Notices
View Poll Results: Will you be attending the April 4th Sprint Booster Put up or Shut up Event?
Yes, I will be attending, I want to test this out in my Lancer or Evo.
38.89%
Yes, But I am just checking it out.
27.78%
Maybe
11.11%
No,
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

~ Sprint Booster: JRP's Put Up or Shut Up event - April 4th 2009

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
LOL, did you put the car on a dyno ? I know the answer -- no hp or tq gain....
they dont claim to give any gains though... its meant to increase throttle response.

its good for people with automatics
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rontam90
they dont claim to give any gains though... its meant to increase throttle response.

its good for people with automatics
Just use your right foot a bit differently and save $300 - 500....Or get it...Either way happy driving...
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just use your right foot a bit differently and save $300 - 500....Or get it...Either way happy driving...
there are two factors. the standard throttle controller and the software that governs the cvt. the sprint booster works well to counter both. remember the trans learns user input, with this mod it finally gets it right. its that good. believe me, I make no money or profit from this. it works wonders on throttle response . just try it and judge the worth for your self
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Don't bother, we've been through this before. It does the same thing your right foot is more than capable of but takes 300$ out of your wallet to do it. If people are happy with it though, good for them. I'm sure it increases throttle response in the lower pedal positions by amplifying the voltage signal.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

there are already a few of our members who have tried this, cvt and manual and all seem to swear by it. the skeptics that are knocking it don't seem to own one of these vehicles so how could you knock the product if you don't drive one to see where this car is lacking. The key is try it and if you see a difference then you may beg to differ. this is my first drive-by-wire vehicle and can see where it is lacking. Personally I'm not looking for massive hp or tq for my ride as a DD but when I want to go I don't want my car telling me " well I see you want 100% well I'm only going to give you 50%". as a continuation I have heard the different reactions from a few members and it really sparked my attention.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Here's the problem, the placebo effect. People claim to notice power gains with an 800$ muffler or a 400$ grounding kit/stabilizer, better handling with a 300$ titanium strut bar or a 1000$ spoiler while when you look at the evidence or simply examine how those products work, it's not possible. I have a drive by wire vehicle as well and have experienced throttle issues. However, those issues were not solved by increasing the sensor voltage going to the issue or by allowing me to go WOT throttle at a non-WOT pedal position. That is all this product is, it is all it advertises itself to be. It increases the voltage sent to the ECU thereby "tricking" the ECU into thinking you are pressing the pedal more than you are, nothing more. It's not magic, it's not a tune, it's just a voltage increaser. If you really want to make the car better, get a tune for 100$ using ECUflash.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

I agreed with the placebo effect. noticed it at the dyno day we had. not sure how accurate it was or not but i observed the dyno reading on screen.

the problem with the reflash is that by doing that you risk voiding a 160000km warranty key word being risk. sure you could flash back to original but then there's more $$ involved, and then if you want that back you'll have to go back and get the reflash again. Not sure how many people would want to deal with that. This is a simple method much like a piggy that tricks the ecu but can be removed and its original again. seems like a much more simple solution to me but that's just me.

sure the method above would be fine for those who say "i don't care about warranty" but for those of us who plan on keeping the car as long as possible with out risking warrant issues a simple plug in is a much more logical and cost effective solution. trust me i haven't installed any performance enhancing mods to my whip and really i don't plan to. This is my DD so a simple plug in that will allow me a little more control over a computer will be sufficient.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

True, a reflash does come with that drawback. Although if done right, a reflash is undetectable and not a problem but it does hinge on being able to find a tuner that you can trust.
My point is though that this product is not equivalent to a reflash, it simply amplifies the signal coming from the pedal position sensor so that what would normally be interpreted by the ECU as meaning "open the throttle plate 50%" is interpreted as "open the throttle plate 75%". It doesn't take any control over the ECU, it doesn't change any ECU parameters (whether directly or indirectly), it takes a voltage signal and makes it larger. If the maximum voltage is achievable by mashing the pedal, you're essentially paying 300$ for a product that lets you mash the pedal a fraction of a second faster. It won't solve the delay inherent to a CVT transmission anymore than brakes will give you power.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:16 PM

You "NAY SAYERS" don't get it - this SPRINT BOOSTER is to give you the same sensitivity that a cable controlled throttle does. I've owned cars since I was 16 years old - CABLED THROTTLES -- as the car gets old sometimes you gotta make adjustment to the cable to tighten it to get that sensitivity back - Coz of our electronic controlled throttle there is a delay between you stepping on that gas pedal and the butterfly in the throttle body opening up - even though by a second or seconds makes a difference to me. My 5 speed 2.4 lancer I learned to understand - no matter how heavy i've poked that gas pedal with my foot it's still not giving me the same feeling i've had with my long gone cars which are mechanically controlled. Remember "No" horses on this device its just brings back that cable throttle control feeling - faster go -- faster butterfly opening in the throttle. When you stepped on your gas pedal instead of BLLLIPPPPPP!!! with sprint booster your get BLIP!.
but I understand "TO SEE IS TO BELIEVE AND EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST TEACHER". Definitely will show up on April 4th - gotta see this thing in action -- Oh yah I also own a 2008 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo -7speed automatic- and i've read over and over again at the MB forum how well this product is received.

