Notices

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Driving

Hey guys,

Just wondering, cause this is my very first winter with the evo, is having winter tires and anti rust from Mitsubishi all I need or is there anything else?

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163138

I read this thread too talking about AYC pump, which I don't get what they can do to "extra protect" it other then spraying with anti rust too.

Also do you guys recommend I get the warranty for anti rust from the dealership?

Thank you in advance!!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I wouldnt buy any extra stuff from the stealership. Just get a good rust preventative applied to the underside of the car and buy a good set of winter tires. Id also recommend washing the car weekly to make sure you remove as much of the salt off of it as you can on a continuous basis.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Good rust proofing helps a lot. Underbody at minimum, something like KROWN is ideal. The ACD/ayc pump on your car is right behind the rear wheel and gets a crap ton of snow and dirt kicked right at it. Rust proofing may not be enough to protect it. There are shields I believe that are available to protect it though.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by deeman101
Good rust proofing helps a lot. Underbody at minimum, something like KROWN is ideal. The ACD/ayc pump on your car is right behind the rear wheel and gets a crap ton of snow and dirt kicked right at it. Rust proofing may not be enough to protect it. There are shields I believe that are available to protect it though.

What`s the shield called do you know?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
I wouldnt buy any extra stuff from the stealership. Just get a good rust preventative applied to the underside of the car and buy a good set of winter tires. Id also recommend washing the car weekly to make sure you remove as much of the salt off of it as you can on a continuous basis.

I was also thinking too, I'd take it to a touchless car wash weekly (snow or no snow) but then again I was thinking at 0 degrees here in toronto, will the anti rust stick on the metal? yet alone wash off when washing the car?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:37 PM

Does anyone know if any of the local shops here in Mississauga/toronto/oakville do a relocation for AYC/ACD in the trunk service?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166826

You'll find the shield in that thread. ACD relocation to the trunk is another option.

The rust proofing actually sticks way better when its cold. When it warms up you'll see it seeping out of every seam because the heat thins it out. Its actually pretty hard to wash it off the underside of the car even in the summer but thats why its recommended to do it every fall. Makes the car look dirty but can't argue with its protection. I've been doing it for 4 years but I skipped last year and in the spring I definitely saw the surface rust and was already fighting with rusted endlinks / suspension bolts. Toronto is the WORST for the type of spray salt they use. Gentler on the roads but rapes the crap out of cars.

Last edited by deeman101; Dec 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by deeman101
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166826

You'll find the shield in that thread. ACD relocation to the trunk is another option.

The rust proofing actually sticks way better when its cold. When it warms up you'll see it seeping out of every seam because the heat thins it out. Its actually pretty hard to wash it off the underside of the car even in the summer but thats why its recommended to do it every fall. Makes the car look dirty but can't argue with its protection. I've been doing it for 4 years but I skipped last year and in the spring I definitely saw the surface rust and was already fighting with rusted endlinks / suspension bolts. Toronto is the WORST for the type of spray salt they use. Gentler on the roads but rapes the crap out of cars.

Yea I'm not surprised, they will do anything to save themselves money and cause us to spend more so they get more tax lol.

I am really leaning on getting a relocation kit just a bit worried cause I haven't heard too many people having it. Are you planning on gettig a relocation kit?

Has your ayc/acd pump been ok this entire 4 years? Have you done anything other then the anti rust to protect it? Who did you do the anti rust with? Sorry for the many questions lol just really scared about driving this car in the winter :P
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

I have an evo8 so my ACD pump is up front behind the front left bumper hole. Better than getting stuff directly kicked at it by a tire but they do corrode and fail as well. Relocation is the safest way.

I just did rust proofing with KROWN lakeshore cause the guys there are into cars and actually care to do a good job. And every spring I get under my car to change oil/drivetrain fluid anyways and I check for surface rust and brush it off / treat it with rust check. Same with underhood. The stuff they spray somehow makes it look like even plastic it rusting. If you're very ocd u can treat the aluminum parts (suspension, exposed head and block, ac lines, brake and clutch masters and abs module) with a cleaner in the spring cause otherwise they oxidize bad with the salt spray.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:52 PM

First year with my EVO IX in Winter driving conditions. Had Krown protection applied at local Krown authorized dealership. I was impressed with their product. Fairly good investment if you want to keep your EVO in good condition.

We don't have much snow/salty roads in West coast but alot of rain.

One down side to Krown is that it keeps dripping whenever it gets warm. But according to Krown its normal and no biggie, it washes off fairly easily. I would recommend getting Krown. They do offer like a 2 year warranty if any rust forms, I believe they want you to go back every 2 years or so to re-apply their product for best result.