EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Cobb AccessPORT (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/cobb-accessport-340/)
-   -   Cobb Accessport Newbie Questions (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/cobb-accessport/594818-cobb-accessport-newbie-questions.html)

nismo2evox Jan 24, 2012 01:26 PM

Cobb Accessport Newbie Questions

Hi all,

I have a new stock 2011 Evo X GSR and am thinking of buying a Cobb Accessport but have a few questions before I pull the trigger. (looking for the most factual "Mitsubishi/Cobb" answers, then speculation or other solutions if there are no "real" answers)

Thanks!

1) Will using the Access Port (Stage 1 flash) with no other modifications void my warranty?

2) Can a dealer tell a car has been reflashed if I reset to the stock mapping before every service visit?

3) Have you encountered any problems with Access Port tunes for stock Evo Xs? I Especially with regards to extremely cold weather?

4) If I can only get 91 octane gas, do I have to reflash back to stock until most of the tank runs dry? (I live in Mass and will be using 93 octane)

5) How long does each reflash take? (Minutes/hours?)

6) Is the Access Port user friendly (plug and play)? I have no experience with tuning, electronics, or anything else (I'm an accountant....).

7) When do you estimate the release of the full (non-beta) version of Access Port for the 2011 Evo X GSRs?

8) Are the aproximate power gains really 19.3% hp and 9% torque (meaning .193 X 291 = 56 hp gain) or 19 hp and 9 torque gain = 310 hp gain?

-if it is really the %'s that is very impresive, even if it is based off power to the wheels as opposed to the crank.

9) Approximiately how much would it cost to pay a professional shop to install the stage 2 kit from Cobb?

- Can I use 91 octane with this kit if 93 is not available with this kit? (and would I have to flash to a special map since it would be 91 octane and no longer with stock parts)

- Is it a better deal to get the stage 2 kit from Cobb since the $2,240 comes with the $600 Accessport included in the price? (or get the AP first then buy the stage 2 kit after if I choose to do so)

10) Do I have to leave the AP plugged in while driving? (or do I just flash, unplug, and throw in the glovebox?)

Additional info if it is helpful:

I will not mod the car other than the Accessport reflashes unless I buy the complete stage 2 kit directly from Cobb and have it professionally installed.

I plan on using the stage 1 tune due to having access to 93 octane gas here in Mass.

I drive the car pretty hard and will do some auto cross with it.

I will not be getting the Accessport until Cobb releases the regular (non-beta) version for the 2011s

Thanks fellas

Kracka Jan 24, 2012 01:57 PM

Alright, here we go!

1. Not with a reasonable dealership.
2. Dealer no, an actual Mitsu ECU engineer yes (this won't happen).
3. BakaUnchi (Cobb's lead Mitsu calibrator) did a great job designing them. LWG versions of the maps may be needed in ultra cold weather.
4. Use the 91-octane version of the map.
5. The first one takes a few minutes, once the AP is married to the ECU they take seconds.
6. Yes, very. Do you have a smartphone? If so, your handheld ability is about 10 years beyond what it takes to operate the AP.
7. They're only called beta since Cobb doesn't offer full international support yet, the USDM ROM's are done and can be considered regular release.
8. The stated % increase claims are based on crank numbers.
9a. I believe Cobb quoted a local near me $400 to install the Stage 2 kit.
9b. If you must use 91 octane with a 93 tune you can, just be gentle with your right foot and stay out of boost if possible.
9c. Add up the individual parts costs on Cobb's website (you're an accountant, get to it!).
10. No, it does not need to remain plugged in. I keep my AP and cable in my office closet. Many do keep it in their glovebox while some leave it plugged in to monitor boost, etc.

I hope this helps, you owe me a :beer:

fast08 Jan 24, 2012 04:27 PM

Wow.. I thought people are just going to ask OP to search :) Kudos to Kracka {thumbup}

S2K2EVO Jan 24, 2012 07:57 PM

I did too nice response Kracka.

nismo2evox Jan 25, 2012 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 9913891)
Alright, here we go!

3. BakaUnchi (Cobb's lead Mitsu calibrator) did a great job designing them. LWG versions of the maps may be needed in ultra cold weather.
5. The first one takes a few minutes, once the AP is married to the ECU they take seconds.
6. Yes, very. Do you have a smartphone? If so, your handheld ability is about 10 years beyond what it takes to operate the AP.
7. They're only called beta since Cobb doesn't offer full international support yet, the USDM ROM's are done and can be considered regular release.
9b. If you must use 91 octane with a 93 tune you can, just be gentle with your right foot and stay out of boost if possible.
9c. Add up the individual parts costs on Cobb's website (you're an accountant, get to it!).
10. No, it does not need to remain plugged in. I keep my AP and cable in my office closet. Many do keep it in their glovebox while some leave it plugged in to monitor boost, etc.

Hell I'll buy you 2! Thank you so much. I emailed Cobb last night as well and got a response from Stephen. Both of your answers are more or less word for word. Makes me feel even more comfortable that they have good customer support as they got back to me within a few hours by email.

I am completely sold on this product. Thanks again!

Edit: The more comfortable I am getting the more enthusiastic I am to go with the complete Stage 2 kit. Has anyone had experience going this route (Only Cobb products and reflashes)? Looks like the double exhaust tips will still fit neatly under the stock bumper. Any issues with this? Is the increase in power over the Stage 1 tune very noticable, along with the sound of the upgraded exhausts?

Thanks

Slipped6th Jun 2, 2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 9913891)
Alright, here we go!

Thank you, even though I am not the OP. Searching and finding this helped me out greatly! Apparently I owe you a beer as well. Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread. :mitsu:

bhlewis81 Jun 7, 2013 12:33 PM

Any issues with a 2013 getting it tuned?

COBB Tuning Jun 7, 2013 01:17 PM

You shouldn't have any issues tuning the 2013 Evos. Accesstuner support has been released for some time now. We actually finished up development work on a 2013 MR this week and have a GSR coming in on Monday. Hoping to finally have OTS maps in release firmware by the end of this month!

Marshall@COBB

Kracka Jun 7, 2013 01:17 PM

^I'm guessing that MR was WalkerD's car!

Rbenkemeadow Jun 12, 2013 03:05 PM

Can you adjust fuel with the Cobb tuner?

Thanks

COBB Tuning Jun 12, 2013 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rbenkemeadow (Post 10845264)
Can you adjust fuel with the Cobb tuner?

Thanks

Not on the Accessport itself, but you can make changes to virtually any table in the ECU using our Accesstuner Race software.

Marshall@COBB

btack Jun 12, 2013 05:03 PM

I've had my AP for 3 months now and love it. I'd highly recommend the accessport. Unless you are trying to go for extreemely high HP #'s the AP will be a great match for you. Also with the ability to download ATR for free, how can you beat that!

From what I've found customer support is no too bad either. For most things:D

DarksideNOW Nov 1, 2014 04:50 PM

Cab dealers tell on a 14 MR

Cab dealers tell on a 14 MR if you install a cobb ap ?? If you flash it to stock b4 you bring it in

rico05 Nov 2, 2014 05:53 PM

There is a flash counter in the ECU now. So theoretically, yes. They can see that you have flashed it, and how many time you have done so. Essentially, this was done to give the dealership the ability to deny warranty claims.

DarksideNOW Nov 5, 2014 08:49 AM

Bought stage 3 kit evo x for sale now lol

I guess I'll be selling the whole kit. Everything is still brand-new how it came shipped stage 3 evo x kit 08-14 mr