EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Canadian Forum (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/canadian-forum-63/)
-   -   '04 EVO in calgary, where to get a tune? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/canadian-forum/523151-04-evo-calgary-where-get-tune.html)

403evo Nov 3, 2010 11:38 PM

'04 EVO in calgary, where to get a tune?

hey guys, i own a 2004 evolution VIII gsr. currently tuned for 93, calgary only has 94.

im on my 3rd turbo, 1st (evo IX turbo) came loose after clutch change and bit the dust. 2nd (back to stock VIII) blew, reason unknown but probably carbon build up. (gf put in 2 tanks of 87...) and now i just had another IX turbo get put in. getting my car out soon, tired of it being in the shop. need a tune.

Long story short: where in this evo foresaken land can i get a decent tune?

fightex Nov 4, 2010 12:48 AM

i had Airboy (well known tuner in the Subaru community; tuned at Rocket Rally as well) fine tune my unfinished Mellon tune (long story and its not Mellon's fault). i'm very happy with the results.

he recently just set up a Dyno Dynamics in Cowtown, give him a shout airboy123@gmail.com, his name is Sunny.

fightex Nov 4, 2010 12:52 AM

otherwise you can always get an email tune, provided you have a tatrix cable (1.3 is all you need), a laptop (Evoscan/ECUflash) and a o2 wideband.

Iveytune, Jestr, Mellon, 4ws, AMS etc. are all well email known tuners. i'd do some research on each and decide from there {thumbup}

josel_atr Nov 4, 2010 07:14 AM

that sucks op.

i would look into getting an emailed tune as well. the above post mentioned known tuners. i recommend English Racing, as they provide emailed tunes and they are simply the best out there IMO.

GL

403evo Nov 4, 2010 09:09 PM

not looking to get into tuning myself, i tend to have cancer hands and break everything i touch.

and i talked to rocket rally a while ago and from what i remember they wanted me to buy their software to tune my car... plus thats like a 6-7 hour road trip. where can i go to learn anything and everything about e-mail tunes or tuning it myself.

also, where can i go to buy the needed items for tuning it myself?

sorry if these are noob questions but this isnt my neck of the woods.

fightex Nov 4, 2010 10:38 PM

i'd just wait until a Tactrix v1.3 pops up in the private Evo FS section, they usually go for about $100.

Evoscan is $20 and you can purchase that online

wideband... you can buy that anywhere. Innovate LM2 would probably be one of the most popular. it goes for maybe ~$200 used?

do some research and talk to one of the tuners and they'll send you a base map. then you flash your car with it (with the ecuflash/laptop) then log the appropriate parameters with the wideband/evoscan.

then send back logs to the tuner, he'll review them and you repeat the process until the tune is perfected.

that or you can go see Sunny, hes so well known that Rocket Rally even hired him to tune for them. and he doesn't charge $1000 per custom tune like Rocket Rally does.

good luck

Rands Nov 5, 2010 01:46 AM

You should give Cam from Light Speed Innovations up in Red Deer a call. I got him to tune my EVO X.

josel_atr Nov 5, 2010 07:20 AM

holy smokes, $1000 for a "custom tune"?!?!?! you can buy a lot of power mods for that amount of money!

English Racing charged me $300 for a dyno tune, then $160 for retunes since i am already in their system. It was a 10 hour drive for me back and forth but its all worth it. I would factor a couple tanks of gas for the trip too.

4doorj Nov 5, 2010 08:03 PM

You can get 94 octane from husky. That's where I get mine from.

vince126 Nov 5, 2010 08:25 PM

Professionally tuned by English Racing = $300

knowing that your car wont explode because you got a pro to do it = Priceless

robinsmark Nov 10, 2010 12:14 PM

I'd have to give a thumbs up to Sunny aswell. He tuned a number of Evo's while at Rocket Rally and has done a few here in Cowtown too, mine and the wife's included. Certainly worth sending him an e-mail.

Husky/Mohawk for 94 in Calgary......I think all of them stock 94 these days.

brenner Nov 10, 2010 12:16 PM

jay at www.boostedtuning.com

he helped me out big time, you will not be dissappointed.

403evo Nov 10, 2010 10:48 PM

i got my numbers backwards. its tuned for 93 and all calgary has thats close is 94. my bad.

im gonna call up cam in red deer here soon, probably come monday. i plan on going down to english racing in the spring to change out my timing belt, add some new parts and get a real tune.

thanks. ill update once i get it done

4doorj Nov 11, 2010 09:12 PM

Even if you have it backwards, wouldn't running 94 on a 93 tuned car safe?
Everyone in calgary running stage 2 on a evo x is running 94 no problem. And stage 2 requires 93 on the site.
If anything wouldn't it make it safer?

robinsmark Nov 12, 2010 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 4doorj (Post 8830470)
Even if you have it backwards, wouldn't running 94 on a 93 tuned car safe?
Everyone in calgary running stage 2 on a evo x is running 94 no problem. And stage 2 requires 93 on the site.
If anything wouldn't it make it safer?

^^This.

However, getting a decent tune is never going to be a bad idea and would re-iterate my suggestion of contacting Sunny. I stopped by his place yesterday and his new Dyno Dynamics unit is all set up and running nicely.