Notices

Importing an Evo into Canada (Merged because Dan is such a swell dude)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha, it is a waste of time, but a necessary waste of time. While you did not get turned back, others have for not having their title stamped. You can google for stories of other people getting turned back on the canadian side. So while it may seem like a waste of time, it'd be an even bigger waste of time if someone did the same thing as you and ended up getting turned back. I say do the 3 days to get the stamp on the US side and not worry at the border whether you'll make it through or not.

Originally Posted by Not4Sale
I didnt bother stopping at the US customs, waste of time IMHO
Old May 22, 2010, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see you are from Vancouver... where these people have been turned back, thats too bad for them. Every Province has their own rules/laws. I always hear people telling stories but its never from the people who actually went through it. it is always someone who said they 'heard' or saw it on google.
The person i bought my car from had the bill of sale 'notarized' and because he still owed money to the bank, I payed my money to the bank and they released the title to me. When I got to the border, I wasnt even there for 2 minutes. I gave the guy my passport, the title and bill of sale and he gave me a yellow paper to take into Canadian customs. I got into customs and I personally asked them if I was suppose to go to the american side first. They personally told me that only the US requires that, not Canada. I personally went thorugh that, Im not telling you to go look on google for my story.
If anyone was turned back, its because they didnt do their research and probably did not have the proper information to give to tge border.
Old May 25, 2010, 08:05 PM

I'm just saying the fact that it worked for you doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone else. Why even list it on RIV's website as a step if you don't need to do it? A lot of people on here have done the 72 hours, if it wasn't necessary then why would the U.S. side even have it? The point is you may have been able to bring the car over, but on the U.S. side they have no knowledge about it. Now whether or not you run into problems later when in the US is the determining factor (in all likelihood probably not). While others have gone through the steps as pointed out by RIV. I'm just telling them as it appears on RIV. They can make the choice of to how they want to import, but really would RIV list a step in a process to import that isn't necessary? If so, then someone in RIV really likes to wastes our time.

I see you are from Vancouver... where these people have been turned back, thats too bad for them. Every Province has their own rules/laws. I always hear people telling stories but its never from the people who actually went through it. it is always someone who said they 'heard' or saw it on google.
The person i bought my car from had the bill of sale 'notarized' and because he still owed money to the bank, I payed my money to the bank and they released the title to me. When I got to the border, I wasnt even there for 2 minutes. I gave the guy my passport, the title and bill of sale and he gave me a yellow paper to take into Canadian customs. I got into customs and I personally asked them if I was suppose to go to the american side first. They personally told me that only the US requires that, not Canada. I personally went thorugh that, Im not telling you to go look on google for my story.
If anyone was turned back, its because they didnt do their research and probably did not have the proper information to give to tge border.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:40 AM

Glad to see my fellow CDN's bringing up Evo IX and X up from the US. Here's my 2 cents, as for the US 72 hours export rule, that is regulated by the Americans. US Customs wants to make sure the car leaving the US isn't stolen, doesn't have liens or other illegal issues. What you do or do not do on the US side has no consequence with Canada Customs and vice verse. But while you're driving your just purchase Evo and lining up for the CDN border, and if you're so unfortunate to be stopped by US Customs while you are still on the US side, they have right to confiscate your car. To make things short, it doesn't matter which province you're in. Canada Customs is federal, not provincial, your got luck with the paperwork. As for RIV, after you submitted your online paperwork, a federal inspection letter should arrive within 2-4 weeks. Then you have 4 weeks to do the inspection from Crappy Tire. I imported my 06 SSL last May and loved it ever since. Don't see too many in Vancouver yet except AJ Racing white MR. Cheers!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All those who have successfully imported their EVO, all the power to you. But if you get your car confiscate on the way back, that suck for you!!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I move back to Toronto I was just planning on driving my Evo and parking it in my garage and dealing with this crap later. I was going to buy another Evo next year and make that a monster....not so sure I'm going to do that anymore.

I own my car free and clear. How do they do emissions in Toronto.....do they just do the computer test and thats it or do they put the sniffer on the exhaust?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Oh and I plan on driving through border and not stopping. I have American citizenship so I shouldn't get stopped.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

^GL with that.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
All those who have successfully imported their EVO, all the power to you. But if you get your car confiscate on the way back, that suck for you!!
If you send your registration, bill of sales, and the title to CBP 72 hours ahead to get the title stamped before importing, you shouldn't have problems coming back to the United States.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Thanks for the 4 year bump with that irrelevant comment.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 08:55 PM

Hey I have a few questions,
1) could any of those who imported to Canada give me an approximation on the cost of
duty, tax, riv fees etc. looking to spend 15000-22000usd I know exchange is bad right now but I am anxious.
2) how did you pay, Canadian cashiers cheque? cash? etc ( I plan to buy privately.)
3) I live near a border crossing with a storage facility, in order to miss little to no work, I assume I could store it for "the 72 hours" then go back across to pick it up and cross?
Old May 28, 2014, 01:45 PM

Sorry to revive this thread. Just wondering if anyone can answer this question. Does the tax paid on import vary based on where you live in Canada or where you cross the border?

I am hoping to pick up an EVO VIII for sale in New York. My cousins live right across the border in Quebec so I was going to cross there and make my way back to Alberta. Does this mean I have to pay Quebec provincial taxes even though I am from Alberta? In which case I would drive through US to Montana and cross there, or ship to Montana and pick up there.

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:10 AM

Quebec tax would have to be paid because that's your port of entry.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:01 PM

Just reading up on all this now... I've dreamed of owning an Evo 8 / 9 for a long time now... and I've finally decided 2015 was going to be the year! This thread has left me a broken man!

I looked on the inadmissibility this on Transport Canada's website and Evo's aren't listed any more...but I assume they wouldn't have relaxed the safety requirements.

I've definitely seen a few Evo's for sale on Auto Trader / Kijiji in Canada...are they all illegals then?

...please tell me I don't have to get a Subaru!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

ya they're legal
Tons around here! I have owned 2
Imported myself

Quick Reply: Importing an Evo into Canada (Merged because Dan is such a swell dude)