Notices

Vancouver Island Poker Run 2011 - 2nd Annual Charity Event

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Special deal on the rooms up at Mt Washington will be available. I am working with the accomodations people up there to get a special deal on rooms for the Poker Run and Banquet. They have agreed to special pricing however rooms must be booked through Slopeside Accommodations (Cathy or Pam are the contacts). I have not confirmed the pricing amount yet but am expecting to hear back from them shortly. I should also be able to confirm a menu shortly as well.

Signup looks promising. The Datsun Enthusiasts club has jumped onboard big time and want to help out with the event. They are helping to round up more sponsorship and are starting to sign up people. The president of the club will be attending. This is great news.

Keep it up!

[/B]

Last edited by DDonovan; Mar 13, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:44 AM

Pre-Registration as of Friday March 4th:

Cars: 47
People: 74

Last edited by DDonovan; Mar 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 03:06 PM

For the Poker Run prizes I am going to base this on my projected numbers of 50 cars and 80 people:

Poker Run Prizes would be as follows:

Highest Hand ==> $500.00
Second High Hand ==> $350.00
Third High Hand ==> $150.00

* These will go up as attendence goes up.

There will also be silent auction items at the event. Tickets for the silent auction will be in $5.00, $10.00, and $25.00 increments. This means that the most you would pay for any one item would be $25.00. People purchase the tickets in the numeration that they wish. Items are placed on a table with a minimum bid in the amounts above. So less expensive items would be in a $5.00 category, and more expensive items would be in the $25.00 category and so on.

After a nice Banquet dinner we select the auction winners, select the Poker Hand winners, and the rest of the evening we have a bar and a Classic Rock Band. The Band is going to be very informal in that they are going to play and if you want to come up and sing or join in a jam session you can. If you wish to dance you can. If you just wish to sit and listen to the band, you can.

The Poker Run itself will take about 3.5 hours to complete depending on which group you decide to cruz with (scenic or the faster crowd). Rooms are available at a discounted rate. Event is setup so anyone from the Mainland can do it in one day and not have to spend the night.

Great people, great cause and great cars! Our sponsors will be putting on little events as we pull into the assortment of check spots which are still being drawn up.

If anyone knows of any businesses that would like to sponsor the event with either some auction items, freebies, or a cash donation please contact me. If you would like to make a cash donation either because you can't attend or you want to throw in a little extra, again please contact me and THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Hope to see you out there. Can't wait to see the assortment of cars. Stay tuned for a list of auction items and I will be putting up a Web Site to keep the sponsor information on.

As for deadlines:
- must confirm your attendance = 2 months in advance (Mid June).
- must have money in for tickets = 1 month before the event (Mid July).
- drop dead date = First week of August.

Remember that I am using the numbers to estimate prizes, inform sponsors so they know how many to expect if they are a checkpoint, to arrange a facility up at Mt Washington that accommodates all of us, and to estimate food costs. If we get out at least 60 people, the costs at Mt Washington are cut pretty much in half making more money available for the charity (Camp Shawnigan for disabled children).

Thanks again for all you early registrations. If you wish to go ahead and pay for your tickets contact me and we can setup a method of payment.

Dave Donovan
Poker Run 2011 Organizer

Last edited by DDonovan; Mar 13, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i find it weird i'm the only one from EvoM singed up
Old Mar 8, 2011, 05:38 PM

Me too, bring some friends! I would like to see more Evo's for sure.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:00 PM

Note recieved from one of our sponsors ..., This is truely great news! Sokha is a manager over at The Honda Way in Abbotsford..., once again this year they are jumping on the sponsorship for the Poker Run in a very big way...,

Hey Dave,

Just a heads up that The Honda Way will be participating once again in EPIC PROPORTIONS as we did last year. We gave out a few Vegas Trips and the Alan Berg Racing School in Alberta.

This is our commitment to the S2k community and the children that Dave can with all our help send to camp. Let this be the unofficial Yes as I begin to hit the drawing board with Brian and Pat from The Honda Way. As usual, you will be hearing from Dave and myself in terms of what contributions we will be expecting!

FYI for any of you who was able to make it to our Show n Shine last year, our dealership with your help was able to raise $3,800 for Canuck Place! That is awesome what we can achieve when we all come together to make things happen!

Also, I will be contacting the winners of last years prizes to see if they can provide any pictures so that we may be able to put them on our facebook page. (winners of the Vegas and Alan Berg racing School)

On a side note, we have a lot full of amazing Ap1 and Ap2s on our lot that need new homes. Please feel free to Contact me by PM or 778-999-9164.

Thanks in advance guys! Dave you will hear from me shortly!

Drive safe!

Sokha
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:08 PM

We just hit 50 cars ..., keep them coming. - As of Sunday March 13 7:30pm

If you signed up and don't see your name here or you need something corrected, please fire me a PM.

Responses (Interested in attending):

Cars: 50
People: 78

Last edited by DDonovan; Mar 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:35 PM

Pre-registration as of Friday March 18 - 9:30pm

Cars: 51
People: 79

Last edited by DDonovan; Mar 25, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:16 PM

Just recieved confirmation on the cost of rooms up at Mt Washington resort, for those intending on spending the evening:

Lodge room in Deer for $99 + taxes
Range is $99-$189 (3 bedroom)

"Best to call
250-338-4383 or toll free 1-877-845-4499, and please ask them to be
consistent with who they say they are with - I think last year we had a
few different names floating around. Poker Run participant?"
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:59 PM

Sign me up please! Canadian-Ix, Rob, co driver Roger
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Canadian-Ix
Sign me up please! Canadian-Ix, Rob, co driver Roger
Thanks guys..., I have you on the main list over at S2Ki.

Dave
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:47 PM

Registration is going great! Thanks everyone.

Pre-Registration as of March 25th @ 4:30pm

Cars: 55
People: 86

Last edited by DDonovan; Apr 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice to see someone else from evom lol

when do we have to pay by?

i won't know till the end of may what my work schedule is for august
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:03 AM

I wouldn't need to know for sure till about 2 months out so I would need commitment around June.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:18 PM

Tickets include a banquet dinner, entrance fee into the Poker Run, entertainment after dinner, and raffle of items donated by sponsors, with the remainder of your money going directly to sending disabled and terminally ill children to summer camp. I am very impressed how people have stepped up to be involved in this worthy cause..., I thank you.

List as of April 1st at noon.

Cars: 57
People: 89

Last edited by DDonovan; Apr 8, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Vancouver Island Poker Run 2011 - 2nd Annual Charity Event