Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!
View Poll Results: Look at the Title
Go for it. Victory is the only outcome.
89.19%
Not worth coming out of retirement. Go out on the last high note.
8.11%
It's too close to call... in other words, don't really feel like going out on a limb.
2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Should I or Shouldn't I? Read the Post before voting.

Old Jun 14, 2002, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I or Shouldn't I? Read the Post before voting.

K, this should be pretty simple. Guy is running his mouth, and a 2000 Cavalier coupe with a "custom fabbed" short ram, and an exhaust (probably not a full cat back, but, let's assume so for worst case scenario). When I say custom fabbed, I mean he bought something like a superstreet filter, ripped out his box, and plugged it in where the box was. Anyway, the Cavvy outweighs the ES by a little over a hundred lbs, has a similar compression ratio, but a slightly higher displacement in the 2.2L, and the hp/tq is 115/135.

Now, I'm kind of trying to get myself out of racing, but, I've been waiting for this guy to challenge me, and now that he has, I'll be honest, I'm kind of not interested, but, at the same time, if I can score an easy win... why not? The two things I want are this: vote if I should go for it or not based on whether or not I would win. Second, after you vote, please do post saying why or why not, and also try to give me a semi-accurate current hp rating of his car, and mine with the Injen CAI and Apexi full catback. There really is no time limit, because I'm probably gonna wait until I can get some new rubber and wheels. But, it just depends on what the general response is. Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

im not gonna vote on this, but i will say something///

There is no shame in loosing against a car that is faster than yours,
But there is shame in loosing against a car because of your lack of driving skillz.

Now if you loose though dont be a little ***** and make excuses. Cause you just got your *** stomped. And if you win, dont be a little ***** either, congradulate the other driver on his efforts and move on.

Sounds to me like the cars are even in performance. Just depends on who would stiff'n up at race time and make a mistake that will cost them the race. So go for it.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

I say go for it, you can take him. If you lose then oh well, if you win all the better.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

This post will probable be killed anyways.

Both manual? If so, driver's race, because GM has improved the late model 'valier. It's a matter of who can put the power down effective to the ground.

If it's the early 90's, it's a different story.

ez4me2c3d, you're correct.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Well, this isn't a kill kind of thing.... this will be a designated legal strip. I would never, ever street race illegally

In any case, yes, he is running a manual.

And, I have always been a gracious loser when I've lost, and not gloated when I won. The once I've lost in the last year has been to a V6 Camaro... let's not start on that, it was when I first got the car, and had ALOT more confidence than I should have. In any case... really, I do it for the fun of it, and, yeah, I like to win, but, if you lose, you lose. It sucks, but, it happens.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you Bahamut... just how i see things, glad to see you agree. I can't stand people who loose then make big *** excuses, or the one that tops it all is when someone wins then they "Retire Champion"

good luck on the race their dude, and let us know how it goes...until that day gentlemen

Last edited by ez4me2c3d; Jun 14, 2002 at 10:59 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 11:06 PM

JUST DO IT!

I say u go for it! With the performance nearly equal to each other...it all depends on the driver....can't wait to see the results....

GOOD LUCK!
Old Jun 14, 2002, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, not gonna take that "Retire Champion" thing personally, because I'm gonna asume that it's not referring to me. Rhe reason I use the word "retired" is because I pretty much said I would avoid racing at all to my wife, and well, I'm trying to see if this would be worth another, "last" race. And, if I win, it'll just be another win on the record, and that's it. Not a really big deal. I already went out once on a high note, but, that's not saying that I consider myself champ, just because I ended up ahead when I thought I was gonna lose for sure. I'm not gonna say what it was, because I don't want this to get killed because I mention... kills. Anyway, my long rambling point is this: I win, I'll be glad, and I'll not race until another appealing one comes along. I'll choose my battles, and really only do it if it's an even match, or the other guy is talking trash, and will definitely go down. If I lose, well, I've lost before to that Camaro, and while it will be disappointing, I will readily admit it was due to the fact that it was me not being up to par as a driver, and that's that.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

you'd get spanked.

I had a headstart on a cavi hooked up and he spanked me ......

but actaully im not sure if it was the Z version cuz it was shaved but he destroyed me.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 03:38 AM

Power..

what most people dont realize is that Peak HP is not the determining factor of power and/or speed. Gear ratios and the amount of HP throught the powerband is what makes you fast... Having 115hp at 5500rpm and like 66hp at 3500 will probably lose to someeone with 110hp at 5500 rpm and 85hp at 3500rpm.. especially in a sprint..

PS: You got this fool.. not even close
Old Jun 15, 2002, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

That probably was a Z24... and they are pushing 150 hp. I know better than to think that is in range. This guy is just running the base model Coupe, which has 115 hp, but 135 torque. Like I said, it's not really hooked up, just in that the only mods he has are similar to mine, but, less than superior. In that the "short ram" isn't getting any air flow, and the exhaust is more than likely just is a muffler, not a cat back. So, basically, I think that if anything, I have the power advantage. The only thing is that he has about a hundered lbs (I had that backwards in that first post, I think I looked at the curb weight on the Z24, which has 100 lbs more than the Lancer) less than the Lancer. So, all in all, it's just a matter of how much of a power advantage you think is there. I think that is the real subject for vote here. Just look to the left to see my mods. I might have some of the Tein S-techs before this actually goes down, but, that won't matter a whole lot.
Old Jun 17, 2002, 05:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think you stand a good chance. Best of luck.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Jun 17, 2002 at 06:42 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2002, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

he's bagged...i raced the 2.2 cavi and nailed him..you've got similar mods, he should be done in like 28 year old **** stars.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 09:02 PM

My friend has the 2002 cavalier with 2.2 ecotech junk engine. His car is the one that replaces the z24 for '02.(its the LS coupe with 140 horse) He was talking smack the other weekend and we raced. I hoed him. I beat him by 8 car lenghts. I ran like 17 secs with tire spin. Anyhow, you have this cav. BTW all we done to our cars was replace the airbox filters.

Brian

Last edited by DaddyWags; Jun 24, 2002 at 09:08 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2002, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Whats all the voting and debating about? I should be reading this in the kill forums already!!!!!

Search this Thread