Notices
View Poll Results: Would you drive to Buffalo and pay 1 hour labor for a ECUReflash ?
Yes,
44.00%
Yes, but I may just go aftermarket for a reflash.
20.00%
Maybe, Nevous about my warranty
32.00%
No, I am happy with the performance
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Canadian ECU Lancer 2008+ Self Recall efforts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd really like to see stock dyno sheets of the two versions to see what we are loosing...

If I can do anything to help evo_soul, just let me know!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:25 AM

I was in Hamilton Mitsubishi yesterday. I mentioned that my sst doesn't always seem to pick up sport/ssport mode even though console indicates it's entered that mode. He suggested I bring it back in and they can reflash for me... think I'll get US or CAN reflash?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IceFishingLad
I was in Hamilton Mitsubishi yesterday. I mentioned that my sst doesn't always seem to pick up sport/ssport mode even though console indicates it's entered that mode. He suggested I bring it back in and they can reflash for me... think I'll get US or CAN reflash?
The EVO X flash is 100% good in terms of performance potential. We had our dyno day and the EVO X Cold Air test was great. actually it blew the doors of the expectations.

It would be cheaper for you to go to the Canadian Dealership and get your flash there. since it maybe covered on our normal Canadian Warranty.

The matter for the lancer is much much different. Our ECU is design to be non aggressive. Which hampers our performance potential. I will post a Dyno Day Sheet to prove what i mean.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

I have posted a dyno sheet showing the problem

http://www.evosoul.com/blog/?page_id=346
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:12 PM

Do you think this ECU issue would apply to the 2.4l models as well?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bootx2
Do you think this ECU issue would apply to the 2.4l models as well?
i would say its highly likely . i have so far rented 6 hours on the dyno and concluded that the the 2.0L is officially drugged lol.

Odds say that its highly likely that the 2.4 has the same ECU problem with performance.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:38 PM
Former Sponsor

I do have one concern. That if their ECU software is likely computer software updating, then their may be a requirement by the software to confirm what it is updating. If the ECU software works like that then the software may not allow a USA Technician to update the firmware. If thats the case then we will have a problem. I have lightly spoke with Pete over at WORKs about this issue and he has been great with providing some of the answers I need. In the end I am certain that if Mitsu doesnt have a solution. Works will support the Maple Leaf people lol
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:06 PM

It's good to know that if mitsu can't/won't do anything about it, then WORKS is willing to work something out for us. Thanks a lot evo_soul for putting so much effort into this.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:35 PM

thanks for your effort in looking into this evo_soul - i'm sure everyone here appreciates all your work.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:53 PM

nice work evosoul,

but i must say i didnt expect you guys to be so surprised over this. im on your side 100% in that it seems somewhat "unfair" to the canadian owners and is somewhat, for a lack of a better word, gay. but it is not uncommon for different parts of the world to get different spec cars. i'm sure if you put this much effort and time into doing this for all production cars, you'd probably find a lot of differences across the spectrum of automobiles.

just my
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Everyone I have talked to from big name shops said they have never seen this before. Spec for spec hardware wise the ECUs are the same, the programing is for lack of a better word, "fudged" in some way. The behavour of the ECU is not inline with something out to run in a more environmentally friendly manner. I dont want to ring too many alarms on this but intitial testing already starting to show evidence that the ECU maybe detuned as well as "performance challenged" Its a big change but still. lol worth noting

Originally Posted by rontam90
nice work evosoul,

but i must say i didnt expect you guys to be so surprised over this. im on your side 100% in that it seems somewhat "unfair" to the canadian owners and is somewhat, for a lack of a better word, gay. but it is not uncommon for different parts of the world to get different spec cars. i'm sure if you put this much effort and time into doing this for all production cars, you'd probably find a lot of differences across the spectrum of automobiles.

Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:34 AM

Evo_soul, I plan to get the Works re-flash done this summer. Will I still face this problem and will it interfere with the WORKS reflash? or the current WORKS ECUflash will eliminate the problem present in the CDN stock ECU upon flashing?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:09 AM

has there been anymore information on this?.. would there be any difference because of our canadian ecu's if i were to get the RRM piggyback or the Works flash?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 04:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by canadian-marine
has there been anymore information on this?.. would there be any difference because of our canadian ecu's if i were to get the RRM piggyback or the Works flash?
The most up to date *unofficial word from Japan. Is yes there is a difference, the Canadian spec ECU differs from the USA spec.

The nature is unknown

Another note about the performance, it seems that upgrades arent rendered mute, say for example an intake or other bolt on. There is gain. But the two main questions are, how much of again? and why does it take so long for these gains to show up in dyno runs.

I have now spent a mini fortune in Dyno testing, Bribes for information, and more testing, and it seems that it takes an exceptionally long time for changes to reflected. Same thing goes for losses,
WORKS has briefly looked at the Canadian ECU and noticed strange things like we did on the dyno.

For gains, you put mods on, and run the car again, ZIP.... you can reset the battery, but even the factory reset learning process doesnt act "normal"

Same thing happens in reverse. you add an intake or some other mod, and you restore it back to stock, and dyno it again, same curve. It makes you stand back and say WTF.

That said, WORKs (engineering dept) is committed to researching this further if Mitsu fails to address the issue.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Keep up the good work evo_soul!

Let us know if you need anything! I'm sure lots of us are willing to help and get to the bottom of all this!

Quick Reply: Canadian ECU Lancer 2008+ Self Recall efforts