Notices

Importing an evo 9 into canada

Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look on CL, there are quite a few posted for sale in the Greater Vancouver Area.

but if you are dead serious about one outside canada, GL with the process. Keep us posted!

FYI that there is a Canadian Section here, a lot of us have posted there regarding personal experiences with the process
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:56 PM

I just purchased an 06 EVO9 GSR from a guy who brought it up from Chicago just a few weeks ago (I'm in Winnipeg)

I think the only big thing to pass the safety inspection was day time running lights.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:03 AM

yep i bought it and yep.. its originally from cali lol gotta get used to the miles being bigger then the kms on the speedo. but i'll adjust
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:39 AM

i find the hard part is after driving the Evo for a while you get in a vehicle thats in KM/h's... i was paying attention to the small numbers like i do in the Evo, and found myself doing like 80/90 km/h in a 50 zone lol.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

can some one do a write up on how they did the DRL's? this will help a pontential future evo owner out. list what parts you need and steps to do the wiring stuff done.

i went through a broker thinking i needed a lot of parts to be driven the evo in bc legally. it turns out it was just a DRL....
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by josel_atr
can some one do a write up on how they did the DRL's? this will help a pontential future evo owner out. list what parts you need and steps to do the wiring stuff done.

i went through a broker thinking i needed a lot of parts to be driven the evo in bc legally. it turns out it was just a DRL....
not to hard, I just tapped the wire into the ignition and had it attached to my fogs. If you're doing it yourself make sure you use wireloom and make it as clean looking as possible. The guys at my local Canadian Tire (Marine and Byrne) were pretty chill, unfortunately I didn't loom it so I ended up doing that in the parking lot. Ended up yanking out the DRLs right after the inspection. Havent had an issue with the cops yet.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by BrendanS
not to hard, I just tapped the wire into the ignition and had it attached to my fogs. If you're doing it yourself make sure you use wireloom and make it as clean looking as possible. The guys at my local Canadian Tire (Marine and Byrne) were pretty chill, unfortunately I didn't loom it so I ended up doing that in the parking lot. Ended up yanking out the DRLs right after the inspection. Havent had an issue with the cops yet.

I was the same way haha.. i ripped mine out in the parkinglot... after thr RIV was faxed i asked the tech to borrow wire cutters... and cut it all out lol. the look on his face was funny
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

I imported mine myself.

No need to pay for those broker that charge you too much...

Like the others said, RIV as all the information

The guy I bought it from was kind enough too let me drive it home.
You can ask for a transit when buying from a dealer (30 days)

Always's make sure theres no lien on the car and have the bank records in hands.
Make your recall appointments. Had mine directly at my Montreal dealer for the useless gross weight sticker.
The car stays 3 days at the border for the US custom to clear the title.
You call ROLL at the canadian border, pay the 1 tax, +6%, +100$ A/C tax. and have 45 days too make the repairs for inspection.

After Canandian inspection. (ridiculous)
After provincial inspection(a lot more details)

PAy the provincial tax and finally the plate.

All in all you get , like we say in french (FOURRÉ) or F****%$?&%, royally by the 2 txs, the 6%(the car is made in Japan) and the RIV and inspection etc etc.

AS a rule of thumbs pay at least 10K less than a car in Canada and its a good deal... paid mine 10K soo....

hope it helps

Last edited by PoloTurbo; Nov 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by duranvw
I just purchased an 06 EVO9 GSR from a guy who brought it up from Chicago just a few weeks ago (I'm in Winnipeg)

I think the only big thing to pass the safety inspection was day time running lights.
Lol you bought it off my good friend Gary . Nice car indeed.