Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

20th Annual DSM/EVO Shootout

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmfan95
I've always ran ESA in the past Shootouts, so I'm curious about the EE class. Will full slicks be allowed in EE, or do we have to stick to a DOT tire?
Full rules are on page 1. EE is DOT tire only. ESA is Radial tire only.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
Jarrod Hoops and Dave Sutton are typically at the Shootout and both ran the course you are poking at last year. This particular race neither one competed at. When both of them were there I placed third behind them in the autocross. If you aren't familar with who those two are or how fast they are check them out. Placing right behind them in my car is an accomplishment.

Also, as a BTW, my car actually runs 9.0 at 159 mph, just needs Kevin in it and slicks, no other changes at all. So my everyday 9.04 second car autocrosses too
Yes thats my definition of everyday 10 sec. car though, Driving it to the track in its DD state and seeing what it runs.

It would be cool to see either of those guys and the matchup it creates of whats faster in your max effort class a drag car or an autox car, Like i said they would need a resonably quick straight line car too.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by getsideways
Yes thats my definition of everyday 10 sec. car though, Driving it to the track in its DD state and seeing what it runs.

It would be cool to see either of those guys and the matchup it creates of whats faster in your max effort class a drag car or an autox car, Like i said they would need a resonably quick straight line car too.
Understood, yes with my retarded *** in the car it's only a low 10 second car. I think this year is going to be a big change in the overall performance of the field. The class is catching on quickly so the level of the cars/drivers will rise exponentially in the next few years. I believe the changes I'm making to my car now and the ones I did towards the end of last season will make it a hard combination to beat.....we will see!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

^If you find a way to add some Camber and or Wider street tires it will help, I dont know how much you can change before it really starts hurting your e.t. though if sure you have been trying to figure that out.
Did you end up swapping spring rates to something stiffer in the rear? Add a rear sway bar or already had one? I know you posted up a thread a while back about suspension setup i never caught what came of it though or if you ended up with actual test results?

Another one ive been wondering is how/if you are dealing with high crankcase pressure, sometimes its an issue around the corners for some with catch cans filling up because of oil sloshing into the vent tube, any comments?

Im working on a built motor project and never needed a catch can on the stock block.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by getsideways
^If you find a way to add some Camber and or Wider street tires it will help, I dont know how much you can change before it really starts hurting your e.t. though if sure you have been trying to figure that out.
Did you end up swapping spring rates to something stiffer in the rear? Add a rear sway bar or already had one? I know you posted up a thread a while back about suspension setup i never caught what came of it though or if you ended up with actual test results?

Another one ive been wondering is how/if you are dealing with high crankcase pressure, sometimes its an issue around the corners for some with catch cans filling up because of oil sloshing into the vent tube, any comments?

Im working on a built motor project and never needed a catch can on the stock block.
I'm understand and appreciate what you are trying to tell me, I'm very aware of how to set the car up. Doing these multi-purpose event builds though leaves something in the set-up that has to be sacrificed at all times. You can't build a car to autocross at a National level and then expect it to be the quickest in drags and vice-versa.

The car went to a nice wide/sticky tire at the end of the year and better spring set up. The springs will improve again for this season, or should, based on drag testing first. I full expect the car run at least mid 9's with even my non-shifting self behind the wheel this season, on radials.

I have no problems at all with our catch can design, oil drains back to the crankcase with it, so it's always empty. High crank case pressure is typically another problem, like a poor engine build.

I have front and rear aftermarket bars on my car.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
You can't build a car to autocross at a National level and then expect it to be the quickest in drags and vice-versa.

This is what makes your max challenge event so cool, and IMO kinda shows what is and isnt a truly fast and well rounded car.

Are you going to share what you decided to use for spring rates? I know nothing about drag rates on evos however when i see some of the STM videos for example their cars appear to squat really bad so im guessing its rather soft.

The autox crowd seem to run anywhere from 9/10 up to 16/18 depending mostly on tire,
I do a lot of higher speed stuff and settled at 12/14 but am going to try 11/13 this year as im doing way more with street tires.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

My spring rates as of right now are the same as they were, 8k/8k, that will change this year if all goes well with the drag testing first.

The most common front spring for guys with dual purpose cars (based on the two threads I have running about suspension testing) is 8k front and 10k rear. The really hard core autocross only guys, running on race tires go up substantially from there, 12/14k fronts and 14/16k years, those won't ever make it on my car, too hard on the street for me and I can't dedicate my car to just doing one thing well. I run at three different multi-purpose type events like this per year and like doing that over just one type of racing.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

I got a call today from the manager of Motel 6. They want their entire hotel booked with Shootout participants!! She has offered special rates for you guys and here they are:

16th, $46.74
17th and 18th, $80.74
19th, $38.24

These rates do not include tax. I think it's pretty outstanding that they called and want the hotel booked. This hotel is in Milan, about 6 miles north of Norwalk.

Last edited by David Buschur; Mar 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hell yea! Thats where I stayed at last year. I am gonna book asap! I imagine you call and tell her she, you are a shootout participant?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey david, my exhaust exits out the front bumper in front of the passenger wheel. IT DOES have a muffler. Is that considered a full exhaust or not?

also have a stock location tubular header with a stock appearing turbo.

Just wanting to know if I'd qualify for the stock location turbo classes.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Absolutely NOT, it has to exit at the rear of the car.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Got it, thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Vacation time allotted for attendance!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
David is that hotel on the strip with the other 2 hotels and bars? or is that the one a few miles up the road
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

It's up the road about 8 miles Dan, some other DSM guys stay there, they like it out that way because it's quieter. I think I got drunk there last year! haha

Quick Reply: 20th Annual DSM/EVO Shootout