Last edited by johntango; Feb 28, 2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Again though, if all it does it boost the voltage, how can it truly make the car more sensitive? It's the same as putting your foot further down.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Again though, if all it does it boost the voltage, how can it truly make the car more sensitive? It's the same as putting your foot further down.
Honestly????? You gotta try and it see for yourself -- you can have all the knowledge on your head trying to make sense of this -- but the only thing that will tell you if it really works - is experiencing it -- Trust me i've done it over and over again.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Here's the problem, so far no one has explained how this product is worth the 300$ and how it is better than just moving the pedal further down, no one. If someone asks why new tires make a car handle better, you can logically tell them that they reduce sidewall flex, increase contact patch and by using a softer compound, increase the frictional interaction between the car and the road thereby allowing a higher speed (and thus a higher force) in a corner without slipping. If someone asks why a turbo makes power, you can tell them it compresses air, which in turns allows more air into a cylinder which increases the power of the combustion event, increasing the torque output of the car. How does this product work? It increases the voltage from the pedal sensor to the ECU. This also happens if you simply push the pedal further down.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.....It won't solve the delay inherent to a CVT transmission anymore than brakes will give you power.
This is incorrect, I will address this on multiple fronts and invite you to do a trial by fire to prove it wrong. The parameters used by INVECS-III are much more advanced than the previous two versions, and while Mitsubishi is not privy to disclosing on how it works exactly, they have more or less admitted to me off the record that it is entirely possible that such a devise will have an effect on CVT logic. lol it wasnt the clear cut answer I was looking for but it was an admission none the less. They also went beyond that by pointing out the possible negatives as well, for example, INVECS-III attempts to optimize the driving experience with Fuel Economy at the top of the list. So a more agressiving driving pattern will result in a drop in MPG. The simple answer is INVECS-III will adapt to the increase in "USER DEMAND". Now it doesnt drop everything and swing the bars to the side to all performance, but it will still feel like the CVT is not fighting with you. This is the claim that I have made consistently. This is not for me a question of performance or HP or more blah blah blah. I dont even care about cost, if it accomplishes what i am looking for and the cost doesnt blow past what I can afford then i will buy it.

Second thing is I must disagree with you on the Tune part. There are much higher costs for tuning. 100 dollars for tuning a Lancer is pretty attractive and if you can have someone recreate this result for that cheap then its a possibly. But I tend to show people options that tend not to permanently alter ones ECU. since its a one way street.

Cheers
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
This is incorrect, I will address this on multiple fronts and invite you to do a trial by fire to prove it wrong. The parameters used by INVECS-III are much more advanced than the previous two versions, and while Mitsubishi is not privy to disclosing on how it works exactly, they have more or less admitted to me off the record that it is entirely possible that such a devise will have an effect on CVT logic. lol it wasnt the clear cut answer I was looking for but it was an admission none the less. They also went beyond that by pointing out the possible negatives as well, for example, INVECS-III attempts to optimize the driving experience with Fuel Economy at the top of the list. So a more agressiving driving pattern will result in a drop in MPG. The simple answer is INVECS-III will adapt to the increase in "USER DEMAND". Now it doesnt drop everything and swing the bars to the side to all performance, but it will still feel like the CVT is not fighting with you. This is the claim that I have made consistently. This is not for me a question of performance or HP or more blah blah blah. I dont even care about cost, if it accomplishes what i am looking for and the cost doesnt blow past what I can afford then i will buy it.

Second thing is I must disagree with you on the Tune part. There are much higher costs for tuning. 100 dollars for tuning a Lancer is pretty attractive and if you can have someone recreate this result for that cheap then its a possibly. But I tend to show people options that tend not to permanently alter ones ECU. since its a one way street.

Cheers
How though, it doesn't interact with the CVT at all, all it could do is trick the ECU into thinking you are running WOT more thus resulting in a more aggressive tune/shifting, which can be accomplished by running with the pedal to the floor all the time.
I had my WRX stage 2 road tuned for 100$ cash. It took close to 2 hours of work. If you can find someone who knows their way around ECUflash, you're golden. You can easily reflash back to stock, it takes all of 15 minutes.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

i was driving G's car and only put my foot down a TINY bit and i was going. after i put a lill more pressure the wheels spun. that wouldnt b the case for my car...the sensitivity is truly increased.

ohh well...ANY skeptic people just wait and c on april 4th
dont doubt this product untill u've actually tried it. just give it ur point and b done with it.
thats y this is called the put up or shut up event right ammby?

Quick Reply: ~ Sprint Booster: JRP's Put Up or Shut Up event - April 4th 2009