Notices

Showing off my "NEW" Evo 8...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Showing off my "NEW" Evo 8...

Hi guys,

Sorry, but I just have to brag for a second...

Just before I left Montreal on Tuesday, I got under the Evo 8 and installed a Buschur 3" downpipe and high-flow cat. I already had Bushur's cat-back exhaust...so it's now a complete 3" Turbo-back system. Then I stuck on Buschur's open-filter air intake. The car sounded great (you can really hear the BOV now), but there was no real power increase that I could feel.

Today, I took the car to a well-respected DSM/Evo tuner in central New Jersey (called TurboTrix). They stabilized the boost at 21psi using a Hallman MBC (it used to taper down to 15-16psi after peaking at 19-20psi) and remapped the ECU.

The baseline run showed 230 hp and 235 lbs/ft at the wheels on their 4WD chassis dyno. Assuming a very conservative 16% for drivetrain loss, this comes out to 274 hp and 280 lbs/foot at the crank...which is right in line with what claims as the power output for a stock Evo 8.

After several dyno pulls and a bunch of ECU remaps, we finally ended up with 287 hp and 281 lbs/ft at the wheels. Assuming the same 16% drivetrain loss, this works out to 342 hp and 334 lbs/ft at the crank. And this was at 96 degrees F ambient temp and 30% humidity! I used Sunoco 94 octane. So the car is basically up to the UK market Evo 8 FQ-340 specification.

It's pretty sick and I'm very excited right now! Sorry...but I just had to show off. I can't wait to hit Mosport in September.

Emre
Old Aug 28, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's so sick man, congrats
Old Aug 28, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dr Crash
that's so sick man, congrats
Thanks, man! I can't tell you how excited I am right now. I can't wait to hit Mosport.

Emre
Old Aug 28, 2004, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Actually a turbo-back eliminates the cat

Nice numbers though, gives me a rough idea as to what my car 'should' be putting out.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Hi guys,

Sorry, but I just have to brag for a second...

Just before I left Montreal on Tuesday, I got under the Evo 8 and installed a Buschur 3" downpipe and high-flow cat. I already had Bushur's cat-back exhaust...so it's now a complete 3" Turbo-back system. Then I stuck on Buschur's open-filter air intake. The car sounded great (you can really hear the BOV now), but there was no real power increase that I could feel.

Today, I took the car to a well-respected DSM/Evo tuner in central New Jersey (called TurboTrix). They stabilized the boost at 21psi using a Hallman MBC (it used to taper down to 15-16psi after peaking at 19-20psi) and remapped the ECU.

The baseline run showed 230 hp and 235 lbs/ft at the wheels on their 4WD chassis dyno. Assuming a very conservative 16% for drivetrain loss, this comes out to 274 hp and 280 lbs/foot at the crank...which is right in line with what claims as the power output for a stock Evo 8.

After several dyno pulls and a bunch of ECU remaps, we finally ended up with 287 hp and 281 lbs/ft at the wheels. Assuming the same 16% drivetrain loss, this works out to 342 hp and 334 lbs/ft at the crank. And this was at 96 degrees F ambient temp and 30% humidity! I used Sunoco 94 octane. So the car is basically up to the UK market Evo 8 FQ-340 specification.

It's pretty sick and I'm very excited right now! Sorry...but I just had to show off. I can't wait to hit Mosport in September.

Emre

What else do you have besides the filter, bov, downpipe, and exhuast?
Old Aug 29, 2004, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by [Cyanide]
I dunno. I've heard the term used differently. What I mean is that everything from the turbo back to the tailpipe (downpipe, cat, muffler, etc.) has been replaced. Now it's a full 3" system from the turbo to the tailpipe, including a high-flow cat.

Originally Posted by D-Evil 8
What else do you have besides the filter, bov, downpipe, and exhuast?
The only parts I've replaced are the intake and exhaust. I haven't done a BOV. The stock DV is still in place. But the open filter makes it sound like a BOV. The guys at TurboTrix did add an inexpensive Hallman MBC ($60) to stabilize the boost.

Emre
Old Aug 29, 2004, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Did you just get flashed? Or did they tune you using an S-AFC or something else?
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Did you just get flashed? Or did they tune you using an S-AFC or something else?
They reflashed the ECU using the OBD-2 diagnostic port. So they not only played with the air-fuel map, but also adjusted timing. You can't really do that with an S-AFC.

The amazing thing is my fuel economy. My car was running pig rich from the factory. The reflash added about 100miles of highway range to the tank! I used to get about 200-220 miles out of a tank of gas. I just drove from NYC to Montreal (approx 375 miles door-to-door). I got about 300 miles out of a tank of Sunoco 93. Amazing!

Emre
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Wow you drove to TurboTrix just to get tuned?

I live in Buffalo and I don't even wanna do that...

Oh & how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking...

I have practically the same mods you have.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Wow you drove to TurboTrix just to get tuned?
It's not as crazy as it sounds. My folks live in northern New Jersey and I was visiting them anyway. I was only about an hour's drive to central Jersey.

Oh & how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking...
They have a flat fee of $450 USD for an ECU re-flash, which includes a baseline dyno run and as many more dyno runs as necessary. We only needed around 5 runs for my car. But there was a guy there that got a lot more.

I have practically the same mods you have.
My mods are pretty common. I had researched what mods they were using on the UK-market "FQ" series and tried to duplicate them. My car is basically up to FQ-340 specs right now. Drivability is as good as stock. No start-up or idle trouble, nice smooth power delivery, no coughs/sputters, etc. No one would be able to tell it was tuned (it doesn't have that "tuner car" feel).

The big surprise is that fuel economy is hugely improved. I used to get 200-220 miles out of a tank of Sunoco 94. Now I have a 300 mile range. Just amazing.

Emre
Old Aug 30, 2004, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

The "Gentlemen" at turbotrix definately know what they are doing
Old Aug 30, 2004, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Turbotrix is Awesome .
Old Aug 30, 2004, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Actually NO it doesn't.

I have a 3" TURBO BACK exhaust the retains the factory cat.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have your car registered in Canada? Last time I checked the Evo is not eligible for importation...
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:28 PM

His Evo is registered in NJ.