Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

First time at the track with the EVO! BitterSweet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First time at the track with the EVO! BitterSweet

Well last friday I went to the local track, Empire Dragway. I have never ran my evo in an offical quarter mile before, but have ran other cars there. My evo is pretty much a highway DDer. If "playing" presents its self I entertain the idea.

First off it was MOMs night, Mustangs on Mustangs, let me tell you I have never seen so many mustangs in my entire life other than a MOMs night. Weather was cool and track was preped pretty well imo. I have never launched my car with its current setup so I was a little reluctant to run. Later in the night I said screw it lets go break something! Thinking that I really wouldnt.

I ended up getting a fairly good 60ft of 1.734 on some all season tires with stock wheels. ETed at the 1/8th at 93.47 mph. Car is a full weight car with a sunroof and spare tire. ET was a 11.721 with a mph of 113. My motor took a turn for the worst after the 1/8th mile so I left of and kinda coasted across the finish line. I didnt know what happend to the car at the time but later we trailered it home and cylinder 2 let go.

This is the fastest I have ever ran a quarter mile time in and the car ran like a raped ape. My two step was at 6k and thats where I launched it at. Slipped the clutch a little. I actually never really ran my car that hard. The plus side to the night was me beating a stroked big block mopar. I believe the hood said stroked 418? not sure but the car was a dedicated drag car that showed up on a trailer.

Mods are in the sig.

Any advice for motors I am all ears for. I believe I will try and get a BR 2.0 LR. STM has great luck with them it looks like.

But heres the slip
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You dont seem very bummed about your engine. You must be a baller!

Nice time!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No I am not a baller I wish! just as everyone else does! I do understand that things break and Im not really one to complain on forums. I dont really know the history of the motor I bought the car with the JAM 2.3 and stock turbo. Seamed weird to me that someone would build a motor and not go with a bigger turbo. So I figured it was removed and the stock turbo was put back on. I had the transmission gone through by Shep, so I figured if something let go in the near future it would be the motor and unfortuneately I was right.

I had a 06 STI that was a complete nightmare before I owned the evo, PITA to modify and work on. Blew that motor on the way home from the tune.... I will not mention names but I will never go back to that shop for anything I want or need. So I understand that things break when they are pushed. I believe JAM rates the short block at 650hp I was at 466whp and 450 wtq on STMs dyno. So I could have been in that neighborhood if it was a crank rating. Im sure the drivetrain sucks up alot of losses.

As for my car, I am not even thinking it will be on the road again till next year. the seasons almost done and its not my only car. I have a 02 Jeep liberty that im rocking now so I will save and build it to what I want the right way. I havent been to the track in a couple of years and hitting it up made me remember how addicting it is.

I believe I will be going with a BR 2.0 LR with the aluminum rods. Sourcing all of my other parts through STM. Ive done all my other business through them with this car and they are very helpful. I defineately recommend them to anyone!