and a loaner car is desired, you can try to visit another automaker's dealership for a matter like this. BMW M3, for example, also has a version with Getrag twin-clutch transmissions.

If you pay, they may be more than glad to do the work for you and offer you a loaner car.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

I got sick of fighting with Mitsubishi and that policy of not giving a loaner car really bothered me. When my first engine blew, I ranted to the point I got a loaner which was an old Chrysler Intrepid that after driving almost 2 months broke down on me. I got so sick of Mitsubishi that I finally gave up with the headaches and bought a civic si in October. I'm back with Honda and I will never ever go back to a Mitsubishi product again.

I really hope they go under and never come back into the Canadian market again.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:46 PM

I had my 2009 Lancer GTS for about 3 years before selling it and had no problems using Dixie Mitsubishi. The dealership is small and looks run down but as long as they get the job done - I don't care.

I am gearing up to buy an Evo X soon but I am stuck between buying a new one or an older one with mild mods.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ssbwrc
I had my 2009 Lancer GTS for about 3 years before selling it and had no problems using Dixie Mitsubishi. The dealership is small and looks run down but as long as they get the job done - I don't care.

I am gearing up to buy an Evo X soon but I am stuck between buying a new one or an older one with mild mods.
I had nightmare experiences at Dixie Mitsubishi in the Chris Cooke era...almost had to get the police involved.

If I were you I'd look into buying an Evo x with low mileage and let the first owner take the depreciation hit from his pocket. I really regret buying my Mitsubishi brand new because of how badly these cars depreciate on the market.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:28 AM

Yes I 100% agree with the depreciation aspect. I felt that full force with my GTS.

The market in Canada for Mitsubishi's is just weird. And the Evo X is over priced.. anyone know why?

When the time comes - I will weigh my options. I am really **** about the car having been tracked or launched, etc. Oh well... let me hit the lotto first then i'll be looking :P

Last edited by ssbwrc; Jan 30, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:41 AM

I'm having the same issue...
After arguing for hours, I finally got them to give me Southside Mitsubishi's discount for a local rental car company.
Definitely a pain in the *** to pay for this car, only to have to get it towed from Fort McMurray to Edmonton, AND pay for a rental.

At Least they actually came through with roadside assistance.